Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
California
Welcome to this weeks photo thread!

Theme: Late at night...

I don't stay up late as much anymore but once in a while, those sleepless nights creep up on you.

Rules:
You may only submit one photo per contest.
Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.
The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)
At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)
The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

astrosinmyeyes

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Vienna, Austria
The Long Walk Home

After a Long Night Out

Attachments

• IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 224

emtrey

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2006
Didn't have a tripod handy, so I used the roof of my car. Experimented with cropping out the empty space, but it removed the sense of scale.

Lighting the Night by emtreypics, on Flickr
Canon 7D, 35mm f/1.4L at f/8, ISO 200, 13sec.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Earth Hour on The Las Vegas Strip

earthhour2010.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 30
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 100

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
California
A couple of hours left until the contest closes. Just want to make sure you guys know I'm still on here.

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
California
Great job everyone. Have to do some work tonight so I'm pressed for time and can only do a write up for the top 3. I'll try to do the rest over the weekend.

3rd: Melizard
Scenery looks great. I think the image would be stronger if it was landscape and shows more of the surrounding.

2nd: acearchie
Very cinematic, I'm a sucker for shots that aren't too literal and can lead to a good story.

1st: fireman32
POV is killer! Composition is great, foreground frames the sky just right. Definitely want to know more about this shot!

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Great job everyone. Have to do some work tonight so I'm pressed for time and can only do a write up for the top 3. I'll try to do the rest over the weekend.

3rd: Melizard
Scenery looks great. I think the image would be stronger if it was landscape and shows more of the surrounding.

2nd: acearchie
Very cinematic, I'm a sucker for shots that aren't too literal and can lead to a good story.

1st: fireman32
POV is killer! Composition is great, foreground frames the sky just right. Definitely want to know more about this shot!

Well color me shocked. I did not think I had a winner this week but thank you for choosing me pakyooh. This shot was taken at my yearly trip to the NC mountains to shoot the fall colors and the waterfalls. I decided to try my hand at some astrophotography. This was a 30 second exposure and I used a flashlight to do some lightpainting on the trees.

I will come up with a new theme and post it shortly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.