Weekly Photo Contest: 19–26 February: Retro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kenoh, Feb 19, 2016.

1. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Welcome to this week's photo contest! :)

Theme: Retro

You guys produce sharp, modern, crisp, light, colourful works of art to die for. This time I want you to go old school, go washed out, go muted colours, go selective soft focus, go lomo, go retro but mostly? go have fun.

(I will be travelling on the 26th and will close the competition at 8pm GMT that day. Target C&C and results on 27th during day GMT)

Rules:
    • Be creative and have fun.
    • You may only submit one photo per contest.
    • Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.
    • The contest runs for one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread.)
    • At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
    • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

2. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

I've been shooting lately with my 120 year old 8x10, is that retro enough? ;)

3. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Great idea @kenoh Just to clarify, do you prefer photos in that style using modern cameras to show what can be done? How do scanned old images fit the brief?

4. kenoh, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016

kenoh thread starter macrumors demi-god

kenoh

I would love to see output from it. Hell, I would like to see pictures OF it!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2016 ---
    So. Honestly I am being somewhat open on purpose. At work, I am continually fascinated at how you can say something to a group of people, and half the room will interpret it one way, the other half another. So I find it interesting to see this interpretation manifest itself.

The challenge this week is like this. I am looking for pictures that embody retro. They can be a retro wash on a new photo to make it look like it was taken a long time ago or it can be an image taken a long time ago or it can be an image of something that IS retro.

I suppose I am being cruel by being intentionally broad.

What I am not looking for is 1970s beach holiday photos of us all in a more innocent time.

For example, MacRy strapping a 50 year old lens on a modern camera, or stillcrazymans pictures of decaying doors and old tools... :)

And it doesnt have to be on a grand scale. Finding beauty in the ordinary is of great interest to me.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

So anything from my wardrobe will be fine! :D

6. kenoh thread starter macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Except for the leather and rubber gear of questionable utility yes.... Ha ha ha

7. someoldguy macrumors 65816

8. kenoh thread starter macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Warming up already! Maybe I should have chosen an easier subject to judge!

Looking interesting so far.

9. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Yeah, but I wish they wouldn't bring out their best ones so early in the competition.

Cheers :)

Hugh

10. kenoh thread starter macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Ah but here's the rub. I am a special kind of crazy and you don't know what kind of mood I will be in by close of comp. They are good images so far. Right now at time of writing I have my top three - because there are only three posts :)

However that is not to say you wont post something that will resonate with me more than these do.

The thing is, you won't know unless you try... Doesn't hurt to have a bash and even if you don't get a podium finish, at least you will have had a go at a different style that you may not do when left to your own very capable devices. I will feel like I failed everyone if we don't all at least have a go.

And BTW! I am not responsible for anyone posting a portrait of their other half implying that by their age they qualify as retro! Thats all on you if you do that! :)

11. techgrunt macrumors member

techgrunt

image.jpeg

African American Civil War Memorial. Shot on Canon Rebel T5 with a 85mm.

12. Hughmac, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  13. highdefjunkie macrumors 6502

highdefjunkie

14. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

15. jkramerbob macrumors regular

16. CmdrLaForge, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

YosemiteValley1994.jpg

Yosemite Valley 1994. I shot on slide and scanned. The original is a color slide. Then I made it retro :) The original also had some grain but I added more.

Why I choose this one - basically I thought about to give the retro a certain spin and I thought of Ansel Adams. Well his doesn't look so retro and there is a thunderstorm.

--> One question here. I figured from the discussion between Ish and kenoh that it is fine to post pictures from the past and that we do not go out every week to find the picture for the contest, right?

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Yes photos don't have to be shot the week of the contest. Archive stuff is fine.

18. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Perfect. Even so it would a great opportunity to go out and shoot.

19. kenoh thread starter macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Exactly. While archive shots are cool. The idea is to get you out shooting and trying something new.

20. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

This was my grandfather's wristwatch. It still works, and I wear it on occasion.

[​IMG]
    Lord Elgin
    by Alex X, on Flickr

21. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Couldn't agree more. So whenever I find the time I will do so.

22. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

[​IMG]

A modern retro portrait of Ringo Starr || Lobby of Capital Records || Los Angeles, CA