Weekly Photo Contest (April 6th - April 13th, 2012) - Dark

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nicolasdec, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Subject: Dark

Interpret any way you like.

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

my first try in this contest

Attached Files:

3. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Hiding in the darkness:
    [​IMG]

This one was inspired by Annie Liebovitz's pirelli calendar shoot, just with more clothes. :D

4. coryndiego macrumors regular

coryndiego

5. FMJPhoto.com macrumors member

FMJPhoto.com

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

7. ndpuckhead, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

ndpuckhead macrumors member

Sorry it was unavailable for a while, I'm still learning Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_0559 by ndpuckhead, on Flickr

8. Shhmmooove macrumors member

Shhmmooove

9. Bartlindon macrumors newbie

Bartlindon

Data taking at CLUE telescopes.

Attached Files:

10. mzd macrumors 6502a

backstage:

Attached Files:

11. rostra0311 macrumors newbie

Alaskan Nightlight for a Dark Night

Alaskan Nightlight for a Dark Night
    Canon Rebel XT 28mm F/3.5 30Sec and -35F ambient temp

Attached Files:

12. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

13. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

The contest is now closed. Will post the winner and comments on the photos tomorrow!

14. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Some truly amazing pictures posted this week! Ive had a really hard time picking a favorite. See my comments below.

Mulo: I really thought this was an interesting picture. Reminds me of my days at college. I like how dorm like it feels and in many ways it feels almost like a montage. If I had to change one thing it would be to maybe see more of the room.

Sideonecincy: A truly dark place!! I wouldn't like to be there. I love the way the light slowly fades away into a dark abyss. The rusting just gives it a even darker scarier feel. Where was this taken?

Vi: You description couldn't be more right! it does look like a Annie Liebovitz Calendar. I would have maybe done half a stop brighter and removed (in photoshop) the tiny bit of her wing that you can see to her left.

Cornydiego: Stunning! absolutely love this shot. I really like the outline of the tree, The sky came out very nice. Theres a bit of flare on the lights which I like, Gives it a softer feel. The only thing i dont like is the light trail coming from the plane. Great watermark also, simple and unobtrusive, wish more people had watermarks like yours!

AlexH: I always like the photos you post on these contests. This is no exception. The picture gives of a typical small city feeling which i really like. For me this picture makes me think of a horror film. For some reason it looks kinda creepy. Now to the technical side, great exposure, I think the framing is just right.

FMJPhoto.com:Welcome to the contest! Very similar to Vi's photo, I really like it, like the lighting coming from the top. The model is very nice also :).

acearchie: This picture has a cool old feel to it. I dont know what it is, if its the graininess form the high ISO or what but its a very nice shot. Its not very a scary or dark place but the image is 'dark'.

Waloshin: Those are some very cool lights, They look like light sabers!! Great capture, I really like the way the lights create almost like a path of different colors. really cool. As for the framing, I would like to have seen more of whats around.

Electronique: Lovely capture. Feels very tranquil and calm! Wouldn't say its dark, but underexposed.

blevins321: Lovely sunset! You should post a higher res version to flickr or a image sharing site so we can see it better. Was it taken on a iPhone? I really like the exposure, looks like it metered on the light spots. I like the contrast the tree gives with the rest of the image.

r.j.s: Was this shot through a telescope? I like the simplicity and minimalism of the picture.

ndpuckhead: What a amazing picture! The lighting is simply perfect. Its very warm and happy picture. Loved It!

Ravaroo: Really dark, Scary place. I like the look wide angle lenses give. The fact that you can see around the corner is very nice. really amazing lighting.

Somepix: Wow! beautiful eyes! Really like the blend of the dogs coat and the background. Great capture!

Shhmmooove: I found this picture very interesting,the fact that the only thing you can really see well is the food and drinks gives it a interesting feel. As with most dinners its one of the most important things so this picture captured very well the essence of dinner.

Bartlindon: Love the blue sky, and the telescopes look like some strange alien contraption. Too bad the image is low quality.

Mzd: Good job on the capture, I like that the image is sharp which must have been tricky because of the low light and the movement.
    The colours in the image are also very nice.

Rostra0311: I hope one day to visit the northern lights. Its truly beautiful, and so is your picture. the only thing i would have done differently would have been to crop the houses and telephone poles. Is it true that the northern lights make noises?

JDDavis Stunning. Love the panorama format. Just stunning. Not much more to say.

• 4th: Coryndiego
    • 3rd: Ndpuckhead
    • 2nd: JDDavis
    • 1st: Somepix

Thanks for participating, Its over to Somepix...

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nope. IIRC, it was set to 18mm.

16. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Thanks for the positive feedback and taking the time to do a great job judging! I really liked the pics and theme. Congrats Somepix, excellent photograph!