Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

Wooden gate 1d resize.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CooperBox

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Right. Comp closed. Will get to the nigh on impossible task of calling out some winners here! Thanks all. Come back tomorrow for the standings

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I don't think I have shared this one before...

Edit: Oops, got distracted with work before I got my reply posted. Completely understand if I'm not in the running.
It is OK, I am still waiting for Laird Knox's to download from the BBS.... modem still negotiating... hope I get a 56K connection!

Reactions: NeGRit0

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
OK, Thanks all for the effort you have put in. Some fantastic shows of talent here. Now lets get to the hard part.

@Alexander.Of.Oz - Gorgeous capture of the church, such a beautiful day to have take the picture by the look of it. The sharpness is lovely as we have come to expect from you and the composition is interesting in that the subject is a rangefinder-esque in that it is central. I like the Sepia wash over the image but the slope of the ground (which I suspect was actually the case) is making the picture feel a bit weird to my eye. Fabulous narrow yet tall chapel. Nice.

@applefanboy - Incredible construction in this image. I remember these images from before. Were they made from actually wrapping someone in brown paper? Such a unique way of representing the conditions that soldiers faced in war time. The detail is superb. The colour palette adds to the effect greatly.

@someoldguy - Old town America. I can almost see you standing there in top hat and tails, with the cloth and flash in your hand, standing behind the wet plate camera. Retro to the extreme. Like the construct of the photo. Only thing is it seems to me to be tilted to the left. Now I know you are not one to miss your horizons so I am guessing this is intentional to add conflict to the image and it certainly worked. Great use of negative vignette and sepia wash to make it look like it was from the western times.

@techgrunt - A picture of something very beautiful. I believe children should all go to a war memorial to appreciate the more emotional side of war. So they appreciate that war is not like Call of Duty. Nice angle though maybe a little tight to get the words nicely in focus. Maybe a smaller aperture to get the wording nice and sharp would have helped. I like the colour palette again, seems to be a thread coming through.

@Badrottie - Nice picture of an old underground entrance (?) I like the framing and the symmetry of the arches. Maybe would have liked it more if you has taken a few steps forward and got more of that mural on the wall threre? Nice tones and grain added to make it look older. Well done.

@Hughmac - This looks like an old photo from my childhood. The faded wash adds that 1970s polaroid feel to it nicely. The beach protection posts add a nice leading line to the image and the wash really does hit that childhood, finding the old photos in a box emotion. Nice.

@highdefjunkie - Nice. I go to Barcelona with work quite a bit and i have a few images of the cathedral too but mainly in the dark. It is a lovely example of that style of architecture (notice I dodged naming the style - is it gothic?). Anyway nicely faded to hide the modern brick building right beside it and again, nice use of the sepia wash.

@Laird Knox - OK, you need to tell us what this is. This is a superb construction. I have been looking at this image for days trying to work out what it is. The faded blue, the yellowing white, the subject matter, the softening of the focus all adds to a great effect. Well done but is it aliens or not?

@jkramerbob - Lovely, heavy engineering at its most beautiful. I adore old trains like this. I am not a train spotter, more I like the engineering aspects of how they worked. The thought process that took them from heating water to produce steam and turning it into a form of propulsion. Superb, just like this image. Very well composed. I like the angle with a less common tilt angle to it to give the feel of size. Very well done and not over done on the retro colour scheme.

@CmdrLaForge - Yosemite from days gone by and thankfully, from the pictures recently, not been ruined by he virus that is the human race. We really do need to maintain these locations for their immense natural beauty. I hope to see Yosemite for myself one way. Beautiful image all the more so because it is retro for real. Taken in 1994 on slide film. Ansel Adams style. Very nice.

@AlexH - oh here we go, influencing the judges. I love watches and I have a special place in my heart for this style of watch. I would like to go to a pawn shop at some point and buy a watch that has been on adventures before reaching me, to have one with a domed crystal and that exact expanding strap. Lovely lovely piece. I really like the image. Lovely capture of detail and reflections in the tabeltop. Fantastic composition.

@Illuminated - Nice picture of an absolute legend. Ringo star is one of the greats. Nice capture. Were you there working or stalking? He is such a nice guy. Nice capture.

@deep diver - I have to be honest, I am not a fan of selective colour images. but the rest of the image is nicely captured. Nice example of something nice from the seemingly mundane. I like the capture, maybe think it would be better if the lock was visible? just a thought but lovely light, nice capture of the texture of the wood.

