Weekly Photo Contest - June 4 - May 10 (Theme: Lines)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pakyooh, Jun 4, 2012.

1. pakyooh, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

Weekly Photo Contest - June 4 - June 10 (Theme: Lines)
    Subject: Lines

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. Razeus macrumors 601

3. milbournosphere, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

[​IMG]

Anyways, onto my submission. Here are some traffic lines that I found during my last trip to the airport:

[​IMG]

4. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

5. AMariaJ macrumors newbie

AMariaJ

6. MasterDragon macrumors newbie

The Super Moon

Last month we had what was called a Super Moon. Here is my image taken on that moon-lit evening at Shelter Cove, CA.

Attached Files:

7. Nathanbl macrumors newbie

Channel

Monday night.

Attached Files:

8. joshuaginter macrumors regular

This is a lot like AlexH's, who continues to dazzle with amazing shots. I suppose you could say I am trying to emulate one of the best on these forums!

Attached Files:

9. snyder7 macrumors member

WOW, that's a stunning shot!!! Well done my friend!!!!

Here's mine from a couple of weeks ago here in Seattle

[​IMG]
    IMG_2920-imp by HowardASnyder, on Flickr

10. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    by joejukes, on Flickr

iso 100
    30mm
    f/7.1
    1/40

7d
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    Silver efex pro 2

11. Bartlindon, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  12. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Not a great shot but I liked the use of lines in this tunnel!

[​IMG]

13. iTiki macrumors 6502

14. pakyooh thread starter macrumors 6502

pakyooh

Lots of good ones in this bunch. Couldn't really go in much detail because I have a few things to work on but I tried to comment on all the submissions. Hope I don't get blasted for the critiques.

milbournosphere: the sign is a bit of a distraction. the image became a picture about the sign.

AlexH: the colors, composition, leading lines taking my eyes directly to the horizon/sunset... sold!

deep diver: the image is lacking something. might need a bit more punch, sharpness. something to enhance the rust details on the metal.

AMariaJ: you can take the image in two different directions. either brighten it up a bit so you can see the details more (golden hour look) or darken the shadows for a defined silhouette.

Comeagain: good job on this one. leading lines are also on point.

Razeus: I'm partial to b&w, i like this one. there's movement but i composition could use some adjustment. maybe straighten out the wall on the left side.

VITM: really diggin' the contrast in this image. im a bit torn with the placement of the horizon though. I myself am not sure if I want more of the sky or the railroad but I think either one would work.

MasterDragon: I like this image a lot but I think it could use more punch. The image is too soft, colors are a bit muted.

Nathanbl: Monday night? what time was this? would love to get more light like this at the end of the day so I'm not always rushing when shooting. The front of the boat is a bit distracting. I think if you place the horizon a bit lower, it would a bit more pleasing.

Alonzo84: dude, you're brave. Seems like the water was getting really close to your camera. Composition could use a bit more tweaking.

joshuaginter: lol ditto about AlexH and his work. but your work, nice colors and composition works really well.

28Fiend: light is amazing! sharpness works really well, very detailed.

snyder7: nice job with this one. a bit on the soft side though.

cupcakes2000: I'm allover this one. this is what I was hoping to see when I thought of the theme for this week. although I'm partial to B&W, I would love to see a color version of this. I can imagine the texture of the trunks standing out from all the greens.

BarryJ: I can see this one working better if you try b&w. my eyes are drawn directly to the reds, which doesn't really say much as a subject. b&w would eliminate the distractions and help to see the image as whole.

oblomow: the angle of the shot isn't really working for me. i think you would have had a stronger image if you were in the middle and theres more symmetry.

Eolian: first thing I thought was NatGeo, then i realized what it was. cool point of view.

Bartlindon: great detail. this is convincing me to get a macro lens even more.

acearchie: not gonna hate, I'm on instagram too! i think it would work better if you and the subjects were in the middle of the hallway.

JDDavis: I like the POV but lacks subject i think.

iTiki: not really sure about the subject. doesn't draw any attention to anything. maybe a different angle and depth.

3rd: VI™

2nd: ALexH

1st: Cupcakes2000

15. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Good job judging pakyooh! Congrats cupcakes2000, very cool shot. Also, thanks for the kind words joshua, I appreciate it!