Weekly Photo Contest - June 29th - July 6th (Theme: Dogs)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by UltimaMC, Jun 28, 2012.

1. UltimaMC macrumors member

Weekly Photo Contest - June 29th - July 6th (Theme: Dogs)

Subject: Dogs

Now that it's summer time in the Boston area I see tons of people out with their dogs! Feel free to be as creative as you like!

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Meet Sluggo! He is my 85 pound British Bulldog. He is an absolute joy to be around. Loves people and eating obviously!

Attached Files:

4. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Tried to find one where he wasn't sleeping or about to go to sleep.
    [​IMG]

6. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I'm not looking to enter this to the contest and feedback on this photo, just posting it cause of the subject.

You can never have too many pictures of your dogs. I didn't shoot this (cause that is me laying on the floor) but I spent my childhood with this dog

[​IMG]

7. mustang_dvs, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

[​IMG]
    Leroy by dvsmith, on Flickr

EOS 20D
    17-35mm f/2.8L @ 35mm f/3.2

--
    Hard to believe that our stoic/goofy mini-Lab turns seven, this September. Right after this photo, he dove into a pile of recently raked leaves.

8. justinLONG macrumors member

9. acearchie, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  10. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

Sit Pretty

Usual routine when we get home from work. Our dogs follow us in the room, jumps on our bed and does "sit pretty".

[​IMG]

11. anglwngss macrumors newbie

Here's my dog, Rascal.

Attached Files:

12. UltimaMC thread starter macrumors member

Contest officially closed! Great entries everyone, I'll post the results tomorrow.

13. UltimaMC thread starter macrumors member

It was hard to choose a winner since they were all so great.

Alex H: Australian Shepard, Ani:
    Great picture! The name is very appropriate and I think the black and white work really well too. The depth of field you used to capture Ani is spot on and your focus is tack sharp too. From this angle the nose looks like a little heart attached to the dogs face.

Firedept: British Bulldog, Sluggo:
    Oh my gosh he looks completely tuckered out! The red scarf does a good job of adding some character to him too. I really would like to see different background used because the one you have here hides what I think is a pool of drool in front of him.

Cupcakes2000: Fudge
    This one confuses me a little, what is going on in the left side of the frame? Having a very strong white background cut the photo in half doesn’t work with me. I’m sorry but it’s too distracting. I like the dog a lot but wish the top of his head made it into the frame.

H1r0ll3:
    Such a peaceful dog and his coat beautiful! Is it really as soft as you captured it? I think some fill light around his face would help punch up this picture a little more, his face looks very slightly underexposed.

Mustang DVS:
    A nice change from what we’ve seen so far. He looks totally focused on something…must be the pile of leaves he jumped into ☺ The red collar pops on his black coat, but I don’t like how the background is a little overexposed.

JustinLong:
    Something about this crop doesn’t work for me, I really like to see the eyes of a subject since they can be so expressive. Nice depth of field and focus on the noise though.

Ravaroo:
    Very expressive! He’s aching for a delicious treat! Is that all natural light illuminating under his chin? It works for me! If possible next time I would avoid centering his head so close to the middle of the frame.

Fitshaced:
    I love it! The choice of white balance does a great job complimenting the soaked dog and you did really well keeping the fur sharp! I can’t help but notice a somewhat sad expression on his/her face.

Acearchie:
    Wow, I absolutely love it! The light is beautiful and your composition (Man in the back tossing the ball and all the paws off the ground in mid stride) is brilliant. How many tries did it take to capture this moment?

Pakyooh:
    Awesome! The B&W works so well for this picture given the contrast of your subjects, and I love how one dog it looking toward his master and the other is looking into the camera! The story this tells is priceless.

Cableguy619:
    Good composition and I like the lighting spilling in from the left side of the frame. I wonder if dodging the eyes more would be more impactful?

Orangeilli14:
    What a happy pup, you can really tell she/he is having a ball being outside on what looks to be a stunning fall afternoon. The vignette helps draw my eye right to that gorgeous smile and soft white coat.

Anglwngss:
    Thank you for making sure his ears could be captured in the frame, those are too good to miss. The picture is a little too underexposed for my taste though.

GStormvcrow:
    I love the angle you captured this from, I feel like I’m lying right there next to him. The leading lines of the porch and glass door in the background really work for me too! Would it be possible to crop the shot so the dog is not right in the center?

Somepix:
    Similar criticism to the last photo, I would love to see the dog not right in the dead center of the frame. The facial expression is adorable it makes me think he’s laughing at a joke.

Third Place: Alex H

Second Place: Acearchie

First Place: Pakyooh

Great job everyone!

14. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Congrats, Pakyooh! Great shot! Great job judging, UltimaMC!

15. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

It was actually some random dog who kept getting in the way of the camera and was actually posing to get his picture taken. So I did.

Well done Pakyooh

16. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

17. Eolian macrumors regular

I just want to give props to this photo. Love it :) The balance of the blacks in the fur, the flower pot, the deck lines, and the door glass is just right and is set off nicely with the limited color range in the rest of the shot, and those blacks are accented beautifully by the border you've chosen. The off-set white balance really picks up the brown eye color and compliments the overall contrasts. A great perspective, and a lovely calm expression on the dog. I agree with UltimaMC, I might have cropped off a wee bit from the lower right, but Top-shelf photo!

acearchie, your capture is priceless also :cool:

Great shots in here, everyone ~ congrats pakyooh.

18. GStormcrow macrumors newbie

Thanks for the kind comments and suggestions. I'll try a different crop on this and post up the result :)