Weekly photo contest #2 (3/17/08)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Everythingisnt, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

This is the next thread in the "photo of the week" contest thread 'series'.

Big thanks to SLC Flyfishing for having facilitated the first one!

Rules (Copied from the first thread)
    #1 You may submit only one photo per contest.
    #2 The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).
    #3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. I think that a good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography. I think it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it and a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for starting a new thread containing a new contest and topic which again will run for exactly one week.

This weeks topic is: contrast

Contrast between almost anything; don't feel limited to things like colors, shadows, etc. There can be contrast between people, ideas, places...

And finally, don't feel intimidated to submit your photos :). The point of these contests, as explained by SLC Flyfishing, is to have some fun and help improve our photographic skills. Whether or not you win shouldn't be your biggest concern, as it's always hard to pick one photo above the rest, and almost every photo has lots of merit in its own right.

Anyway, good luck shooting, and I look forwards to seeing what you all come up with! :)

Edit: If a moderator sees this, might he/she edit the title to read "Weekly photo contest #2 (3/17/08)"? I was in ignorance of the proper format for the thread title..

2. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

9/11 was, of course, a terrible thing, but in the six and a half years since, Americans have, thankfully, been able to suppress the notion that we are constantly in danger.

In the Golan Heights - the mountainous intersection of Syria, Israel, and Lebanon - this simply is not the case. A year before this picture was taken, this mall was in the midst of a war zone, with rockets flying overhead daily. Even in the absence of international strife, there have been hundreds of suicide bombings in Israel since the mid 80s, leading to thousands of deaths - but more than that, it has resulted in the disruption of modern societal attitudes of what it means to be "safe".

At train stations or airports in America, if you see a member of the US armed forces standing guard, he or she is usually decked out in full combat attire. In the Middle East, the notion of violence disrupting daily life is so thoroughly ingrained that allowing soldiers to wear plain clothes is a way of normalizing life under the constant specter of war and terrorism.

So feel free to listen to your iPod, but remember - keep your M-16 ready.

[​IMG]

f: 3.5
    focal length: 26mm
    shutter: 1/20

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

From a fantastic concert I went to yesterday. ;)

Attached Files:

4. Blackhawk macrumors member

Can You See Me

Took this one the other day of my little girl in the backyard, she was playing Big Cat.

Attached Files:

5. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I'm not sure if commenting is part of the deal here on this contest thread, but I'll take a chance... :) I really like the slice of life type of shot, and you captured a compelling irony and contrast which would seem extremely out of place here in America, which makes the picture interesting to look at. I have to assume the soldier is Israeli, right? The weapon looks a lot like an HK 416 assault rifle. It's interesting how he's taped the magazine clip to the receiver and the rifle is basically "safe" until he jams that baby home and chambers a round. That way no one can grab the rifle from him and start shooting immediately, giving the soldier time to react and disarm the potential threat.

Anyway, nice photo, composition, exposure, sharpness, color and subject.

My contribution:

Clear cut

[​IMG]

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I had an error with my WiFi connection that caused me to make a double post.

SLC

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I said in the first contest that I didn't think commenting was appropriate, but I'm not really sure that I was right, I don't necessarily think its a bad thing. And patting other members on the back for a shot well done can never be bad! I mainly didn't want comments made that might sway the judge one way or another, but I don't think that's so much of a concern as I originally imagined it to be.

That being said, there are three awesome, just awesome photos that really take the topic and run with it! Great job everyone. I'm thinking of what I'll do with mine, but I'm having trouble coming up with my own creative interpretation.

SLC

8. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Hi All, new to this particular part of Macrumors (never knew there was a Digital Photography section! I was too focused on iPhone news...)

I normally love shooting wide open with my 50mm f/1.4 lens, but in this case I shouldn't have as we would have been better able to see the contrast between the happy parade going crowd and this lone, sad homeless man, completely oblivious to it all as he was walking through the middle of the parade.

I think there is still a contrast here on other levels.

[​IMG]

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
    Exposure: 1/2500 sec
    Aperture: f/1.4
    Focal Length: 50 mm
    ISO Speed: 100
    Exposure Program: Manual (always)

9. gamerz macrumors 6502

gamerz

10. Skyburning macrumors member

Contrast in age?

Attached Files:

11. Everythingisnt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

GREAT submissions so far!

Only two more days left, so be sure to get your submissions in :).

12. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

13. Everythingisnt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

I can't see your photo, maybe try re-uploading? (I'll check to see if it's just my computer, though)

14. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

It's posted via a URL (embedded photo with the little photo tool when you post). Are you still having problems seeing it? It comes up fine on the two different machines we have.

15. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Law guy, I'm not seeing it either. I don't even see the url link or anything...

16. otter macrumors 6502

17. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

18. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

RE: to Law guy and otter

Okay, I just checked it with IE, and all I get is a little image placeholder with an "x" in it, both on the original post and the reply one. I clicked on the "x" and nothing happened. My main laptop (Windows) browser is Firefox which doesn't even show the image placeholder, so I'll check later with Safari on my Mac (right now using my old Thinkpad and win2k with latest Firefox update.)

Something's going on with the photo link - maybe it's just slow, so the browsers give up and just move on...

Edit: What's the photo's url? Maybe just post the url as a link instead of an inline image...

19. oli2140 macrumors 6502

20. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

21. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I get it now... it requires a password, that's why Firefox didn't display the image and IE just displayed a images placeholder "x" . When I tried the direct link I got a login page, and of course I don't have the info to do that.

This happened before when someone linked to a photo they hosted on .mac, and they had it set to require a login before accessing the image. Once they changed that, everything worked fine.

Hope this helps clear things up. :)

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So I need to log into a website just to see law guy's image? :eek:

23. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Not if he disables the password requirement to access the pic. He has to do it on his account at the Canon photography forum at POTN (photography-on-the.net/forum/etc.etc.) Or give someone the password to access his account there, which I don't see happening...:cool:
    Or, I guess we could sign up for an account ourselves and have access to the image... I'm not totally sure what all would be required. Some forums require you to be a member to download other folks work so it can be tracked or something like that.

24. HomeingPigeon macrumors regular

What country did you take this in? The lettering on the signs looks to be russian or something like that?