Weekly photo contest - August 1 - 9 - Street on my phone

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by akash.nu, Aug 1, 2019.

1. akash.nu, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019

akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Apologies for the late post but it has been a crazy busy week for me at work. Even now I’m trying to get this post up during my commute back home because I still have to work once I get in.

With that out of the way, let’s dive into this week’s topic. So I’m a phone photography enthusiast as a lot of you might know. I’ve recently started to dabble into street photography but since I only have my phone on me most of the times, I’m only looking at it from what can be achieved given the constraints of a small sensor coupled with lack of zoom etc.

So this week I’m really intrigued to see what the amazing contributors on here can achieve with their phones when it comes to street themed photography. Capturing moments, unplanned smiles, kids sharing food by the river, street photography can literally bring in so much unplanned context to a situation. So amuse me guys.

The rules are same as usual -

· The photographs must be your own work.

· Be creative and have fun.

· You may only submit one photo per contest.

· Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

· The contest runs for a week and starts now!

· At the end of the week, last week’s winner will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.

· If the winner is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline for close, then a vote will be carried out to select a winner. This will be based on the number of "likes" each image has. In the event of a draw, the second place winner from the previous week will choose the tiebreaker.

· The 1st place winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

· Please update the Weekly Contest Master List when you post a new contest.

Some inspiration here from my own shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 68000

AllergyDoc

3. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

IMG_0542.JPG
    Late summer evening in Kansas City, MO. iPhone 6S.

4. deep diver, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019

deep diver macrumors 68000

deep diver

I'll help fill out the numbers.

This young man’s parents own a falafel stand inside Cleveland’s West Side Market. He was not happy about having to pick the parsley leaves from the stems.

I rendered this as an infrared image to create all of the negative space that draws the eye to the boy’s face.

Full disclosure — This was shot with an older Android phone.

Gottlieb - Westside Market - 19 B&W resize.jpg

5. tizeye macrumors 6502a

tizeye

F8F026D3-B719-482B-B344-2A051601B0F6.jpeg Vevey, CH - Fete des Vignerons 2019
    One of the characters in costume within the crowd which was a normal activity throughout the event.

6. redshifted macrumors 6502

redshifted

LittleRedRidingHoodGetsSmart.jpg

Little Red Riding Hood finally gets Smart on the way to Grandma's house :cool:.
    iPhone 4 using Slow Shutter App and processed in Snapseed from back in 2014.
    Thanks for looking,
    Ed

7. joyjoy22 macrumors newbie

The busy business district of Shibuya, Japan.

Shibuya.jpg

8. Somepix macrumors regular

Somepix

9. CE3 macrumors 65816

IMG_1699.jpg

One of many grand entrances inside The Forbidden City. This challenge reminds me that I don't take many photos on my phone anymore!

10. mollyc macrumors 68000

11. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 604

akash.nu

Closing now! On the dot 00:00. Will be back tomorrow with the results.

12. deep diver macrumors 68000

deep diver

Yoo hoo. Anyone there?

13. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

What happens if the judge defaults? :confused:

14. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

You had a good entry. Just go ahead and start a new contest.

Sometimes we all get sidetracked for a bit, and it isn't a problem for the thread to move forward. You can take the win!

15. deep diver macrumors 68000

deep diver

When this has happened before someone has volunteered to judge. We could do it by the number of likes but there is a three way tie.

Any volunteers to judge or just to post the next one?

16. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

I have an idea for one if we need a volunteer. Maybe see if we get a response on Monday?

17. redshifted macrumors 6502

redshifted

I hope akash is okay and that it's just a case of not enough time in the real world.

18. akash.nu, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019

akash.nu thread starter macrumors 604

akash.nu

Hi guys, apologies. It hasn’t been a good week. Unfortunately I’m at a really tight situation and won’t be able to type up the detailed response I originally wanted to but here is the verdict -

@deep diver is the winner for me. The backstory coupled with the concentration of the boy working really set the mood for me.

@Indydenny a close second. Nice background with the  store, just feel like if it was a different angle with maybe people walking in to the store would have made it a better one for me.

@mollyc nice one as always, sunset in the cityscape feels awesome. Like the dark foreground with the buildings.

Thanks everyone for the entries and apologies for the delay this week.

19. deep diver macrumors 68000

deep diver

Thanks for the win. I really did not expect it. The original image doesn't look very good, and it took me a while to figure out what to do with it. I used my phone because we had finished the shoot and were on the way back to the car. I was being too lazy to take out my camera again.
    The boy is concentrating on being angry and he was talking it out on the defenseless parsley.
    I'll get something put up by the end of the day.

20. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

An interesting competition: Personally, I was taken by @mollyc's excellent entry and also by @deep diver's sulky boy assaulting the defenceless parsley.