Weekly Photo Contest (Dec 28 - Jan 3) Beginnings/Endings - New/Old

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JDDavis, Dec 28, 2010.

1. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Weekly Photo Contest (Dec 28 - Jan 3) Beginnings/Endings - New/Old

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Beginnings/Endings - New/Old A little rushed as we pack up today to leave one set of family and go visit another. My idea in the theme is, of course, centered around the coming new year. Out with the old, in with the new. Let's see shots that represent the beginning of something or the end of something. Or shots that represent something new or old. As always, just interpret as you will. Looking forward to seeing your work.

2. flutegirl822 macrumors member

flutegirl822

Sapling and Firewood

Attached Files:

3. JDDavis thread starter macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Just a little bump:)

Only a few days to get entries posted. Thought we'd see a few more.:confused:

4. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

OLD AGE, NEW LOVE

I haven't had time to do anything photographically in a few months, so this is a repost.

I was absolutely taken by this couple I saw while visiting a nursing home. They reminded me of my grandparents. They could not keep their hands off of one another and there was a very deep love in their eyes. I was sure they had been married forever. I found out later that they were both widowed and had met at the nursing home.

Attached Files:

5. JDDavis thread starter macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Today is the last day for this weeks contest. I'll let it go till midnight tonight and then judge tommorrow morning. Post em if you got em:)

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Leaf in the snow

[​IMG]

I've entered this photo before in a contest, but I feel it's relevant to this contest.

7. JDDavis thread starter macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Well this one should be quick to judge. Hopefully the low quantity of submissions was due to the hectic holiday period. Anyway...without further ado...

flutegirl822 - Very nicely done. The sapling and snow crystals are nicely sharp and in focus. I like the colors even though they are simple. Fits the theme wonderfully as well. Great job on exposure with the snow.

deep diver - It's a great shot. I've always liked it. The focus point is spot on with the hands and the shot has a great story to it. I can tell it's a shot that means something to you. I can tell it even without the backstory. After seeing it several times now my only critique is the women's shoulder in the left foreground can be a bit distracting to the overall photo.

VirtualRain - Another good shot. It's a little dark but the top of the stump is lit wonderfully. I'm not totally sure about the crop but it does give you the feel of being deep in the forest which I think you were going for. I kinda want to see more of the top of the stump and the vegetation like maybe from a higher angle (which may not have been possible). Very creative shot and a great eye for that light in the moment.

Schtumple - Beautiful shot. I have seen it before and it was the winner I chose in the last contest I judged. My opinion of it hasn't changed. I think it's very well executed. I like the desaturated feel and the narrow DOF.

Well, I wish we had more but picking a winner wasn't any easier with a short contest. Hopefully participation will rise again. Maybe everyone got some new toys over the holidays that they will want to try out. So for this week:

Winner - flutegirl822 - Loved the feel and tone. Very well executed.

Runner up - deep diver - Fits the theme on two levels and I've always thought the shot tells a great story.

Thanks and flutegirl it's on to you get the next one going.

8. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Jeff - great job judging, as always. I agree about the elbow. The gentleman is a very animated guy with his hand always in motion. I did the best I could with framing in the camera while focusing on the hands and while not letting them know I was shooting. I did try to crop out the shoulder and it looked really bad. Some people have taken issue with he wheelchair but I think it is too much a part of the story to leave out.

flutegirl822, VirtualRain, and Schtumple -- these are all beautiful images.

flutegirl822 - congrats. Looking forward to the next one and hopefully I'll be able to produce something for it.