Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac wannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Appleton, WI
Weekly Photo Contest - August 21 - August 28 (Theme: Labor of Love)

Subject - Labor of Love

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

In honor of an upcoming American holiday "Labor Day" let's see photos of folks Labor's of love. Maybe it's a car, a boat, a church being worked on...you get the idea. Have fun!

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
6242109865_cde834d906_z.jpg

imac wannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Appleton, WI
AlexH: I like this type of shot, it certainly fits the theme. I kind of wish I could see the scene she is painting.

ijohn.8.80: Children, the ultimate labor of love! This fits the theme also. I do find the leaf a little distracting though. Zoo shots (I presume) are tricky you have to take what you can get:)

Sideonecincy: I like this shot because of the colors. I always wonder how these guys can have this much talent and be wasting it on graffiti! Nice.

cambookpro: Baking/cooking is certainly a labor of love!

Chappers: I smiled when I saw this one. Any parent knows exactly what you're showing with this photo:)

VirtualRain: I kept coming back to this shot. I like it, it shows very well the size and the scope of the scene. I like the misty mood of it also. Nice job. In terms of the theme its hard for me to see what the person is doing. It looks like a metal detector? Neat photo!

deep diver: Another nice fit for this theme. It has a mentoring feel to it.

Joseph Farrugia: Perfect for the theme and struck me personally as I have a uncle who is a professional fisherman. I know the hard work involved. This is nicely framed and really nice colors! Nice job.

Apple Poptart: I'm guessing he is playing "Taps" at a funeral? This is great for this theme. A friend of mine did this for years. It takes lots of commitment and love!

pmxperience: I really like this shot. It's cool how everyone is looking at your subject. That is so unique in a big city. You captured a lot of information in this photo and it sets the scene nicely. I love the look of the lady! I can hear her thinking "Are you gonna give me money or what?" LOL. The one thing I find distracting is the color. I cant tell if it's a color balance issue or how you post processed it but it's just "different". Not wrong not bad, just different. I still like it!

Now of course the hard part!

3rd Place: VirtualRain - Great shot but I just can't quite tell the Labor of Love I'm looking at. I totally realize you resized for the forum.

2nd Place: pmxperience - This was hard for me. I really like the photo the more I look at it, but the color is not my taste.

1st Place: Joseph Farrugia - I think the simplicity of this photo combined with the colors makes this the winner. Nice job!!

Good luck next week everyone!:)

Joseph Farrugia

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Malta (EU)
Thanks imac wannabe

Thanks imac wannabe, glad you liked the image.

• It was created with a Zeiss Makro-Planar ZF100mm ƒ2 on a Fuji S5 pro DSLR, which was mounted on an Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead on a Gitzo CF Explorer,
for stability as well as the precise focusing required.

• Absolutely no blurring of the background was done, that is the ZF100MP's legendary bokeh & amazing microcontrast at work, giving the photo a "3D", pop-out look.

• Absolutely no postprocessing was done to the colors or contrast; Fuji DSLRs are by now legendary in their amazing OOC (out-of-camera) JPEG color & DR (dynamic range).

The fisherman in this image was truly working on what he & most fishermen in Marsaxlokk would call a labor of love; the painstaking approach I had to undertake to get this image right, (framing, position in the middle of the road to get the pic, etc) was definitely a "labor of love" in itself :)

As per contest regulations, I will soon post the theme for next week's contest, stay tuned!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
VirtualRain: I kept coming back to this shot. I like it, it shows very well the size and the scope of the scene. I like the misty mood of it also. Nice job. In terms of the theme its hard for me to see what the person is doing. It looks like a metal detector? Neat photo!

It's a tripod. I thought it was particularly fitting for a photo contest with a theme "Labor of Love" :D (Great theme by the way!)

Congrats to Joseph and everyone... nice photos all around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.