Weekly Photo Contest (09 Aug - 15 Aug) Topic - Festival

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SonicChronicler, Aug 9, 2011.

1. SonicChronicler macrumors member

SonicChronicler

Weekly Photo Contest (09 Aug - 15 Aug) Topic - Festival

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
    (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Topic: Festival

Sorry for the late arrival of this new topic, but I have been away for a couple of days at.... The Edinburgh Festival. So, I thought, what better subject to use? Festival and all its different connotations. I look forward to seeing your submissions.

2. Tracheotomy Bob macrumors member

I'm shocked to find that nobody has posted anything yet. On those grounds I'll kick off with something. Now I really can't win because I'm not around next week ( it's not like the picture would win anyway... ) so I'm just doing the decent thing and making a start.

It's another one from Datchet Fete. It's kind of summery and tenty so it kind of fits the festival theme.

[​IMG]
    Sunlight by Tracheotomy Bob, on Flickr

3. SB123 macrumors member

I just thought this one looked pretty cool....

[​IMG]

4. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

DSC_4625.jpg
    this kid got an earful from his mother for walking on the artwork

his posture speaks volumes;)

5. bob118, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

bob118 macrumors newbie

Colorful Lights

This was taken at the Big E in Mass last year thought the trailing lights gave it some motion in darkness

Attached Files:

6. acearchie, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Tricky subject but I went to the local medieval festival here in France and tried my best!

[​IMG]
    IMG_8764.jpg by acearchie, on Flickr

7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Did it end yet? The reason I ask is because 09 Aug - 15 Aug is only 6 days.

8. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

9. SonicChronicler thread starter macrumors member

SonicChronicler

10. SonicChronicler thread starter macrumors member

SonicChronicler

Good Evening, here is the voting from the Northumberland Jury:

Nice costume! He's well placed in the picture, surveying the festival of umberellas. The background is nicely blurred.
    I like what you were trying to do and the kid looking out of the car looks fairly sharp at that size, but the other kids are blurred and I can't get away from the big blown mass of the car side.

I couldn't get your image to thumbnail here. sorry.
    Your pic is, to me two things, firstly it's a study of the pavement art, but secondly you have drawn our attention to the mother and child. Unfortunately, if you hadn't mentioned them, my eyes probably wouldn't have been drawn to them. I think I would either have closed in on them, or only concentrated on the art and missed out the passers by altogether because it does look like it would be really interesting.

I like fairground photos. Colourful light trails make for interesting subjects. When viewed at the larger size, the ferris wheel cars look blurred. I'm not sure if that is due to them moving. Did you use a tripod for this or handheld?

I'm quite interested in what was going on here. They are striking subjects. I think the depth of field is slightly too shallow, viewing the full size on your flikr, the lady is much sharper than the girl. I think I might have recomposed so that they were further to the left of the frame, probably missing out the head of the other lady.

Nice parrots. The main guy on the left is in the wrong position for you, his face is obscured.

This one really makes me want to know what is going on. It's difficult taking photos from within a crowd. Somebody's head always gets in the way. I think I would have cropped the image a bit to remove the tops of the other heads I could omit and sharpened the image a bit. This one probably gives me the most feeling of festivities going on.

Another ferris wheel I think. I'm not sure if this gets across what you were trying to capture. I don't think I could have taken I was looking for without taking loads, moving about until I had the right angle. It's not quite abstract, but there's not a real focal point for me.

-----------

So to the result:

3rd. Tracheotomy Bob
    2nd. emorydunn
    1st. acearchie - it's the image that makes me want to know more.

-----------

So. Thanks very much everyone for taking part. Over to acearchie for the new week's challenge.

11. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for the judging!

I will have the new contest up shortly.

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Congratulations acearchie - it was a difficult topic. Well done.

13. Tracheotomy Bob macrumors member

3rd? Amazing!

Given that I'm only back online now it's a good thing I didn't win ( I think I came a bit too close for comfort though ) but I'm well chuffed with 3rd.

Anyway, thanks for the judging and well done to acearchie.

tb