Weekly Photo Contest April 6 to 13: Flowers (aka....where is spring?)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mollyc, Apr 6, 2018.

1. mollyc, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018

mollyc macrumors 68000

We are having the slowest start to spring here, and anyone who pays the slightest bit of attention to the POTD thread knows I have a "very small" affinity for flowers. :eek: :D So if spring won't happen outside, please help me find it here! Macro, grocery store bunch, a hillside of wildflowers. I don't care what kind, just bright happy colors!

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

The rules are as usual:

· The photographs must be your own work.

· Be creative and have fun.

· You may only submit one photo per contest.

· Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

· The contest runs for a week and starts now!

· At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.

· If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline for close, then a vote will be carried out to select a winner. This will be based on the number of "likes" each image has. In the event of a draw, the second place winner from the previous week will choose the tiebreaker.

· The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

· Please update the Weekly Contest Master List when you post a new contest

Good luck everyone and looking forward to seeing what you can do with the theme.

2. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

You are cruel...

Where indeed IS Spring!?!?

3. mollyc, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018

mollyc thread starter macrumors 68000

We might have snowflakes tomorrow. And maybe Monday. If you can't find me, it's because I've dug a hole and died in it. I live in freaking Virginia! Not Montana!

4. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Ha ha ha we had a "White Easter"! that shouldnt even be a thing!

5. Alexander.Of.Oz, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

I got back into the botanic gardens in town with one of the Mindful Photography group on Monday, but the idea I had for an image couldn't be accomplished. I didn't have the ability to bring along my own telephoto lens to be able to get a close up of one of the Amazonian Waterlilies, so I'll go with this one, as it was the only other flower image I took this week.

[​IMG]
    Canon 6D, Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Aperture Priority
    ISO6400, 40mm, f/4, 1/320

6. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Damnit! first entry and already game over for me!

7. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Same here mate. We should make the big guns wait until the last day before they submit :cool:
    (only joking, Alex).

I will however still be taking part ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

8. macuser453787 macrumors 6502a

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 10.36.10 AM.png
    --- Post Merged, Apr 6, 2018 ---
    Nice shot :)

9. Bigtree macrumors 6502

Bigtree

You need to make us name (botanical) the other guys flower.

10. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

Okay, have withdrawn it, and put a placeholder up till I get into the botanic gardens on Monday, to see what I can come up with.

11. Bigtree macrumors 6502

Bigtree

12. E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

It's definitely not in New York.

13. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

[​IMG]

Not many in my collection but thought this one will do justice.

14. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Yeah. Don't you hate it when someone else's place holder is better than your best.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 6, 2018 ---
    I disagree. I don't want to get my hopes up just to have them shattered at the last minute.

15. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

So sorry, I was only joking !!
    Please put the original submission back up, and forgive the misplaced sense of humour.

Cheers :)

Hugh

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Just buy your Mrs some flowers from the garage!

17. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

It's all good, Hugh. No offence was taken at all.

I'd like to try and take something each week for this challenge, if I can manage it and as it is, I have the opportunity to do so this week. I already have an idea of what I want to explore in regards of flowers at the botanic gardens in the city. :cool:

18. someoldguy macrumors 68000

19. Robotti macrumors regular

Robotti

There is no spring, no flowers. Just yesterday it snowed like the winter was just beginning. It doesn’t matter though, because I get to shoot dancers, all day, every day. It’s not a winner, it’s hardly even a flower shot. I just thought you all should see those eyes.

630A765C-47F5-4F2B-A7B3-56838D3F6765.jpeg

20. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

According to the third rule "thou shalt not comment on an others entry until the judgement has been passed"

Does this include any technical questions about a shot? o_O

I'll ask anyway and remove it if it needs to be.

@Robotti Mikko, can I ask what ISO this was taken at and why you were underexposing by 1 2/3 stops? I'm assuming it was an accidentally dialled in setting. I was surprised that a shot from a D750 would be so noisy, even in low light and when I saw the exif data, it explained that it's possibly cause you had to open things up in PP due to the severe underexposure. I'm just curious about it. :)

21. Robotti macrumors regular

Robotti

This photo is at ISO 12800.

I always underexpose by at least one stop in competitions and shows. There are several reasons. First and foremost, the D750 copes much, much better with low light than over-exposing. Blue and red spot lights on the face will destroy the image 100%, if I expose for the white halogens. D750 sensor is pretty much iso-invariant, so it essentially makes no difference if I underexpose and bring it back, as long as I don't do it more than 3 stops and stay well under the maximum native ISO. Which, obviously, I didn't do :).

On the other hand, I have to be at 1/250 or even faster for ballet and contemporary. And depending on the lighting setup, there simply may not be enough light to expose correctly, unless there's a spotlight for the dancer.

Which is why I decided to purchase the D750, which, after very careful investigation, seemed to have the most iso-invariant sensor on the market at the time. In the studio, I still stay at ISO 100 and expose correctly, because it's just good practice.

This photo kind of an extreme example, because it's cropped a lot, so there's more noise than usually.

22. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

Thanks for that thorough explanation, Mikko! Now I understand the underexposure being applied. That's about the same level of noise that I get from the 6D at ISO 12,800 too. I have one shot taken at ISO 25,600 that actually has minimal noise to it, taken in the nocturnal house at the local zoo of a bat, it's the only one above ISO 6,400 that I've ever kept!

Photography of performance under theatrical lighting is a huge challenge, due to its changeability and low light conditions. I get to do it for one of our boys as he's involved in a lot of theatre and stand-up comedy.

Thanks again for the explanation. :)

23. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

24. The Bad Guy macrumors 65816

The Bad Guy

I'll help make up the numbers...didn't even know I had a photo of a flower to be honest. :D

_MG_9942-Edit.jpg

25. E3BK, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK