Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I am so sorry everyone. This weekend got away from me. Since I am already running behind getting out the door this morning here are the winners

3rd place Puckman

2nd place NeGRit0

1st place Laird Knox

Will await the next contest

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Congrats to the winners and well done to everyone who has submitted this week - definitely a different one this week.

Jeff, congrats and looking forward to your theme! ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well done everyone. My effort was a bit rubbish, as the multicoloured light I took with me died in the field (worked fine at home of course!). Plus it was my first effort.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Well done everyone. My effort was a bit rubbish, as the multicoloured light I took with me died in the field (worked fine at home of course!). Plus it was my first effort.

I liked it myself; better than those who chickened out (meaning me :eek:)

Cheers :)

Hugh

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Congrats to the winners. I have no idea what Laird's actually is, but we'll done.

Personally I loved Mr Evans' shot. Really good idea.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Favourites this side would be Mr Evans' too and also Logista's Spirograph. Beautiful effect.

I am ashamed of mine now, maybe I should have not posted and been a coward too!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Ah man you are being polite. The light was terrible... Compared to the crisp beautiful lighting of the others it was rotten but, i tried so i am happy.

Thank you though.

No I really did like it. Reminded me of the end sequence in 2001 A Space Odyssey.

I haven't mentioned just how spectacular the Fireman's example shot was. Awesome!

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I am so sorry everyone. This weekend got away from me. Since I am already running behind getting out the door this morning here are the winners

3rd place Puckman

2nd place NeGRit0

1st place Laird Knox

Oh heck, now I have to judge another contest!

Err, I mean thanks! I wasn't sure if this one fit the theme you were looking for as the light source wasn't visible in the image. I guess it did. ;)

I was down and out over the weekend with the flu so give me a bit to start a new contest. I'll post something later today.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Hope you're over the worst of it Laird. I got knocked for six by the flu a couple of months ago - nasty business.

What was your photo of anyway?

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Congrats to the winners. I have no idea what Laird's actually is, but we'll done.

Personally I loved Mr Evans' shot. Really good idea.

I agree, Mister Evan's shot was well executed. I can appreciate the effort - people called me crazy when I strapped $6000 worth of gear to the hood of my Jeep. :D

1185962_604206689631834_1806075052_n.jpg

As for my shot you are looking at an image 52 million years in the making. Two summers ago I did some fossil digging in Fossil Butte, Montana. What you see here are two of the fossils I split out of the rock. You can't really see any detail on the lower piece but it is from a mass extinction event and has at least a dozen fish on it. The smaller piece on top has a fish about half way through the image just above the horizontal ridge. you can see the light skimming off of the backbone.

I had the two pieces separated by about a quarter inch by some clear beads. I then skimmed a tungsten light source across the top rock from the upper right. A blue light was skimmed across the lower rock and leading edge of the upper rock from the upper left. The blue light was then bounced back across the top with a mirror. The fun part is that the surface is similar to lightly textured drywall but the details are exaggerated by the edge lighting.

On top of the fossil there are some fishing flies and mono-filament fishing line. The strong tungsten source was diffracted by the line and lures causing them to take on a bit of a glow. That was rather unexpected and a pleasant surprise. Note the lure the furthest to the left. It is mostly sitting in a shadow but it is throwing off quite a bit of light on the surrounding rock face.

On the lower rock there are some additional fishing hooks and more of the clear beads (bubbles). There wasn't as much detail in the lower rock but it turned out OK

The whole thing was setup parallel to the floor with the tripod anchored above it and the camera shooting downward.

----------

Hope you're over the worst of it Laird. I got knocked for six by the flu a couple of months ago - nasty business.

What was your photo of anyway?

Thanks. I'm back at the office but still dealing with the lingering bits. I'm OK for the most part (well flu wise anyway). ;)

As you can see above I was already typing up the answer to your question. :)

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Weekly Photo Contest 17th-24th April - Painting with light

What a cool piece of rock. Great backstory. Thanks for sharing.

I got over my flu and then two weeks later got a really bad cold. Just something for you to look forward to maybe ;)

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I was gonna stick this one, but didn't want to put a pic up with my name watermarked on it, but I've just realised I could have just shared a square one from flickr and it would have cut my name at the bottom off :(

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I was gonna stick this one, but didn't want to put a pic up with my name watermarked on it, but I've just realised I could have just shared a square one from flickr and it would have cut my name at the bottom off :(

This isnt a secret society you know. You can put your name on it, we wont stalk you however if it is because you feel too good to lower yourself to be seen on here then we may be a tad miffed at you... :)

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
This isnt a secret society you know. You can put your name on it, we wont stalk you however if it is because you feel too good to lower yourself to be seen on here then we may be a tad miffed at you... :)

Its because I post in PRSI a fair old bit and haven't seen eye to eye with some of the posters...... better to be safe than sorry ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Oh heck, now I have to judge another contest!

Err, I mean thanks! I wasn't sure if this one fit the theme you were looking for as the light source wasn't visible in the image. I guess it did. ;)

I was down and out over the weekend with the flu so give me a bit to start a new contest. I'll post something later today.

How's that flu? Hopefully able to post a new contest soon?

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv

3rd place Puckman

2nd place NeGRit0

1st place Laird Knox

Thanks for the nod, and kudos to Jeff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.