Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Rules (Copied from the first thread)

#1 You may submit only one photo per contest.

#2 The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

#3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. I think that a good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography. I think it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it and a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for starting a new thread containing a new contest and topic which again will run for exactly one week.

This week's theme is ENGINEERING

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Antikythera Mechanism

AntikytheraMechanism.jpg

I shot this on a recent trip to Greece. Extremely low light conditions inside that room of the museum; 24mm, 1/10s, f2.0, ISO200

From Wikipedia:
The mechanism is the oldest known complex scientific instrument. It has several accurate scales, and is essentially an analog computer made with gears.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Thanks to everybody for their entries. Just to explain the selfish reason for the subject, as you might have guessed I work in engineering (AMIMechE) and so quite a few trade magazines land on my desk, but there aren’t many ways to take a good picture of a petrochemical works! So when I set up the thread I was looking for two things;

I wanted really good examples of the more clichéd engineering subjects – I was expecting a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge or a watch mechanism/cogs (so I was particularly pleased to see the entries from JohnMC and bootedbear!)

I was also hoping to see photographs that either injects drama and dynamism into the subject or gives a completely new definition as to what they think of it (again this was fulfilled by entries from gnd and ghostguts!)

These criteria would have been met by Martin C’s Brooklyn Bridge (here), Doylem’s excellent landscape of wind turbines with dramatic lighting (here) and Ja Di ksw energetic shot of turbine blades (here). Unfortunately these featured in the photo of the day thread and weren’t entered into this competition so they don’t win!

So in 3rd I’ll go for gnd’s "Antikythera Mechanism” mainly because it challenged my own perception and made me ask, what the hell’s that!

2nd is apearlman’s fire tower in Woodstock. It looks kinda like the inverse of a famous picture taken from the top of the transmitter of the Empire State Building looking down.

Winner is a toss up between JohnMC’s clockwork and emorydunn’s ermmm… clockwork. I like both images, JohnMCs classic picture has nice lighting which shows up every details and makes it look maintained and ready to spring into life at any moment while emorydunn’s dusty sunlight make it look ready to fall apart at any moment!
But I need to choose one so let’s go for JohnMC. Congratulations and I look forward to seeing your chosen subject!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.