Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Well said! :)

But then what is the point of suggesting guidelines for any contest if "anything goes"?
If someone says "post pictures of 'Fall' , and I submit a photo of daffodils because that's what it means to me...?

Welcome to the world of art! Where interpretation is king!

The theme was "Beautiful Day" not "Beautiful Spring Day" they are different! Even if the blurb focuses on Spring.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK

But then what is the point of suggesting guidelines for any contest if "anything goes"?
If someone says "post pictures of 'Fall' , and I submit a photo of daffodils because that's what it means to me...?

I totally understand where you are coming from. This week's contest allows a fairly broad interpretation I think as "Beautiful Day/Spring" can be seen as different things to different people, whereas a theme such as "insects" would be far more specific. A bit of artistic licence :D

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
Springtime In Vermont

Attachments

• Springtime In Vermont.jpg
    Springtime In Vermont.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Welcome to the world of art! Where interpretation is king!

The theme was "Beautiful Day" not "Beautiful Spring Day" they are different! Even if the blurb focuses on Spring.

Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with you. The theme is not just "Beautiful Day", it is as the OP stated "Let's see some shots showcasing the beauty that is Spring". You cannot just disregard the OP's blurb just because you want to. It's part of the theme and content.

It's very clear most of the users who posted a photo in this thread did not read the OP's remarks. There are guidelines for this reason. While I hate to argue, well over half the photos posted have nothing to do with "showcasing the beauty that is Spring".

Well said.

Stinja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The contest was to be interpreted however you saw fit.

The perspective on this shot is quite interesting. I love how the light is striking the red flower. I just wish it popped a little more overall.

Early spring yields crocus flowers.

You did a nice job drawing my eye to the focus flower. Beautiful purple and gold/yellow/organge.. or whatever that color is :p
It's still winter here so this is one of my favorite days from the summer, hiking along a ridge in the Yukon.

[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7848942772_2524c71790_b.jpg]Image[/url]
Yukon by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr
Some very cool depth going on here! It just keeps going off into the distance. I can imagine there was a great breeze up on that bridge!

We're 6 months ahead, or 6 months behind, in the southern hemisphere :p This was taken on 35mm film during our summer.

I think you're behind us. :p Nice film shot! The red and blues pop nicely off the screen, and the bokeh is pretty sweet too!

Spring, It's gettin' here...

Pretty cool view you've got there! Let that sun warm everything up!

Wow! that's quite an intense panorama! Love the colors, love the view. nicely done.

It's Autumn here, so it's time to grab as much water as you can before it gets too cold. Taken the other week, this young boy was hilarious running away from the waves screaming.

This is quite the adorable photo! I can just imagine how much fun to watch he must have been.

Again with the adorable pictures! The smile on the boy's face is absolutely priceless! He seems so happy here, just enjoying the water, with his father(I'm assuming) watching proudly over him.

This is a pretty cool shot! I love the tunnel-like vision, the darkened edges really bring that out and bring you in. I'm just confused as to what they're doing back there! :p

Around here it's a bit premature for blooms and blossoms but when the sun shines...it's always a beautiful day.

I think this is a great shot! Beautiful bokeh, a nice shallow depth of field. The fact that's it's all covered in snow doesn't matter to me, It still seems very beautiful.

Not really sure I would consider this to be a beautiful day, but it's a cool shot nonetheless.

This is a really beautiful shot! Great colors, great reflection. I really like how it switched from warm tones to cool tones as you pan across the buildings.

Mmm this makes me want to live on an island for a year or two.. Seems like it would be quite relaxing!

I really like how the light only catches the barn. Nice rustic feel.

Love the reds and pinks here! Some nice contrast too. The guy in the boat, especially the ripples behind him, really add to the image.

Lovely image! I just wish it was just slightly brighter, it seems a little too dark for me.

[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8241/8597757030_d48c4580b5_c.jpg]Image[/url]
Flowers 2 by AdamDTurner, on Flickr

Another image of the flowers starting to come out - warm wether is officially on the horizon.
Yen we're at that time of the year again! I certainly have no problem with that though! Nice shot, beautiful rose.

I've been to Lake Tahoe before, very beautiful!

This is pretty cool. The color and the noise in the glasses give it a real neat feel. Almost like you're looking into different time period through them.

I've always wanted to do some hiking like this.. Seems like quite the view up there!

Springtime In Vermont
I absolutely love the Northeast in the spring and summer time. It's absolutely beautiful up there. Though it's not Vermont, I've spent the past 12 summers in the Berkshires.

And without further adieu..

3rd: pakyooh

2nd: twitch31

1st: sunnyj

Congratulations to the winners!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Wow I didn't even get a critique :(

Congrats to the winners.

I would have loved to have shown the early signs of spring in my submission but unfortunately here in the UK we have decided to extend winter for a few more months! I tried to capture a warm sunrise that symbolises spring approaching the tail end of winter instead.

Last edited:

Stinja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Wow I didn't even get a critique :(

Congrats to the winners.

I would have loved to have shown the early signs of spring in my submission but unfortunately here in the UK we have decided to extend winter for a few more months! I tried to capture a warm sunrise that symbolises spring approaching the tail end of winter instead.

So sorry about that! I had one written out for your photo but when I was going through and multi-quoting all the posts I must have missed yours. Totally my fault :eek:

Really lovely tone to this image. I love the pink in the snow and the glow in the sky. I like how the foreground is nice and out of focus, it gives a nice context to the image as a whole. Now that I'm looking at it again, that out of focus bit gives it an almost tilt-shift like feel. I dig it, really nice job. Your description perfectly describes it! :)

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
So sorry about that! I had one written out for your photo but when I was going through and multi-quoting all the posts I must have missed yours. Totally my fault :eek:

Really lovely tone to this image. I love the pink in the snow and the glow in the sky. I like how the foreground is nice and out of focus, it gives a nice context to the image as a whole. Now that I'm looking at it again, that out of focus bit gives it an almost tilt-shift like feel. I dig it, really nice job. Your description perfectly describes it! :)

Thanks Stinja I thought it must have been an error and not that you hated it so much you couldn't bring yourself to talk about it :) I appreciate the comments, thanks. Looking forward to the new challenge.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Congrats & props for the five or six people who read this and submitted accordingly. Half of the entries don't deserve comment, except " inappropriate ".

I guess everyone has an opinion but to be honest it is up to the judge to decide what is appropriate - not you.

That's why we have the please don't comment rule until after the contest is complete. I realise you haven't commented on individual photos but you certainly may have affected the judging by passing comment on things that aren't really your business. I may sound harsh but if you have comments regarding the contest then there is a time and a place which is after the contest or directly to the judge via a PM.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Congrats to the winners and a great job with the theme and critique Stinja...thank you!

I do have fun posting in this thread. :)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
So is sunnyj gonna come back and start a new contest? He/she was in the forums this morning and not noticed they won.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Well the rules state, "The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme) "

So that having past - I would think Twitch31 would be next in line to pick a topic...?

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Since twitch has not responded either, it now goes to pakyooh. Alternatively, and if it is the desire of the group, I will do it so that we do not lose any momentum. It is 8:00EDT now and I will be up for another 3 hours. Let me know if you all want me to jump in.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Since twitch has not responded either, it now goes to pakyooh. Alternatively, and if it is the desire of the group, I will do it so that we do not lose any momentum. It is 8:00EDT now and I will be up for another 3 hours. Let me know if you all want me to jump in.

Please do deep diver and thank you...momentum is always good but only if I can score a win. :)

Peter

Stinja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Have you PM'd twitch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.