Weekly Photo Contest (March 17th - 24th, 2012) - Climbing Up the Walls

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eolian, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Eolian macrumors regular

Let's do something a little off-beat, inspired in part by a terrific old (and scary) song by Radiohead:

Climbing Up the Walls

The theme is wide open ~ it could be shadows, vines, technical climbers, critters (?), artwork, stressed out parents, etc ... Anything goes. What have you?

I'm looking forward to your creative interpretation and expressive compositions. Mostly, just have some fun with it!

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. MelissaD macrumors newbie

MelissaD

Climbing Everything

Thiese Cypress vines grow higher every summer. Can't wait to start it all over again this year. They also attract hummingbirds.

Attached Files:

3. Somepix macrumors member

Somepix

4. butch10x macrumors regular

This is a view looking up from the cables on the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. I wouldn't attempt to climb it though!

[​IMG]
    Lines by Bhupesh Patel Photography, on Flickr

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Saw this furry spider climbing a wall....only to realise later that the fur was actually her babies.
    [​IMG]

6. Bartlindon macrumors newbie

Bartlindon

Climbing Up the Walls: the ant view

Climbing Up the Walls: the ant view

Attached Files:

7. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Life has been extremely busy and I've been away from the forum for quite a while. The theme for this contest caught my attention though as it's one of the things I love to take pictures of (climbing...not walls). Things are settling down a bit so hopefully I'll be a better forum member again.

[​IMG]

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Not sure if it's completely on brief but I loved the texture of this wall and the way the sunset semi-reflected off it!

[​IMG]

9. Eolian thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, this contest is now closed. Thanks to everyone for participating :)

You've presented some fine photos, all; selections will be difficult. I'll return tomorrow with my comments and choices.

10. Eolian thread starter macrumors regular

I've really enjoyed looking these over; here are my thoughts:

MelissaD - Wonderful! This picture starts us off well, directly capturing the subject theme. Unfortunately the large, dark shadow and off-set horizon detract from the visual impact ... Perhaps framing this back a few steps and at a different time of day, or using a flash fill, is possible to really capture this? ps - I love hummingbirds, and I'm jealous.

Sideonecincy - Beautiful, vibrant color saturation with a just-right black point, allowing the shirt textures to come through. I much like this picture.

Somepix - Ah, right on! Great perspective and the low-light shadow really to my eye becomes the main feature ... the shadow itself looks to be an all-together different creature climbing up the wall. Well done.

butch10x - Wow. Nice focal point and framing, and terrific diffusion of the background sky. Are the cable colors retouched or is that the actual hue? No walls or climbing, but an absorbing picture.

Chappers - This certainly nails the theme. I'm a big macro-photographer myself, and it's always a thrill when hidden objects and details pop out. This must have been quite a surprise seeing all those babies on there(!)

Bartlindon - A cool shot of an interesting idea, with nice abstract color development. I somewhat think if this were rotated so that the window lattice was perpendicular it might appeal a bit more, but then that's not the ant's perspective, is it? Good photo.

JDDavis - Great shot. I like how the lens surface creates a curved view of the wall while appearing flat itself. The sun glints on the frames provide nice accents to the scene. Now, please don't take this personally, but the one detraction of this photo for me is the prominence of the nose and the hairs along it's surface. A tighter crop isolating just the main lens might strengthen this picture. That said, it's a great capture as is.

acearchie - Very pretty shot, and I agree completely about the wall texture. I like it.

So ... tough to sort these into a ranking, but based on the theme, here's my take:

3rd - Chappers
    2nd - Somepix
    1st - JDDavis

Thanks again to everyone for taking part! JDDavis, you've got 48 hours by the rules to get the next one rolling.

11. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

JD - you deserved that win - love the shot.

Eolian : Great judging.

12. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Thanks for the nod Eolian and for the comment, Chappers. I was a bit late but the new contest is posted now. I'm trying to get back into the swing of the forum after laying low for a while. I missed the weekly contests and challenges.