Weekly Photo Contest - August 13 - August 20 (Theme: 'Perspective X')

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tmagman, Aug 13, 2012.

1. tmagman macrumors 6502

Weekly Photo Contest - August 13 - August 20 (Theme: 'Perspective X')

Subject: 'Perspective X'

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

One of my favourite shots to take are what i call 'Perspective X Shots' or as some people more easily relate to it- the 'Death Star Trench Effect'.. Included is one I took in New York City last year. Its not limited to just urban shots like mine, so be creative and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Sorry for the slow start, had to work all weekend.

Attached Files:

2. imac wannabe macrumors regular

3. pmxperience macrumors regular

pmxperience

4. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

5. 28Fiend, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  6. gaswerks macrumors 6502

the peace bridge, calgary ab

Attached Files:

7. ZYA2001 macrumors newbie

Lake Oswego, OR

Attached Files:

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Only an iPhone shot but it’s the only one that I have that really fits the theme.

[​IMG]

9. tmagman thread starter macrumors 6502

Contest closed! Will post winners and comments shortly!

10. tmagman thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow lots of very unique takes on the theme! Congrats to all for some great submissions. I'll quickly walk through them.

mtbdudex: Very cool enclosed perspective. Love the low angle that you shot at to give the ceiling more depth and the space seem bigger.

ijohn.8.80: Very calming picture. I like how you got the perspective using two sets of lines on the same plane instead of four from each corner. I would say to crop your picture and straighten it a bit though- it was a little distracting to have the walkway at a slight angle and detracted from the effect.

imac wannabe: Love San Francisco and the unique street shots you can get. This was a cool take on the theme as you got the 'X Factor' in multiple dimensions and it going from 'in' to the picture and then going up.

pmxperience: The best you could do was very good! The coloring and reflections in this picture blew me away and added another almost confusing dimension that made that X focal point blend together. Very cool, where was this?

deep diver: Not often you get that personal with that many empty seats and a shot like that. Very cool trailing twist on the theme.

milbournosphere: Nice B&W work and the 'twist' at the end of the picture where the straight path takes the zig zag.

fitshaced: Took me a minute to find that perspective I was looking for but then I got a little mathematically thinking and started seeing it! Love the combination of multiple focal points and paths your eye can follow on the high contrast roof lines.

sunnyj: Cool one-sided X-Factor. I think a little less background on the left side would have drawn my eye into the bridge's lines a little bit better.

28Fiend: Same comments as for imac wannabe! Love the horizontal-vertical transition. What street was this from in NY?

gaswerks: Can't argue with my a picture from my own city here. Gotta love (or hate) that bridge. Well done getting a effective 'endless' effect and drawing your eye not only to that point but to the lighting on the bridge.

emorydunn: Great B&W exposure and busling cityscape, a little distracting of an image for to find that X-Factor.

ZYA2001: Now you've got me wanting to spend time on the lake. Great take on the them using nature alone with the hills and the shore.

coryndiego: Beautiful exposure capturing the train cars. Your focus feels just right to get that X Perspective.

someoldguy: Nice setting, wooden bridges always are a cool photographic element and you've got some nice lines to follow to your focal point there. Maybe a tad of cropping and rotation would have drawn me in to the image, but well done!

Chappers: Love the color and the X perspective is very unique with the capturing of the lights as they switch sides of the path.

acearchie: Nothin' wrong with an iPhone photo. Even though it was off center like some of the others, something captured me differently about this photo and maybe it was how at the end of the hall it opened up, where all the lines ended at a wide open area rather than a specific point, while still capturing that perspective I was looking for.

AlexH: This reminds me of my days playing old Need for Speed games on my PC. The quick turn to the left and then the straight away is very cool and captures that X-Factor but with a unique twist. Care to share a high-res copy? I need a new wallpaper.

Okay the tough part now... Once again, well done to all.

3rd Place: gaswerks (hometown pride!)
    2nd Place: coryndiego
    1st Place: imac wannabe

11. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Great judging tmagman thank you.

Well done to imac wannabe - lovely shot.

I don't think there was a bad photo in there this week.

12. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

tmagman thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated as a basic newb to DSLR's. I never touched up my shot as it was only taken with my old iPhone 3G and it therefore became much undervalued by me because of this...

Some great shots in there, well done all.

13. imac wannabe macrumors regular

Thanks for a fun theme...excellent photos in this one, many could have won! New one will be up shortly.

Paul