Weekly Photo Contest (25 Sept - 2 Oct 2010): Curves

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jdavtz, Sep 25, 2010.

1. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme:
    Curves

Any interpretation you like.

Looking forward to seeing your masterpieces!
    --Jonathan.

2. freigeist macrumors newbie

An unusual one because this is a photo of an oil painting I painted years ago:

[​IMG]

3. Juanbond macrumors member

Juanbond

Curves

This picture was taken one evening on Beacon Hill, just south of downtown Seattle, Washington.

[​IMG]

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Old BullRing shopping centre - Birmingham, UK

[​IMG]

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Trying again. An Oregon coast lighthouse lens, up close and personal.
    [​IMG]

7. gaswerks macrumors 6502

bops ...

Attached Files:

8. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

9. liljohnny51 macrumors regular

10. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

11. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

[​IMG]

The dome on the German Parliament Building (Reichstag) in Berlin at Sunset.

The dome covers a conical array of mirrors which channels daylight into the lower chambers for eco-friendly lighting. A louver, which moves automatically with the sun, blocks direct sunlight from striking the mirror array.

13. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

[​IMG]

New Zealand, North island, March 2007.

Our rental Eunos Roadster (That's an MX-5/Miata to most) crossing the mountains of the Coromandel Peninsula.

14. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

15. jdavtz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still a few more days to go until this week's contest ends; please could we all hold off commenting on submissions until after it's closed and the winners are announced. I'm sure everyone participating will be very happy for comments, praise and criticism afterwards.

Thank you.
    Jonathan.

16. pintsizemacman macrumors regular

pintsizemacman

17. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

At Ease

[​IMG]

For a picture with a High-End Kodak Digital Camera; Not a DSLR I think this image came out quite well. ;) My granma's old Kodak broke so she had the warranty but they didn't make her camera anymore or sell it so she upgraded to a Kodak Z981 for $70 with a 5-year warranty. It's got some pretty cool features. But enough of the babbling. I can't wait til christmas when I get my DSLR :D

18. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

[​IMG]

Startrails + lightning bugs from earlier this summer

19. funkboy macrumors regular

Wow! You can still rent an NA Eunos (that's "first-generation Miata" to non-Mazda-geeks) in NZ? I suppose that's a testament to the reliability record of these cars :).

20. funkboy macrumors regular

"Lightpainting" on the cathedral in Chartres, France:

[​IMG]

The whole town was lit up this way back in May.

21. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Capitol Hill dome...clicked this in May 2010 on my school trip...just clicked this photo for fun...didn't know that it will come out so good...:)

Attached Files:

22. jdavtz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Results

I like this painting, although for me the ?drop of saliva on the lower lip is distracting. I'd love to see the painting, but I'm not sure that the photograph of the painting does it for me.

Well spotted group of cables; I keep wondering how it would look with their shadows visible as well.

Nicely executed and fits the theme very well

Moody and well-composed, although for me, for this contest, the diagonals left, right and centre distract from the curve.

Interesting, although I'm torn between the symmetry of the circles and the not-quite-symmetry of the composition and reflections.

Nice conjunction of tones, textures and shapes

Nicely composed and captured. I'd like the beak to be above the line in the rock, although I appreciate that at the moment of taking the photo things like that aren't apparent and it isn't always possible to recompose like that.

Very nice, the tones and composition and selection of subject matter.

For me this just feels a bit drab; the tilted horizon and cropped-off base of the flag don't help endear it to me. Sorry.

I definitely agree this looks better with the black background! How about putting a black border on it so you don't have to hope people will click through to the flickr page?

I really like this shot, the contrast of colours and depth of field and the shapes on and of the shell. It's beautiful.

Very nice capture, especially with the mixture of natural and artificial lighting; for this contest, I wonder how a square crop of the curvy building would look. The bottom third of the photo appears a bit wasted to me.

I can see the curves of the road, but I find the vegetation in the foreground distracting, and there's a lot of other (admittedly scenic) distraction from the road.

Interesting combination of colours and shapes

I like the colours here, and the bright green ?headlight really adds interest

Beautiful composition.

I've not looked at a lot of star trail photography, but this looks good to me.

So - overall winners:
    3rd place: MattSepeta
    2nd place: NikeZz
    1st place: mattyb240

Thanks to all for participating!
    Jonathan.