Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
getsmart.jpg

This picture works for the theme. It is a journey back in time.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Ish – Fantastic B&W capture. It perfectly encapsulates the boredom and longing to arrive on a long journey. Staring out into the distance watching the world slowly wind by. Nice composition with the relative focus being on the distance rather than the foreground but sufficient detail in the foreground to be able to sense the emotion. Lovely

MacRy – I enjoy looking at this image, trying to work out what elements are reflection verses real. Really like the tonality of the image, great shadow detail and depth to an abstract take on the train journey. I get the feeling this is the anticipation and longing for the journey to begin, two trains sat side by side on adjacent tracks waiting to depart.

InkMich – Spotted the 911 by the characteristic shape of the wing mirrors and the rear spoiler on the top of the rear screen. Great leading lines. I like the capture of the ABS braking pattern on the road – obviously done by computer not human timing. Screams road trip, the road ahead, anticipation of what is to come. Nice

Someoldguy – Wow. The epitome of journey. A lone wanderer out in the wilderness, stripped back to the absolute basics. The subtle path ahead worn into the ground and the loan tree in the distance. This is straight out of National Geographic.

DeepDiver – Nice landscape. Lots of depth and leading lines. The transition from Green to Blue hues is lovely and the foreground details add to the scale. Well done.

Anotherscotsman – Fast as L? you mean Bloody L that is lovely! The sense of movement, the tones, the contrast and strong leading lines. Fabulous image.

GeorgeInnj – Great documentary image of the river cruise boat. Nice colour, funny design on the front and a good leading line.

NetGrit0 – The road less travelled. Great image of the journey ahead. Similar to the earlier shot but I think I like the colours more on this one. I would have liked a lower perspective maybe but good nonetheless.

Koilvr – Brilliant. This reminds me of belting along Route 22 in NY state on the way to work in my rental car in 1999. Moody soft light from tree cover, rainy, misty and a winding road.

Apple Fanboy – I liked these the last time you posted them. Liked the composition and the contrasts. The flame detail adds something to it and it is a great journey I hope to try one day. The colours are nice in that they seem sepia but I am not sure if that is not just the colour of light. Nicely captured.

RX7Dude – Love it, motion captured nicely. The lights and the perspective are lovely. Nicely done.

HughMac – Lol… nice grab of the miserable, less romantic ideals of a journey, the being wet through and driving in an overly hot and dry car with steamed up windows and wipers that aren’t helping. The eternal longing to be at home already with a nice cup of tea. I am glad you were in the back seat!

OK, so…

Thinking about it, there are a lot of really good images here and I wish I could choose more than one winner but that doesn’t help with setting up next weeks competition. SO, here goes.

I am going to go with the following:

3rd Place – Anotherscotsman for another cracking L picture. Fantastic moment grabbed nicely.

2nd Place – Someoldguy. I love the Nat Geo feel to the image, the neutrality to the tones and the bleakness of the landscape. A long journey ahead

1st place – I would like to award first place to Ish, I think it captures my mindset perfectly when I thought about Journey. The boredom and longing to be there. The world passing you by, the world going about their business. Caught in a nice high contrast B&W image. Very nicely done.

So, it is with great pleasure, I pass the baton to Ish.

Thanks guys for putting in a good show for my compo this week.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thx and sorry for delay in judging. Been absolutely buried today.

Sat in the airport in Munich waiting for a flight home. Will get to bed maybe 12:30am... then up for a customer meeting tomorrow morning. :-(

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thank you. I think everyone is really stepping up their game. Nightmare to judge this week!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thank you. I think everyone is really stepping up their game. Nightmare to judge this week!
Isn't it every week?

Well done everyone. Lots of great ideas. I liked the theme a lot as it gave lots of scope for different ideas.
Hope your journey home isn't too long Ken. Maybe you could take a picture of your journey!

