Weekly Photo Contest: Mar 3-Mar 10 (Theme: Something Sweet)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by samcraig, Mar 3, 2013.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Welcome to this weeks photo thread!

Theme: Something Sweet

There are many things in this world consider sweet. A first kiss, a piece of chocolate, two kittens sleeping next to each other. You can submit anything that relates to the theme and how you interpret it!

Good luck! I can't wait to see this week's entries...

Rules:
    You may only submit one photo per contest.
    Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.
    The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)
    At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)
    The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. deep diver, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I decided on a different image, and have reposted below.

3. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Going literal with this one..

[​IMG]

4. MasterDragon macrumors newbie

Sweet Kisses

A Seal Pup gives mother a kiss.

Attached Files:

5. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

Thought this was a great connection between father and son
    [​IMG]
    DSC_3389 by dspector32, on Flickr

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Gala (Apples)

[​IMG]

Canon Rebel XS: 1/40 ƒ/5 ISO 200 30 mm

7. Neur0genesis macrumors member

Sweet Moments

Not that great of a picture, but an incredibly sweet moment...

My Ph.D Defense Party this week!

Attached Files:

8. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

9. astrosinmyeyes macrumors member

Sweetest dog in the world

Attached Files:

10. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Also from Ocean City, NJ

Attached Files:

11. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Contest will close at 8pm EST. I'll try my best to do the judging tonight. If not, tomorrow morning.

Best,
    SamCraig

13. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

14. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

A rose can say "I love you", orchids can enthrall, but a weed bouquet in a chubby fist, yes, that says it all.

[​IMG]

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Here we go. Please keep in mind that by no means am I an expert or professional. I enjoyed everyone's photos (I always do in these threads) so thank you for participating. I know my picture taking/processing has been inspired and improved by you all...

Beautiful photo - and worthy of being in a cookbook. While I do love the bleached look here - for me, I might have eased up on it a little. If only to help showcase how "rich" the chocolate is.

Nice drama and lighting in this shot. The play house in the back is a little distracting to me. It obviously couldn't be avoided. And it does add to the story of where we are thought. Nice job!

Very sweet indeed. Nice moment captured - I wonder if it might be better cropped a little tighter though?

I like the connection as well. I was mentally cropping the shot closer in my head. While I like the audience as it places the location well - I think a tighter crop might have more impact on that connection.

I apologize for not having much to say about this shot. It's a great shot. And I'm not really sure how one would improve it.

A sweet shot. I love the light in this one. My only quibble would be that I (personally) would remove the food/drink lines near the corner of the mouth.

Nice shot. I like the reflection of the lights on the apples. I might crop the right side a little.

Not going to lie. I wanted to reach into the screen and grab it. A great shot and well lit. I also really like the detail in the pastry. Not a huge fan of the watermark though (sorry!)

It's a nice (snap) shot type picture. I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be looking but the entire framing tells a story as you look around. p.s. Congratulations!

Nice moment captures. How fast did you have to run and get your camera? It's hard to make this comment since I know this was a quick/random shot - but the lighting could be better. Maybe some post-processing?

Fun picture! I was wondering if the yellow tint was a decision or if the shot wasn't white balanced? I like the post/moment captured. I do wonder if the subject cheated towards the camera so she was looking at us or looking at the desserts. She's looking off "somewhere" which is ok. Not good/not bad though.

I always enjoy your shots. Great use of overall light and focus. I like the setting. My only minor comment would be the lighting on the subjects face. I feel like it could be a bit brighter?

I like the juxtaposition of the dogs. Really nice close up/capturing a "live" moment. I would have loved to have had the eyes in sharp focus as well. But a really nice shot!

Sweet shot! The top right line distracts me a bit. I might also tweak the contrast/saturation a bit higher to punch it up. But that's just me.

Really nice shot - and I do like it better than the first one you posted :) The light and colors are great. I would have preferred a focal point either as the foreground or background as opposed to the middle. But like the shot above - that's just me.

There's something about the abstract lighting I like about this - but at the same time it pulls a little focus away from the subject. But overall a very nice shot. The angle is a bit steep.

Love this shot - great color and focus.

Awww - very cute. How old? I really like this shot. While a little "snapshotty" - it's a good capture. I would have liked to have seen some light bounced towards the face thought.

------------------------------------

Again - great job everyone. And here's the standing....

1st Place: coryndiego
    2nd Place: pakyooh
    3rd Place: Elbert C

16. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for the great judging and critique!

This was one of my first film shots when I picked up my Dad's old film camera and I came across it on Flickr and thought it seemed "sweet" enough. Totally agree with you that the exposure was a little off and something that I still haven't got right yet. In the future I plan on shooting one stop over with film to hopefully compensate for this! Thanks again and congratulations to coryndiego's and I look forward to the next!

17. coryndiego macrumors regular

coryndiego

Thanks! I captured the delicious image at a menu shoot for a local delicatessen. I'm glad it made you want to eat it!

Great photos everyone!! New theme on the way...

18. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

Great job with the judging. I do with now that I cropped in a bit more on that photo. Congrats coryndiego!