Weekly Photo Contest (February 2 - 9) 2008

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pdxflint, Feb 2, 2009.

1. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Weekly Photo Contest (Feb 2 - Feb 9)
    Rules:

#1 You may submit only one photo per contest.

#2 The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

#3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

#4 The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which again will run for exactly one week.

This week's theme is "Urban Landscape/Street Photography"

Shot me your city shots.

I broadened the topic to include closer, street-style photography as well as general, "big picture" urbanscapes. I'm looking for images that describe some aspect of the personality of your city, or someplace you have visited. Famous landmarks don't get any extra points, but showing them in a unique way probably will.

Use color, black and white, creative use of light or any other form of creative abstraction (blur/contrast/grain/selective color) if it helps define the subject. Feel free to add words to describe the subject or your process.

The bottom line: have fun with it.

I'm looking forward to this weeks entries!

2. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Fayetteville St.

I'm not 100% sure this qualifies since technically it's not one photo but I figured I'd submit anyway. If it doesn't qualify and needs to be removed let me know.

[​IMG]

It's a 500 shot (not a typo) panorama of Fayetteville St. in downtown Raleigh, NC.

3. techie4life macrumors 6502

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It's a little city, but a city none-the-less.

Attached Files:

5. raxafarian macrumors regular

6. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

7. pdxflint thread starter macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Yes, it qualifies since it's a single image. It doesn't matter how you make it..:)

8. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

9. md2427 macrumors newbie

Jazz Band in Prague

On the Charles Bridge.......

Attached Files:

10. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

11. albysilk macrumors newbie

Downtown Miami Florida

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. MicBook macrumors regular

13. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

14. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Having gone out to photograph the city from the mountain that I live - I saw this. In my disappointment at all the rubbish, I took just one snap - I don't even know why I took it. No editing - just a picture of how it is sometimes.
    [​IMG]

15. dewailang macrumors newbie

Night green market

Here's a shot of one night (vegetable) market in Jakarta taken at 11pm.
    They literally spread and sell their goods on the street, next to the passing cars and trucks. Very interesting sights.

[​IMG]

see more of my pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/29338577@N07/

16. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Chicago Bean.

Chicago's Millenium Park has a polished sculpture called "Cloud Gate" It looks like a big chrome kidney bean. This is Chicago's Loop reflected in the bean..

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. romanaz macrumors regular

romanaz

here is an HDR i did recently of the Mansion on my schools campus.

Attached Files:

18. movieman76 macrumors member

movieman76

19. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Historic Downtown Hot Springs, AR

[​IMG]
    (Can click on image)

"Reserve & Central"

Taken February 6, 2009 @ the corner of Reserve & Central in the Historic Downtown district of Hot Springs, AR (aka, Little Chicago). I got lucky when an old Ford pickup made its way down the street. The truck added to the historic and gritty nature of the shot I was aiming for.

BTW, the 2 level building in the center(ish) of the shot was a bank back in the 1940s (if I have my history right). It's a really good little Italian cafe now with a whole lot of charm.

I added a bit of noise and "grit" to the shot for feel. Hope you guys like!

20. endingstart macrumors newbie

Toronto, Ontario

Attached Files:

21. pdxflint thread starter macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I didn't see your PM until today, and tried to PM you back, but you're not accepting PMs. Anyway, here's what I said:

---------------------

Sorry I didn't notice your message at first... and I see you've figured out how to get your pics to display. Just so you know what I do...

When in a message composition box, click on the icon for "insert image" and paste into the dialog box the url of the image (if it's hosted on another site, like picasa or flickr, etc.) The url will look something like this:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_zbn1AZDn-gg/SYjPEbkZZVI/AAAAAAAAHYs/2qKrsZr2268/s800/P1010124.JPG

and will end with .jpg. My example was generated from Picasaweb where my pics are hosted, so your might look a bit different, but the format is the same. "http://hostedname-of-your-photo.jpg"

To attach a pic, just click the paperclip icon, and browse for your image on your computer. It will display a bit smaller, but the displayed image can be clicked on for a larger copy (just make sure it's not huge, try to limit it to 1024 pix wide. You'll have to reduce the size before attaching it with your own photo imaging software.

cheers -phil

I know it gets confusing, so feel free to ask anyone on the photo forums, or check the back threads or FAQ thread.

22. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Thank you Phil

Phil,

Thank you. I attached the thumbnail, displayed it, and then copied in the url from the displayed thumbnail. It doesn't sound like any of these are elegant solutions, but they work.

23. Capio-Lumen macrumors newbie