Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Weekly Photo Contest - August 10-17, 2015

Welcome to this week's photo contest!

This week's theme is Film Noir. I'm a big fan of the classic film noir movies, and I enjoy photography in the same style. Feel free to stay traditional or bring a modern twist to the theme, but try to channel the film noir vibe.

Rules:

Be creative and have fun.

You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread.)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision.)

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

Good luck!

-Alex

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What a fantastic title.

Actually, I love the way lighting is used in film noir, and am fascinated by those brooding deep dark shadows of the medium. In a way, it is a little like the striking control and use of light that you often see in paintings from the Low Countries from the Renaissance era and a little later - this is a style of art I love.

I am looking forward to seeing what some of the incredibly talented people who regularly post
such wonderful stuff here come up with for this week's competition.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
It really is a great title. I'm loving the possibilities.

As we haven't had any yet I'm going to put this in as a placeholder.

20493862216_7ea90bff7b_h.jpg

It's not very good as it was a quick test shot I did when I was thinking about ideas and wanted to see if I could figure out the lighting I was aiming for. I'm hoping that I'll have time to do it properly later in the week but I thought it might give some inspiration and get the ball rolling.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Contest will end at midnight CST (1.5 hours from the time this post goes up). I'll post my decision sometime tomorrow.

Great job, everyone!

Reactions: MacRy

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Wow a lot of great entries this week! I didn't manage to get time to set a shoot up for this theme but I definitely enjoyed all your photographs. Tough job judging, Alex, good luck!

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Arent they? I had every intention of entering then saw some of the entries and thought no chance.

Absolutely INCREDIBLE entries, well impressed guys, well impressed! Stunned even!

Ken.

Ditto - some of the best WPC photos I've seen. Thoroughly demotivated now :) well done everyone.

Reactions: tomnavratil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.