Weekly Photo Contest ( April 22 thru 29 - Bent )

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BarryJ, Apr 23, 2012.

1. BarryJ macrumors 6502a

BarryJ

Subject: Bent

Think - Nature put a bend in it. "Bent". You might imagine there are a lot of "twists" english speakers could interpret this. Have fun.

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

----------

By way of explanation.

[​IMG]

2. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

3. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

4. BarryJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

BarryJ

Finished

"contest" is finished. It's Sunday the 29th where I live. Back with my selections in a bit.

5. BarryJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

BarryJ

"Bent". The twisted story of a winning photo.

Thanks for the entries, it was fun to see who would send what. As the previous "judge", I am not a photo pro. I just know what I like. So in the spirit of fun...

VI. Love the colour, the DOF but most of all, the snake's winning smile. That stick by the head would have me bugged, but hey, it's a SNAKE and snakes need sticks.

Melizard. Love the bend and again the DOF. Looks like flash fill light ??

Jabbott. What is that twisty, wound up bent thingy ? Is that a groove in the middle or is the focus soft on what must have been a challenging subject ?

Somepix. I love this shot. Lighting is soft. DOF is enough to have me think is that two pieces of wood or just the one ? Love the whorls in the grain.

Fcortese. Golden light, golden shot. I'm wondering what was on the other side of those rocks. Gotta wonder where that bend came from too. In my part of the world, it would be the wind.

AlexH. THis shot caught my eye from the first moment I saw it. I like the colour, the DOF allowing the wire to defocus off to the left... the vignetting. Some would suggest the horizon is off... not level. I wouldn't.

Sideonecincy. I dunno. I'm not sure this shot works well for me. I thinks the bends in the shot are leading my eye all over the place. There doesn't seem to be a comfortable place where my eye can start t wander around. That rectangle in the upper right does not help. Just saying. Could be me.

The awards...

3rd. Fcortese Tree Light and composition.

2nd. VI™ Snake More "bends" than you can shake a stick at and that eye and "smile".

1st. AlexH For allowing my eye and imagination to roam while looking a a photo.

Over to AlexH for this weeks effort. Thanks

BarryJ

6. Somepix macrumors member

Somepix

7. jabbott macrumors 6502

Thanks for the judging! I regrettably have no idea what it is, except it was some kind of plant material at the Denver Botanical Gardens... I was hoping somebody else would know. :p The subject was definitely challenging as it was small and there wasn't much lighting.

8. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Thank you for the feedback and the #1 pick! I appreciate it, especially with the creative interpretations I was up against! Great shots fellas!

New contest will be posted by tonight, stay tuned.

9. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Congrats AlexH and Wow, third place! I'm honored considering the talent here. Thanks for the review and feedback BarryJ! And congrats to all entrants. Some really nice stuff.