Weekly Photo Contest - April 30 - May 7 (Theme: Old School)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AlexH, Apr 29, 2012.

1. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Subject: Old School

This could be interpreted a number of ways, retro, timeless, old-fashioned, traditional, old school! Be creative and have at it!

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

3. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Not sure if this falls under any of those categories, but I worked hard on this regardless and I wanted to share it..

[​IMG]

It was three separate poses all edited in CS5

4. Melizard, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

Now this is the story all about how
    my life got flipped, turned upside down...

(don't ask me why the John Lennon wall in Prague reminds me of the Fresh Prince...)

[​IMG]
    John Lennon Wall by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

5. pmxperience macrumors regular

pmxperience

6. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I was thinking of Hitchcock when I shot and edited this.

[​IMG]

7. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

An old beauty.

Attached Files:

8. Mary208 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this falls under any of those categories, but I worked hard on this regardless and I wanted to share it..

9. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Haven't posted here in a long time! Here's my en[​IMG]try: old school style photo. :)

10. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

11. someoldguy macrumors 65816

12. AlexH thread starter macrumors 68000

AlexH

Contest ends this evening, so get your shots in! Looking good so far guys!

13. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

14. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

15. AlexH thread starter macrumors 68000

AlexH

Contest closed! I'll be judging tomorrow morning and announce the next winner. Great photographs everyone!

16. AlexH thread starter macrumors 68000

AlexH

Had some very interesting photographs this week (and some, well, non-photographic entries). Here we go:

acearchie - I like the feel of photograph, and the subject. Feels kind of retro party to me. Nice.

milbournosphere - Winner! Just kidding... Not even a photograph, dude...

BarryJ - Definitely old school! I like the composition and subject matter.

Dhelsdon - I like this shot, and can see how you did put some hard work into it. And I really wanted to try to find an old school angle I could use to justify high placement, but I couldn't. It's very cool, but not so old school.

Melizard - You get bonus life point for making a Fresh Prince reference. Plus that's a really cool photograph.

pmxperience - Makes me feel like I'm hanging out in old NY, about to catch a show. Nice feel to this one.

lharvest - I kept coming back to this one. It has great atmosphere, and really makes me long for some antique records and the story behind this abandoned piece of old school hardware. I love this shot. Well done.

Sideonecincy - Is that a door lock? Makes me think of some old school Vegas gambling high roller...

VI™ - One of the most artistic shots in the competition. I like the planning and execution you must have put in to get this shot. Great old school feeling.

dspalton - Wonderful shot! I can see why this is one of your favorites!

pukifloyd - I'm a sucker for black and white city shots. I really like this. It's black and white, which is old school.

cupcakes2000 - One of the things I like about antiques and old school objects is even though inanimate, design felt almost lifelike, it gave a car, for example, a personality in a way that, in my humble opinion, escapes most modern designs. Well done!

someoldguy - I wish I could go out on the street and shoot with this beauty! Great camera, old school, but still great.

fireman32 - Very old school! I like! I know this is nit-picky, but hey, I get to pretend to know about photography this week, but if this shot were taken from a low angle, it would probably have been in the top 3. To me, photographing automobiles is one of the hardest things to do.

Nicolasdec - I love the meshing of old and new in this shot. Great composition and contrast between the old school and new school!

The winners:
    3rd Place - dspalton
    2nd Place - cupcakes2000
    1st Place and winner of this weeks contest and all the monopoly money - lharvest

Congratulations! Well done! Next contest is all up to you!

17. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Thanks for judging and great job. Congrats to Iharvest, that was a great take on the contest. Did mine not show up? I noticed there was another one I couldn't see (Mary208). I usually insert pics as a link and not an attachment. The attachment function used to work fine but it seems now it doesn't work for everyone. I was in a hurry so I just loaded it as an attachment this time.

Oh well, looking forward to the next one.

18. BarryJ macrumors 6502a

BarryJ

Fun.

That was fun. Great winning shot too. Love the player.

Thanks for the comments and judging.

Barry

19. lharvest macrumors regular

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. I couldn't believe when I stumbled across the phonograph player in the woods, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I saw 'old school.' As always, there were plenty of great photos in this week's contest. Hopefully, everyone will have something to enter in the next one - I can't wait to see the entries.