@MacRy - another attempt to knobble the judging. I really liked this image the first time I saw it. Sat for quite some time smiling at some of the text on the boxes. I recommend you all take a moment to do it as it is quite the fun image. I really like the look of the distressed boxes and then way it has been assembled. Despite being a modern image, the effect of the 50 year old lens and the subject matter lends itself beautifully.

@CooperBox - Fabulous items to take am image of. Old cockpit dial which looks like the one the Bell and Ross BR-03 watches were based on. Love the pocket watch and the cards. Speaks volumes of air force pilots whiling away the time between sorties playing cards for possessions. Played on a canvas makeshift table in a camp tent. Lovely atmosphere.

@anotherscotsman - Yes, very very nice. Actually not what I was thinking when posting the comp but as the entries have developed (pun), it has drawn me to this style of image. Lovely use of a retro look to capture a modern cityscape shot of a factory. Cracking image with lovely leading lines and focal point on the chimney stack. Nice ccolour scheme.

@MCH-1138 - Amazing that something that revolutionised the way we enjoy music not more than 14 years ago, is now absolutely retro! retro to me was a manual naturally aspirated engined car now we have an iPod which is simultaneously the latest and oldest form of this technology. That has to be something to be admired. Nicely captured.

@NeGRit0 - Fashionably late, pulling "a Laird Knox". Nice game changer there at the closing hour. Fabulous capture of old tech. Prime example of something that modern technology has yet to best for experience in joy of use. Fantastic colours and composition.

@Laird Knox - ASCII art. I am assuming this one was tongue in cheek but made me laugh thank you... I used to sit and download these for a laugh and print them on dot matrix printers at uni. Thank you. I needed a chuckle yesterday after work so really appreciated the timing.

Now, to the moment you all are waiting for... drum roll please.

I am going to go for the standing as follows:

Lots of great images. Lovely to get such a great turn out thank you. So I am thinking that I would like to say a special mention to HughMac for the creative thought on the 1970s ruined film look. Nicely done.

However, my wonky logic mind says...

3rd place: Laird Knox for the Aliens - you need to explain it to us.
2nd place: AnotherScotsman for that seemless blend of new vs old
1st place: NetGRit0 for stealing the winner in extra time.

Well done everyone. I was honoured to be able to judge this one. Thanks for putting in the time and effort.

NetGRit0, over to you.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well done everyone. Great set of images. Thanks for taking the time to critique all of them Ken. Not an easy task.
My image was of a World War One art exhibition made entirely of brown paper (nobody underneath). The lighting was terrible so I was left with some very grainy images as it was pre D750!).
So I thought the type of image and IQ lent itself very well to this type of processing.
Congrats to the winners. Looking forward to the next.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Thank you for appreciating my lazy "just add a bit of colour wash" entry; however, the real entries were great, and especially the winners :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: kenoh

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Great competition, and I have to say that I loved the antique sepia look captured in the images submitted by @highdefjunkie and @anotherscotsman. Each of those images could easily have been found on a postcard from 1910, or 1880, the sort you might find tucked away as a book marker - complete with copperplate handwriting and a date from 1912 - when looking over the effects of - say - mother's grandmother. Lovely, evocative images.

Loved, also, @Apple fanboy's World War 1 style shot - very powerful. Old style typewriters set my pulse racing - I love them, and love writing with them, so I also really liked @NeGRit0's picture. Very well taken.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Great feedback Ken and congrats to the winners. I've just realised that mine wasn't taken with an old lens at all, it was taken with my Voigt Nokton. It's been a long stressful week!

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thank you for appreciating my lazy "just add a bit of colour wash" entry; however, the real entries were great, and especially the winners :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Whatever works mate... no one sees how easy or hard it was to get there...

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Well done everyone. Great set of images. Thanks for taking the time to critique all of them Ken. Not an easy task.
My image was of a World War One art exhibition made entirely of brown paper (nobody underneath). The lighting was terrible so I was left with some very grainy images as it was pre D750!).
So I thought the type of image and IQ lent itself very well to this type of processing.
Congrats to the winners. Looking forward to the next.
Think that if there was no one underneath, then that makes the detail even more incredible. And to have the grain, I agree it adds to the effect.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Ken… Thanks for taking the time for the great commentary and judging . Here's what my entry started out as ….

main%20st1copy1024.jpg

I used the area by the water tank in the background to establish a level ; Bodie being in a valley , with the mine that supported the town on one side and a low hills on the other .Using the slope as a reference for straightening does real strange things to the building in front left . The conversion to b&w was done via Nik Silver Efex2 , using the antique plate 2 preset . Added a red filter to bring up the sky some , and pulled out/softened the grain as much as possible .

