Weekly Photo Contest February 14th - 21st. Before and After

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Welcome to this week's photo contest thread!

Theme: Before and After.

Well it seems the Digital Photography forum has been inundated with software threads of late. So I thought as well as seeing your photography skills, lets see your editing skills! So this week we will need two photos per entry. One as shot straight from the camera so to speak, and one the finished article. Contest will be judged on your editing as well as your composition etc. So this week you get a free choice of what to shoot!

Contest end: 201st February 2015

Rules:

1. Be creative and have fun.

2. Please submit only one photo per contest (edited and unedited of course!).

3. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

4. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

5. At the end of the week, The judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

6. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

To see all of our past contests please see the sticky thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=580184

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Great idea! The first shot is unedited (shot RAW, converted to JPG without any processing). The second was jiggered with.

unedited by ALXPhotog, on Flickr

January Sunset Part 2 by ALXPhotog, on Flickr

I normally don't like clutter in the foreground of my landscapes, but in this case I like the branches on the left, I think they add context.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Before:

After:

It's amazing what the camera picks up that you can't initially see and what the digital darkroom can do. This was a combination of Capture NXD, Aperture, and NIK.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Always one of my favorite subjects :)
I was watching this seminar on using speed lights and wanted to apply some of it. So here I am trying to get as much done before loading the file into the Affinity Beta, which I also wanted to try. Unfortunately, I only have the two flash units, and the video light as a hair light needed a post processing assist.

Attachments

jkramerbob

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Indiana
Jaffa Door

Below are original raw-jpg conversion and edited photo.

Created three (3) tif files from original raw image -1.0EV, 0.0EV, +1.0EV using Nikon FX2 software. Created tonemapped Pseudo-HDR from these files using Photomatrix software. Final editing using Nikon FX2 software.

DSC_0108 by jkramerbob, on Flickr

Jaffa Door 002 by jkramerbob, on Flickr

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
Great contest idea! Took this with the iPhone 6 recently in Red Rock (Sedona), AZ. Edited with iPhoto as I don't have access to Photoshop currently. :)
Before:

After:

stillcrazyman

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
In Exile
At a car show a couple of years ago.

I REALLY don't like having random people in the background. It took some effort, but I was able to edit out the people and some of the background :cool:

Before:

After:

Last edited:

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
This was done with a point and shoot a number of years ago. I just pulled it out to see what I could do with it... not sure if I like it more before or after (not that there's much of a difference) but I thought I'd put it in here and get an opinion.

before

after

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Here is my bash at the title this week. Subtle enhancements designed to turn a bland winters day into a warm spring day.
EDIT - The tree has an HDR effect to it. When I processed it originally, I liked it, now looking at it, not so much... hmm.

Attachments

Last edited:

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Oh wow this is my kinda competition. Let's see what I've got here.

**edit**

No, I get the feeling the OP doesn't mean my sort of before & after.
I'll pass.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Weekly Photo Contest February 14th - 21st. Before and After

resized them to fit mobiles...

before

after

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Oh wow this is my kinda competition. Let's see what I've got here.

**edit**

No, I get the feeling the OP doesn't mean my sort of before & after.
I'll pass.
Behave and post something.... Come on I am I terested to see how much you get out of camera with your lighting verses post... Just be gentle - is this where we find out you add all the tattoos in post?

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Behave and post something.... Come on I am I terested to see how much you get out of camera with your lighting verses post... Just be gentle - is this where we find out you add all the tattoos in post?
I'm sure you dodge and burn like a pro! Come on make my job harder.
Alright, alright…jeez. Here, I picked this one as the editing is more obvious. Any questions about how this happens feel free to ask.

Attachments