Weekly Photo Contest (6 - 13 Feb) Topic : Friendship

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chappers, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Chappers, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time stamp)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last weeks winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
    (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Topic : Friendship

I'm very open to all variations of the theme. Let your imagination run riot on this one - I'm open to anything

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

[​IMG]
    Taken in Jerusalem, in an area called the Christian Quarter which sits in the shadow of al-Aqsa and the Wailing Wall.

"They shared the weight of memory. They took up what others could no longer bear. Often, they carried each other, the wounded or weak."

3. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

with friends like these....

Attached Files:

4. Patriks7, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  5. AxisOfBeagles, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  6. Love macrumors 68000

Love

[​IMG]

Man, nature, animal. :)

(In the unlikely event I actually win this thing, I won't be within reach of the interweb from the 12th to the 19th - let the runner up do whatever with the contest. :))

7. jake.f macrumors 6502

8. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

9. acearchie, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

These are two of my friends who share birthdays one day apart. This photo was taken just after the changeover at midnight!

Click for lightbox view
    [​IMG]

10. swano macrumors member

Whistler

Myself on the left and my friend. I took a trip to Vancouver this weekend(Feb 5th). Probably the best weekend EVER!

Attached Files:

11. AoxomoxoA macrumors member

12. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

Not that long left on this weeks contest, this could be your last chance :)

13. rebby macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Snapshot of my wife and 9-month old son who was just diagnosed with PA w/VSD & MAPCA.

14. techie4life macrumors 6502

15. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

16. Chappers, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

Winning was hard but not as hard as judging - I will try to be honest. I did not have any preconceptions on this, I have had two occasions to learn who my friends are, hence the theme. Some of the entrants were honestly just snaps but it was great to see all of them.

neko girl - Sadly very green/red speckled, it is a snap of a great memory and fits the theme but the speckles knock it down.

flosseR - Great moment in time, I love your photos - this one is just a little tight a crop on the left and the kid in the water distracts from an otherwise very entertaining picture. As a father myself I know how difficult these shots are.

Patriks7 - This speaks of friends and I love a bit of contrast of the pigeons who are not buddies but reflect the two old chaps who are. I like it - love the motion blur as one man explains something to the other.

AxisOfBeagles - Love the thought and concentration as they stare at this - wish I could see more of what was so fascinating to them - great colours.

Love - I like this, however, I wish we could see a larger version in which the dog was a less obscured by rock. I also found the shadows on the right and on the centre rock distracting. So a cropped version would have been better for me.

jake.f - something different, though I suspect they're more than just friends. Nice shot. The birds compliment each other well. I take it you used the 55-250 zoom.

fcortese - as an ardent photographer of my own son - these three are very cute - back ground crowded - I'd have cropped it down a bit to put that bit more focus on them.

acearchie - well taken - I like these instant moments. Wish I could see just a bit more of the blondes profile.

swano - a buddies photo for sure - wish it had a bit more adventure, maybe of them snow boarding together.

AoxomoxoA - Cute shot - though I'd crop it tighter to the subjects. What camera did you use?

reby - I like kids photos but the flash is the big killer here with the distracting background. Happy memories and good to see your boy looking healthy here, is he OK now?

techie4life - nicely taken, caught at just the right moment, this one is growing on me.

Funkatronic - A nice happy photo of two cheerful friends, there is lots of character with these guys. Looked at your Flickr page - I'd have chosen this one as one friend seems to providing support to the other in the background. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4145/5438962002_5a34a45f35_b.jpg

So the results are

Joint third jake.f and acearchie. Didn't want a joint placing but thats life.

second : flosseR - the slight distractions mentioned knock it down - difficult choice.

First : Patriks7 - Captures a moment in time and I like that, impressionistic and full of feeling.

Over to you Patriks7 - you have 48 hours to start the next contest.

Congratulations.

17. jake.f macrumors 6502

Woo 3rd!!
    And yes I used the 55-250 for my shot.

18. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Would you have preferred this shot? Personally, I'm tied between the two photos.

Thanks for the judging! Good Job!

Attached Files:

19. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

I do prefer this version of the shot, you would have certainly made my choice a lot harder - it was all very close between the four I chose (as my top three :eek:).

20. rebby macrumors 6502

Yep, a spur of the moment shot and it does show through to the final version.

Overall I'd say that you did a pretty good job judging this week. I certainty agree with your assessments.

As for Blake's health, he's doing very well. Every bit as healthy as when I took that photo. It's surreal having to send him off for open heart surgery in just a few weeks. He's a tough little guy and he's going to do just fine. We're fortunate to have the Mayo Clinic right down the block as well (just a few hours), can't go wrong there.

21. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

As a dad, I feel for you - when its your child, it is tough.

Continued good luck with Blake

22. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

hmm.. i must be getting better.. second week in a row in 2nd place... goo avg :)

too bad I just sold off my entire nikon Kit!!!!! all gone... except the flash... well when you are about to buy a new house and need to move and don't want to incur any debt on the costs then some things have to go.. but if it all works out, gonna get new kit soon...

23. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Woooh thanks! Good job to all the other contestants.

New contest will be up within 10 hours!

24. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Thanks for the input and hard work in your evaluations. Great photos all. Patricks- great, great photo. It was my winner the second you posted it!