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Great competition, and I have to say that I loved the antique sepia look captured in the images submitted by @highdefjunkie and @anotherscotsman. Each of those images could easily have been found on a postcard from 1910, or 1880, the sort you might find tucked away as a book marker - complete with copperplate handwriting and a date from 1912 - when looking over the effects of - say - mother's grandmother. Lovely, evocative images.

Loved, also, @Apple fanboy's World War 1 style shot - very powerful. Old style typewriters set my pulse racing - I love them, and love writing with them, so I also really liked @NeGRit0's picture. Very well taken.
Kind of you to say so. The real skill was in the artists making the display. I just came along and took the picture.

techgrunt

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I was working as an intern for a producer on the 4th floor!
OK, Thanks all for the effort you have put in. Some fantastic shows of talent here. Now lets get to the hard part.

@Alexander.Of.Oz - Gorgeous capture of the church, such a beautiful day to have take the picture by the look of it. The sharpness is lovely as we have come to expect from you and the composition is interesting in that the subject is a rangefinder-esque in that it is central. I like the Sepia wash over the image but the slope of the ground (which I suspect was actually the case) is making the picture feel a bit weird to my eye. Fabulous narrow yet tall chapel. Nice.

@applefanboy - Incredible construction in this image. I remember these images from before. Were they made from actually wrapping someone in brown paper? Such a unique way of representing the conditions that soldiers faced in war time. The detail is superb. The colour palette adds to the effect greatly.

@someoldguy - Old town America. I can almost see you standing there in top hat and tails, with the cloth and flash in your hand, standing behind the wet plate camera. Retro to the extreme. Like the construct of the photo. Only thing is it seems to me to be tilted to the left. Now I know you are not one to miss your horizons so I am guessing this is intentional to add conflict to the image and it certainly worked. Great use of negative vignette and sepia wash to make it look like it was from the western times.

@techgrunt - A picture of something very beautiful. I believe children should all go to a war memorial to appreciate the more emotional side of war. So they appreciate that war is not like Call of Duty. Nice angle though maybe a little tight to get the words nicely in focus. Maybe a smaller aperture to get the wording nice and sharp would have helped. I like the colour palette again, seems to be a thread coming through.

@Badrottie - Nice picture of an old underground entrance (?) I like the framing and the symmetry of the arches. Maybe would have liked it more if you has taken a few steps forward and got more of that mural on the wall threre? Nice tones and grain added to make it look older. Well done.

@Hughmac - This looks like an old photo from my childhood. The faded wash adds that 1970s polaroid feel to it nicely. The beach protection posts add a nice leading line to the image and the wash really does hit that childhood, finding the old photos in a box emotion. Nice.

@highdefjunkie - Nice. I go to Barcelona with work quite a bit and i have a few images of the cathedral too but mainly in the dark. It is a lovely example of that style of architecture (notice I dodged naming the style - is it gothic?). Anyway nicely faded to hide the modern brick building right beside it and again, nice use of the sepia wash.

@Laird Knox - OK, you need to tell us what this is. This is a superb construction. I have been looking at this image for days trying to work out what it is. The faded blue, the yellowing white, the subject matter, the softening of the focus all adds to a great effect. Well done but is it aliens or not?

@jkramerbob - Lovely, heavy engineering at its most beautiful. I adore old trains like this. I am not a train spotter, more I like the engineering aspects of how they worked. The thought process that took them from heating water to produce steam and turning it into a form of propulsion. Superb, just like this image. Very well composed. I like the angle with a less common tilt angle to it to give the feel of size. Very well done and not over done on the retro colour scheme.

@CmdrLaForge - Yosemite from days gone by and thankfully, from the pictures recently, not been ruined by he virus that is the human race. We really do need to maintain these locations for their immense natural beauty. I hope to see Yosemite for myself one way. Beautiful image all the more so because it is retro for real. Taken in 1994 on slide film. Ansel Adams style. Very nice.

@AlexH - oh here we go, influencing the judges. I love watches and I have a special place in my heart for this style of watch. I would like to go to a pawn shop at some point and buy a watch that has been on adventures before reaching me, to have one with a domed crystal and that exact expanding strap. Lovely lovely piece. I really like the image. Lovely capture of detail and reflections in the tabeltop. Fantastic composition.

@Illuminated - Nice picture of an absolute legend. Ringo star is one of the greats. Nice capture. Were you there working or stalking? He is such a nice guy. Nice capture.

@deep diver - I have to be honest, I am not a fan of selective colour images. but the rest of the image is nicely captured. Nice example of something nice from the seemingly mundane. I like the capture, maybe think it would be better if the lock was visible? just a thought but lovely light, nice capture of the texture of the wood.

