Weekly Photo Contest (14 - 21 Feb) Topic : Winter sports

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Patriks7, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time stamp)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last weeks winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
    (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Topic : Winter sports

Doesn't have to be specifically of the sport, it can also show the atmosphere surrounding it. And I don't mean only professional sports, if you play pond hockey and have a picture of that, I'm fine with it.

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I guess I'll get this one started...

The Sky Chair at Cypress Mountain Ski Hill at Sunset

[​IMG]
    (click for larger version)

3. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

Snowboard slash

[​IMG]

ISO 100
    20mm
    f/5.6
    1/1250
    7d
    Sigma 10-20mm f/4

4. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

5. rebby macrumors 6502

Building snow forts is a "winter sport" for the kids around here...

[​IMG]
    Hunter by crebelein, on Flickr

6. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I just received a PM from Patriks7 (this weeks judge) - he is unable to judge due to circumstances beyond his control and asked me as last weeks winner to take over as a sort of deputy.
    As long as nobody has a complaint about that then I am happy to do the job.

7. rebby macrumors 6502

You did a great job last week. I'd be surprised if anybody had an objection.

8. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Ditto

9. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

We are heading towards the last few hours to get your photo in this week.

Good luck.

10. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

11. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

12. Chappers, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

This is tough with only 6 photos to judge. I always try to be honest when judging so here goes on behalf of last weeks winner Patriks7 .........

VirtualRain - yours is a nicely taken photo with nice lighting but it lacks something that I can quite put my finger on. It fits the theme that Patriks7 chose, however a closer shot of the ski lift may have given more of a sense of winter sports.

davegregory - I wasn't totally sure about this at first glance but I a second look meant I could see what you were trying to achieve. What changes did you make to the original. I know its the snow but it feels a bit white but I still find myself looking at over and over.
    I like it - very action packed and dramatic.

cupcakes2000 - very nice shot - captures theme well and is certainly full of action and I love the contrasts within it. The main subject of the picture doing a huge sweep of snow against what looks like fairly sedate skiers in the background. Then there is the contrasts of the sky. I like this. I wasn't sure about the light on the right but I tried to crop it down and wasn't happy - I think I prefer your framing. Very interesting and exciting.

JDDavis - I'm sure I've seen this in the past and loved it then as I do now. It's just such an interesting shot but I'd have edited out the rope, although I understand why due to contest theme you didn't. I think the sky and figures/climbers in the background give enough indicators of this slope, the climb and its very cool perspective.

rebby - Well having read Patriks7 theme list - I can see building snow forts is a sport. Looks like a lot of hard work. Its a great snap - but my best advice would be to check the background and framing of each photo you take.

Indydenny - You and rebby remind me of many a snap I've taken of my son in the snow. Very difficult is how I would describe the white of it all. This is the biggest problem with photos involving snow and the reason I'm glad I'm judging but not entering this week.

This is even tougher because each of the three I have chosen could easily be the winner.

But here they are (although I'd like to stress even as I write this Im not sure which one will win)

3rd davegregory

2nd JDDavis

and

1st cupcakes2000

Congratulations cupcakes2000 - its over to you to select and run a new theme for the next contest

13. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Thanks man! I'll get right on it!! Expect a new one very soon!!

Good critique btw, I hope I can do as well!

14. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

Applause to all.

JD - would love to hear the story behind how you came to take that photograph. I have visions of you anchored with your ice ax in one hand, whilst taking the photo with the other.

15. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Chappers - thanks for stepping in and judging and congrats cupcakes. I love that shot and it's fantastic in B&W.

AOB - I wish it was that dramatic but it wasn't quite that bad. That's about halfway up the Petit Verte in the French Alps. It's a relatively moderate climb by Alps standards. Most would consider it a warm up. The pitch is probably a little greater than 55 degrees so it's steep but not so steep you can't take both hands off. The vertical relief in the Alps is amazing (14k foot mountains and 3k foot valleys) so that makes everything feel much steeper. Here's a shot from the same spot of my friend above me. It shows better what the climbing was like.

Attached Files:

16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

It was very tough to judge, I really did struggle.

Good luck everyone on the next one.

17. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Thanks a lot for taking over, you did a great job (again)! Congrats to the winner! Great shots overall.