Weekly Photo Contest (8-15 Feb 2012) Topic - Food

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jabbott, Feb 8, 2012.

1. jabbott macrumors 6502

This week's topic is food. Feel free to describe the food also! It looks like it's been years since this topic was covered by a photo contest here. Best of luck to everyone who participates!

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
    (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. WRP, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

Eggs Benedict. My buddy is the manager of a local bar and they got a new chef. He was updating his weekend brunch menu and invited me to try the menu and take pics. I enjoyed all the tasty treats.

[​IMG]

3. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

4. cabernar macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    Chicago-Style by cabernar, on Flickr

Deep-dish pizza from my last trip to Chicago, and used it as a prop before tucking in. Needless to say, it got cold.

5. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Ocean City, NJ

Attached Files:

6. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

Stuffed Peppers

Tried making stuffed bell peppers for the first time..

[​IMG]

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

8. jabbott, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

jabbott thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, the contest is now officially over. I'm also officially hungry now. ;) Thanks to everyone who submitted an entry. Without further ado, here is my feedback for each submission:

WRP: Beautiful photo. Very good framing, lighting, depth of field, texture and variety of color. The photo is crisp and draws me in. Was this shot handheld or did you use some kind of object to stabilize the camera on?

Ravaroo: A good shot of what I'm sure is a tasty dish. The only thing I would change is the use of off-camera lighting (I'm assuming on-camera flash was used) to illuminate the dish from somewhere other than the camera. I would also reframe the dish a little to the right, but that's just the pickiness in me. :D

cabernar: Oooooh, one of my favorite dishes! Also a very nice photo. I like the perspective you chose to use with this - up close and personal. I also like the variety of color shown here. The photo makes me want to reach out and grab a piece. :) I think I would have exposed for just a little longer to brighten the pizza a little more, and experimented with a smaller aperture to increase the depth of field somewhat.

Keleko: Excellent use of depth of field here. Very good focal plane on the right hand - everything there is sharp, detailed and in focus. Nice, bright and colorful oranges, as they should be!

AlexH: Very nice collection of fruit. I like the side lighting and the water droplets. Lots of texture and variety of color here. I'm guessing the photo was taken at a slanted angle because the lemon looks like it's resting on the apple and lime. My first thought was "why isn't the lemon falling?". :eek:

Sideonecincy: Ah, a meal fit for a... prisoner? I wasn't quite sure what this was when I first saw it, until I looked up the date and realized its historical significance of being the last day Alcatraz was open as a prison. Interestingly, this photo on Flickr shows a slight variation, saying "Steamed whole wheat". I wonder if they have multiple menus posted or if someone just messed with it? As for your photo, there is a good balance of light and dark, the text is quite sharp and the tight framing must have been difficult!

deep diver: Interestingly enough, what draws my attention in this photo isn't the booth, but the pensive vendor. What is he looking at? Just what is he thinking? We may never know. :) It's also kind of funny that "Curly's Fries" offers spiral fries instead of their namesake curly fries. Certainly a colorful and sharp photo.

pakyooh: Very nice photo. Great use of lighting to create texture and bring out many light and dark regions, although there appears to be a slight overexposure of the front pepper's cheese (this could just be a difference in gamma between our displays). Nicely controlled depth of field draws focus on the first pepper. I think I would have rotated the framing by one degree clockwise to make the edges of each pepper more vertical.

cambookpro: Another one of my favorite foods. These look quite tasty. There is a bit of purple hue to the white surroundings, which could be attributable to the lighting or the tint applied by the camera. Or maybe it really was purple and my eyes are just deceiving me. :) I think more variety of color in the scene would help this one... perhaps having them on a plate with other food would make the composition really stand out more.

Here are the winners of this week's contest:

3rd: cabernar
    2nd: pakyooh
    1st: WRP

Congrats to the winners and thanks again for everyone who participated. Now to WRP for next week's contest!

9. Keleko macrumors 68000

They're oranges, not lemons. :) At least they're orange on my monitor.

Congrats to the food photo winners!

10. jabbott, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

jabbott thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting! Do you know where the oranges were grown? I've noticed that Florida oranges tend to be more orange in color than California oranges... I've also seen lemons that are larger than most oranges, so sizes aren't always intuitive. If the oranges are from California that would probably explain why I saw them as being more yellow.

It could also be my color acuity... I scored 24 at this color acuity testing website, and 24 isn't perfect by any means. :)

11. WRP macrumors 6502a

THANKS!

It was shot handheld. Not sure of the exact EXIF settings at the moment but I know I was shooting at f/2.8 with a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS (I can check when I get home from work). So technically it was image stabilized. It was a very dark garden-level bar but we set up near one of those small windows by the ceiling you find in those type of places.

There are tiny reflections of the bars lights in the eggs in the foreground (little yellow spots) but it was mostly lit by the daylight coming in from outside.

Thanks again! And I'll think up a topic today and get it posted tomorrow!

12. Keleko macrumors 68000

Sorry, I have no idea where they came from.