Weekly photo Contest (April 15 - April 22 - Skin)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Somepix, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Somepix macrumors member

Somepix

Subject: Skin

Any kind of skin. Interpret any way you like.

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. VI™ macrumors 6502a

This was a difficult decision for which photo to submit. Eventually I decided on a photo I did of the owner of a tattoo shop that's local to me. Seemed somehow appropriate.

[​IMG]

3. BarryJ macrumors 6502a

BarryJ

4. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Newbie attempt at a decent image

Hi,

I am a newbie to the world of photography. Previously I had 2 settings on my camera - picture or video!

So, I am trying to learn how to be more interesting on my composition etc. Took this of my daughter's hands. Any abuse welcome.

Rig: Canon 1100d, 18-55mm kit.

Attached Files:

5. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

6. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

7. Somepix thread starter macrumors member

Somepix

This contest is now closed. I'll be back soon with commentaries and judgement.

8. Somepix thread starter macrumors member

Somepix

I'm in no way an expert and english is not my mother tongue. So, these comments an ratings should not be taken personal. I never intend to be offensive, but try to enhance a creative experience.

VI It' a cool tatoo shot. But it doesn't realy show the quality of the work of the tatoo artist, nor shows the tattooed skin.

BarryJ I like this portrait. Framing is good, with the green of the leaves making a contrast with the otherwise brownish color of the picture. Dof is well mastered. And yes, it shows "skin".

Kenoh This picture shows well the texture of the skin of the little hands, contrasting with the smoothness of the fabric. Dof is bit short, as the little thumb looks blurred, and colors could be a bit more saturated.

whodareswins Nice and sharp ;) shows skin on a flat background with a dynamic gesture. Lighting is ok, but there are some highlighted pixels on the thumb

Chappers Wow ! This is skin. Nice portrait, cool framing, good blending with background. The artifact on the right eyelid of the lady is distracting, and could have been easely cloned out (I know, it's kinda beeing picky, but...)

bchen1977/B] Yes, skin indeed. Could have been cropped more tightily on the hand, though, to emphasize human vs reptile skin.

VirtualRain/B] Definitly a nice picture. Lighting of the lady is excellent and the reflection of the moon on the water creates a romantic effect. Her hair discretely flying in the air gives life to an otherwise static image.

Nicolasdec/B] Interesting skin. The bright green on top is distracting from the "rusty" colors of skin, witch are otherwise the only colors on a grey back ground. Could have been cropped and cloned out. Dof is well mastered.

acearchie/B] Nice portrait of a lovely lady. I like the lighting from the side. The short Dof emphasizes her skin, eyes, nose and mouth, while blurring chin and forehead, which gives her a more intense look. Interesting.

deep diver/B] Good portrait too ;) The look of the subject could be improved by a more creative angle of view, or an object in the scene which would ad some life to the composition of the picture.

Third : acearchie/B] For the creative use of Dof and the lighting.

Second : Chappers For the intense treatment of the theme.

first : BarryJ/B] For the quality of the picture and the originality of the treatment of the theme.

Thanks for participating. Very interesting conteste. It's over to BarryJ

9. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

10. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

11. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

12. whodareswins macrumors regular

Can't say I agree with the results but congratulations anyway. Oh and thanks for the comments on mine :).

13. Somepix thread starter macrumors member

Somepix

All pix have something valuable. And every judge has his point of view. I think that one highly interesting point in this contest is that the winner can chose the next theme and comment the images. That's how we all learn the trade.

14. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I don't always agree with the result - I even won once and was convinced I wouldn't because of the quality of the other entrants. However it is far better to comment on the other photos at the end and say which ones you liked instead of sounding like a bad loser. The contest isn't serious except in learning and getting a bit of feed back.