Weekly Photo Contest (Dec 18 - Dec 25) Love

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by flutegirl822, Dec 18, 2010.

1. flutegirl822 macrumors member

flutegirl822

Weekly Photo Contest (Dec 18 - Dec 25) Love

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Love - A photo showing affection, caring or good will towards another person or item.

2. Schtumple, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Underground (VII) /Becky

[​IMG]

Don't really have any "Love" photos, definitely not something I ever shoot, this is my girlfriend, on a deep level, I find it interesting that we take shots of loved ones, to capture the moment, savour it, etc etc. This is my only show of "love" as I'm always behind the camera, rarely in front.

3. techie4life macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Image is clickable! (Hopefully this meets your criteria)

4. prappatherappa, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

prappatherappa macrumors newbie

Love in the theatre

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Taken during a dress rehearsal of a rendition of Metamorphoses by Ovid
    Canon XSI w/ Canon f1.8 50mm
    Shutter speed: 1/90
    Aperture: 2.8
    ISO: 200

5. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

Love in the Circus

[​IMG]
    Taken at the Burning Man Festival.

6. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

7. Juanbond macrumors member

Juanbond

Brotherly Love

Several weeks ago we went and took some pictures as a family and this is one of the candid shots that I took of my two sons.

[​IMG]

8. flutegirl822 thread starter macrumors member

flutegirl822

9. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Hope this meets your criteria took a slightly different spin on symbolising love and commitment.
    [​IMG]

10. macrumormonger macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Camera Canon PowerShot G10
    Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1250)
    Aperture f/3.2
    Focal Length 10.8 mm
    ISO Speed 125

11. flutegirl822 thread starter macrumors member

flutegirl822

Results

Thank you all for entering your photos! As the judge of this week's contest, I am critiquing honestly IMHO and don't mean to offend anyone. Please don't take these comments personally, but merely as insight or perspective from an outsider looking in. :)

Schtumple: Your girlfriend has a pleasant/friendly look on her face which comes through the photo nicely showing that she definitely likes you. The shot itself has a cool sort of tunnel vision, but has many distractions in the background.

techie4life: The written sentiment is just words on paper and not directed towards anyone. It is a good idea, but needs to be explored more. Cutting at joints (wrist, fingers) is not a good idea though.

prappatherappa: The man looks like he's looking at his elbow. I understand that they are acting, but it feels like fake 'love', plus the girl's arm is cut off.

luminosity: Nice focus on the hands and good DOF. My attention keeps wandering up towards the people at the top of the photo though instead of staying on the hands.

Foucault: Wow, very colorful, but so very tight. More space in the frame for the couple would be nice so that their hips, rabbit ear and feet aren't cut off. Also, eliminating the people in the BG would be nice.

JDDavis: Take your hand and cover the upper left corner of the photo where the bright sunlight is hitting the leaves. Do you find that the attention stays on the mom and child? Yes, a different crop would fix this shot very easily.

bootedbear: Cute snapshot. I'm sorry your leg was amputated. A closer crop would be just the thing needed to bring the viewer in to what's important ... the man's face and the puppy's lick.

Juanbond: Sweet photo of the boys on the bench. Again, another foot seems cut off. Always good to check that all body parts are in the photo before taking the shot.

mattyb240: Hmm, the focus here seems to be the glass of champagne at a wedding? I don't think alcohol symbolizes love or commitment. Maybe this idea would work if the bride and groom were in the photo somewhere perhaps towards the back of the room and a bit out of focus.

macrumormonger: Well, this made me smile, but it also make me say, "WTF?" It's a strange statue with a chopped, yellow bird on its head. There's a child in the background, and a street light pole coming out of the statue's left hand. A shallow depth of field might have worked better here.

Thank you for accepting my comments with a grain of salt.

The winner's are:

1st Place: Foucault

2nd Place: JDDavis

3rd Place: bootedbear

Congratulations! :)

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Thanks for the feedback and congrats to Foucault on winning, look forward to the next topic!

13. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Do we have a no show as I couldn’t see the next contest?

14. flutegirl822 thread starter macrumors member

flutegirl822

No Show

Yes, maybe JDDavis should start the new contest.

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Seems like a good shout, PM JDDavis just so they're aware :)

16. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Flutegirl, thanks for the second place nod and yeah...I'll try to think something up in the next few hours for the next contest.

17. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

woopsies!

Woops! I didn't realize I won, all the holiday buzz made me forget to check this forum. Thanks guys