Weekly Photo Contest December 10 - December 17; Topic: Right Place at the Right Time

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gnd, Dec 10, 2011.

1. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Weekly Photo Contest December 10th - December 17th

Topic: Right Place at the Right Time
    Open to your interpretation of course, just convince me, that your photo would have been worse off (less interesting), if it were taken earlier/later or from a different location ...

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
    (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

My daughter entered the water a bit later than the rest. Lucky for me she is surrounded by their splashes.
    So I guess she was at the right place at the right time. I merely had to press the shutter.

[​IMG]

3. Keleko macrumors 68000

I almost packed up and left after the sun had set because I didn't think there would be any good post-sundown colors.

[​IMG]

4. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

just my cat yawning.

Attached Files:

5. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

6. Jim61 macrumors newbie

1/2 second too late ....

Attached Files:

7. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I distinctly remember this as being a particularly flukey shot.

[​IMG]
    IMG_5084 by acearchie, on Flickr

9. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I just pressed the shutter right when my daughter was making a face.

[​IMG]

10. gaswerks macrumors 6502

right place, right time ...

Attached Files:

11. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

IMG_0836.jpg
    My mac happened to be at the right place(amongst other apples) and at the right time (before they were all picked)

13. 98ps190, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  14. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Missed it by that much.............

Attached Files:

15. flutegirl822 macrumors member

flutegirl822

Duck Diving

I was taking a walk around a nearby lake when I saw three ducks diving. Luckily, I had my camera with me.

Attached Files:

16. JAWJr macrumors member

What's better than a sunset jog?

Attached Files:

17. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

[​IMG]

I thought for a second he was going to land on me

18. Chappers, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I was in the right place at the right time to capture this moment and so was the spider - but the bee, well that's different story.

[​IMG]

19. gnd thread starter macrumors 6502a

gnd

The contest is now closed!

Stay tuned for the results within the next 24 hours.

20. gnd thread starter macrumors 6502a

gnd

Big thanks to everyone who entered this competition, congratulations to you all!

Very nicely caught moment. Competition wise being late into the water is not the "right time", but it sure made a better photograph :) After seeing it a few times I decided I like the other person standing there, makes it more obvious that it's a competition and it adds a nice sense of scale.

Very vivid color of the sunset, great timing to get a good balance between the city lights and the sunset light. Beautiful sunset photo.

Yeah, you did catch it at the point of the widest yawn :) It's a hard life being a kitty.

Nicely caught, although the eagle is a bit too small and the branches are a bit too distracting for me.

Yup, 1/2 a second too late, right place but not exactly the right time. Still, I really like all the dust in the air left by the dying moth, still gives a great sense of a hunter's job well done.

All the power lines coming out of the kid's head aren't really helping the photo. It would also be nice if there was some kind of meaningful connection between the kid and what we see through the hole. You are going in a good direction with wanting to show something through the hole, nice shadows and texture of the stone, too

Beautiful sunset, nice composition and texture to the ocean, love the clouds. Beautiful silhouette of the pelican, couldn't have been caught at a better moment.

I remember seeing this shot on the daily thread, makes me wonder how many tries it took to get it. The guy throwing the dart, the people at the desk behind him, the dart, everything is sort of in the center here. I wonder if some other composition would have been better. Of course, being indoors makes getting the best composition sometimes impossible.

Timing is great on this one, just the right shutter speed, all the heads on the bottom make it kind of distracting. I know it's hard to photograph fireworks at a crowded place, though.

She doesn't look very happy there ... but a moment well caught non the less :)

Are you really sure this is the right place at the right time? I don't even know what I'm looking at here :) If it is the right place at the right time, then it's the wrong focal length and/or aperture because the action must be someplace else.

Yeah, the kid looks like he (?) was having a time of his life, with his father (?) next to him; beautifully caught moment. Framing is a bit too centered though, I'd prefer less room on top and on the right, maybe wide enough to include the whole horse's head, or tighter to exclude it all together, the way it is the horse's eyes on the edge are distracting.

You could say that, but from looking at the photo I don't immediately get that, it needed your explanation why this is the right place at the right time.

This is a great photo, it really conveys the difference. BW also works great here, it pushes the message to the front, you don't get distracted with the colors. Truly the right place at the right time.

I'll take your word for it cuz I don't see the photo unfortunately :(

Much better timing by the photographer than the player :) I like the empty field in the back. You positioned yourself for shooting well and caught the moment nicely. Good job!

Synchronized swimming at its finest, great timing :) Nice composition, too. Well done!

I think I would prefer the jogger to be to the left of the sun as opposed to the right of it. It would make him run into the frame as opposed to out of it, which would work better psychologically.
    I prefer jogging while there is still light out :p

Good job on having the nerve to stand there and shoot while he was coming right at you :) Got him at a good moment, fully extended. Too bad about that bright part behind him though.

It's a hard life being a protester ... :) Looks like you caught him right before he slipped onto his bottle. Well seen, doesn't give a very good impression of the protesters in general though.

Nicely caught, both by the spider and by you. Technically very well done.
    I had a more positive take on this photo the first few times you posted it to weekly contests, but I'm probably pretty jaded at this point ...

Great timing, looks like he's trying to pull that worm out of the ground by taking off. Focus is spot on, shutter speed gives great sense of his struggle, framing works very well but I would have cropped it a bit tighter to exclude the busy background.

OK, having taken care of that, it's time to pick the winner. These are my top 5 photos:

Honorable mention: Jim61

Honorable mention: flutegirl822

3rd place: Intel Inside

2nd place: deep diver

1st pace: Razeus

Razeus, next competition is yours, take it away!