Weekly Photo Contest (July 6-July 13): Commitment

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mikshayne, Jul 6, 2010.

1. mikshayne macrumors member

Weekly Photo Contest (July 6 - July 13): Commitment
    Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Commitment
    Good luck!

2. macrumormonger macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Camera CASIO COMPUTER CO.,LTD EX-Z750
    Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
    Aperture f/8
    Focal Length 7.9 mm
    Exposure Bias 0/3 EV

3. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

A tricky one this week and the first in a while which I have turned to a digital camera.

This is my "commitment" to film photography!

[​IMG]

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

6. flutegirl822 macrumors member

flutegirl822

Judge's Commitment to Contest?

mikshayne - There are only four photos for you to judge and comment on...
    When do you think this will happen?

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think we may have another no show! mikshayne hasn't been online since the 6th of July...

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

acearchie beat me to the details, but I'll post this anyway.

The thread starter hasn't logged onto MR forums since July 6 at 8:24 pm. That's 13 minutes after posting the thread topic.

With only four entries, why not declare this week a non-contest with a volunteer posting the comments. Someone with dice could roll one until they hit a number from 1-4. That person starts the next contest.

My 2K worth.

Dale

9. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I stepped up last time. Dale, you take it this time. Perhaps we can get back on track. I would hate to see this thing die.

10. Maxxamillian macrumors 6502

Dale--let me know if you cannot do this and I'd be happy to step in. May I suggest "No topic -- open submission" for the next contest? This might generate some needed interest.

11. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I'm headed out on a photo shoot for the rest of the day, so why don't we do something like this; Maxx opens the next thread and I post comments on the ones submitted for Commitment when I get back. I comment for the next contest and Maxx picks the winner.

How about Your favorite Photo or what you said?

Dale

12. Maxxamillian macrumors 6502

13. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Comments

Great way to convey the commitment of mother to child. Great colors and lighting. DOF is just about right, the child's eyes are sharp, but the overall photo has a soft quality to it. The only part I don't care for is the large pink bow. It detracts from the subjects for me.

Marriage is commitment for sure, and this is a moment that anyone who has gone through the formal ritual will remember. I would have liked it better if you had been able to capture the moment that the couple stepped out into the light. Just before starting down the steps. Then they would have been looking out at their friends and not down at the steps. Call me Mr. Picky, but that camera on the right bugs me.

Nice break from the friends and family theme that a topic like this will bring out. Great framing and light. Placing the climber to the right with his gaze to the left makes for strong compositional elements. The light rock draws my eye to the subject and the framing pulls it out to the left from there. I like.

Another creative take on the friends and family component of the topic. Nice lighting and composition going on here. The photos have just the right amount of light to make them clear and recognizable. Call me Mr. Picky, but that blue whatever is out of place. That's one of those things that are never noticed until it's too late.

Nice entries from everyone, too bad the contest got messed up and there's no winner. But that's the way I like it.

First Place: JDDavis
    First Place: Maxxamillian
    First Place: acearchie
    First Place: macrumormonger

And now we all cry and move along :cool:

Dale

14. mikshayne thread starter macrumors member

congrats to all

I just got in from working out of town for a week, and signed on to take care of this….and I've missed my chance.

Thank you to those who took care of business, and congrats to the great submissions. I'll admire the thread from afar in the future. Please keep up the great work, and I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

15. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

You did remember your Commitment, so don't worry about it. Thanks for checking in and I hope you had a good trip.

Dale

16. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Thanks Dale and Max for stepping up. I've been absent as well the last few days but absolutely agree with the no contest ruling. I'm surprised commitment didn't get more participation. I thought it was a good subject choice. I think when the contest drops way down in the forum a lot of people forget about it. Maybe the winner/judge should come in and "bump" it up every know and then to keep it higher on the list.

Dale, thanks for taking time on the comments. Much appreciated.

17. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

For whatever reasons (some legitimate and some questionable) there have been a lot of delays and reassignments in judging. I have to believe that has something to do with the drop off. I don't know what the answer is. I just hope we can have this problem behind us.