@MacRy - another attempt to knobble the judging. I really liked this image the first time I saw it. Sat for quite some time smiling at some of the text on the boxes. I recommend you all take a moment to do it as it is quite the fun image. I really like the look of the distressed boxes and then way it has been assembled. Despite being a modern image, the effect of the 50 year old lens and the subject matter lends itself beautifully.

@CooperBox - Fabulous items to take am image of. Old cockpit dial which looks like the one the Bell and Ross BR-03 watches were based on. Love the pocket watch and the cards. Speaks volumes of air force pilots whiling away the time between sorties playing cards for possessions. Played on a canvas makeshift table in a camp tent. Lovely atmosphere.

@anotherscotsman - Yes, very very nice. Actually not what I was thinking when posting the comp but as the entries have developed (pun), it has drawn me to this style of image. Lovely use of a retro look to capture a modern cityscape shot of a factory. Cracking image with lovely leading lines and focal point on the chimney stack. Nice ccolour scheme.

@MCH-1138 - Amazing that something that revolutionised the way we enjoy music not more than 14 years ago, is now absolutely retro! retro to me was a manual naturally aspirated engined car now we have an iPod which is simultaneously the latest and oldest form of this technology. That has to be something to be admired. Nicely captured.

@NeGRit0 - Fashionably late, pulling "a Laird Knox". Nice game changer there at the closing hour. Fabulous capture of old tech. Prime example of something that modern technology has yet to best for experience in joy of use. Fantastic colours and composition.

@Laird Knox - ASCII art. I am assuming this one was tongue in cheek but made me laugh thank you... I used to sit and download these for a laugh and print them on dot matrix printers at uni. Thank you. I needed a chuckle yesterday after work so really appreciated the timing.

Now, to the moment you all are waiting for... drum roll please.

I am going to go for the standing as follows:

Lots of great images. Lovely to get such a great turn out thank you. So I am thinking that I would like to say a special mention to HughMac for the creative thought on the 1970s ruined film look. Nicely done.

However, my wonky logic mind says...

3rd place: Laird Knox for the Aliens - you need to explain it to us.
2nd place: AnotherScotsman for that seemless blend of new vs old
1st place: NetGRit0 for stealing the winner in extra time.

Well done everyone. I was honoured to be able to judge this one. Thanks for putting in the time and effort.

NetGRit0, over to you.

Thank you so much for the time to critique and acknowledgement of my photo. I greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much again!!! Congratulations to everyone else. What a great set of talented photographers ee have here!!!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

I am not a fan of selective color either, but this was the only way I could make the image work. It was well into the Fall and everything was monochromatic. It did not work as a B&W or infrared (which is what I had initially tried for). I have a sepia architectural image I had thought about until I saw so many sepia images already submitted. There is no lock, only the carabiner.

I almost got arrested taking this picture. It was right after the Boston Marathon bombing. I was wearing a hoody sweatshirt and wearing by LowePro backpack. A cop saw mw coming out of the park and stopped me. He only let me go when my friends vouched for me.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Ken… Thanks for taking the time for the great commentary and judging . Here's what my entry started out as ….

main%20st1copy1024.jpg

I used the area by the water tank in the background to establish a level ; Bodie being in a valley , with the mine that supported the town on one side and a low hills on the other .Using the slope as a reference for straightening does real strange things to the building in front left . The conversion to b&w was done via Nik Silver Efex2 , using the antique plate 2 preset . Added a red filter to bring up the sky some , and pulled out/softened the grain as much as possible .
Lovely... Thanks for posting your process too..
[doublepost=1456601932][/doublepost]
Thank you for commenting on my too retro picture.

So I dont know LA. Maybe share so detail about it?
[doublepost=1456602046][/doublepost]
I was working as an intern for a producer on the 4th floor!

Nice! Had a great moment during the Baftas the other night. Adele did a shout out to one if our friends, her manager!
[doublepost=1456602229][/doublepost]
I am not a fan of selective color either, but this was the only way I could make the image work. It was well into the Fall and everything was monochromatic. It did not work as a B&W or infrared (which is what I had initially tried for). I have a sepia architectural image I had thought about until I saw so many sepia images already submitted. There is no lock, only the carabiner.

I almost got arrested taking this picture. It was right after the Boston Marathon bombing. I was wearing a hoody sweatshirt and wearing by LowePro backpack. A cop saw mw coming out of the park and stopped me. He only let me go when my friends vouched for me.

Ouch! Well earned shot. Thank you for sharing. I really didnt have the obvious sepia wash in mind when starting the comp but boy did you all step up to the plate! The sepia pictures were all nicely done.

Tough one like I said Inlike the tones and detail..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.