Reactions: kenoh and Ish

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
If I can stay awake long enough I will take some pictures. I am on the 21:50 Munich to Edinburgh flight, then have to get car and drive home. Will try to get a few snaps of my journey.
[doublepost=1460053322][/doublepost]Found out today that I am likely headed to Vegas later in the year so Laird Knox, watch out... :)

Reactions: Laird Knox

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
Thank you so much for the feedback kenoh and congratulations to the winners. I do enjoy looking at everyone's pictures and appreciating the creativity and execution that goes into them.
[doublepost=1460056944][/doublepost]
InkMich – Spotted the 911 by the characteristic shape of the wing mirrors and the rear spoiler on the top of the rear screen. Great leading lines. I like the capture of the ABS braking pattern on the road – obviously done by computer not human timing. Screams road trip, the road ahead, anticipation of what is to come. Nice.

I should point out that here in the States that ABS braking pattern is actually rumble strips that are purposely placed in the road. There are there in case one falls asleep or is not paying attention and drifts off the road. I will admit from experience they really do work.

Reactions: kenoh

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Ish – Fantastic B&W capture. It perfectly encapsulates the boredom and longing to arrive on a long journey. Staring out into the distance watching the world slowly wind by. Nice composition with the relative focus being on the distance rather than the foreground but sufficient detail in the foreground to be able to sense the emotion. Lovely

MacRy – I enjoy looking at this image, trying to work out what elements are reflection verses real. Really like the tonality of the image, great shadow detail and depth to an abstract take on the train journey. I get the feeling this is the anticipation and longing for the journey to begin, two trains sat side by side on adjacent tracks waiting to depart.

InkMich – Spotted the 911 by the characteristic shape of the wing mirrors and the rear spoiler on the top of the rear screen. Great leading lines. I like the capture of the ABS braking pattern on the road – obviously done by computer not human timing. Screams road trip, the road ahead, anticipation of what is to come. Nice

Someoldguy – Wow. The epitome of journey. A lone wanderer out in the wilderness, stripped back to the absolute basics. The subtle path ahead worn into the ground and the loan tree in the distance. This is straight out of National Geographic.

DeepDiver – Nice landscape. Lots of depth and leading lines. The transition from Green to Blue hues is lovely and the foreground details add to the scale. Well done.

Anotherscotsman – Fast as L? you mean Bloody L that is lovely! The sense of movement, the tones, the contrast and strong leading lines. Fabulous image.

GeorgeInnj – Great documentary image of the river cruise boat. Nice colour, funny design on the front and a good leading line.

NetGrit0 – The road less travelled. Great image of the journey ahead. Similar to the earlier shot but I think I like the colours more on this one. I would have liked a lower perspective maybe but good nonetheless.

Koilvr – Brilliant. This reminds me of belting along Route 22 in NY state on the way to work in my rental car in 1999. Moody soft light from tree cover, rainy, misty and a winding road.

Apple Fanboy – I liked these the last time you posted them. Liked the composition and the contrasts. The flame detail adds something to it and it is a great journey I hope to try one day. The colours are nice in that they seem sepia but I am not sure if that is not just the colour of light. Nicely captured.

RX7Dude – Love it, motion captured nicely. The lights and the perspective are lovely. Nicely done.

HughMac – Lol… nice grab of the miserable, less romantic ideals of a journey, the being wet through and driving in an overly hot and dry car with steamed up windows and wipers that aren’t helping. The eternal longing to be at home already with a nice cup of tea. I am glad you were in the back seat!

OK, so…

Thinking about it, there are a lot of really good images here and I wish I could choose more than one winner but that doesn’t help with setting up next weeks competition. SO, here goes.

I am going to go with the following:

3rd Place – Anotherscotsman for another cracking L picture. Fantastic moment grabbed nicely.

2nd Place – Someoldguy. I love the Nat Geo feel to the image, the neutrality to the tones and the bleakness of the landscape. A long journey ahead

1st place – I would like to award first place to Ish, I think it captures my mindset perfectly when I thought about Journey. The boredom and longing to be there. The world passing you by, the world going about their business. Caught in a nice high contrast B&W image. Very nicely done.

So, it is with great pleasure, I pass the baton to Ish.

Thanks guys for putting in a good show for my compo this week.

Congratulations to Ish - a worthy winner. from a range of good entries. Thanks Ken for the great commentary and challenging theme.

Reactions: kenoh and Ish

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Terrific theme for a competition, @kenoh. And decent generous judging and feedback - very well done.

Great picture by @Ish - loved the composition, the image, the setting, the ambience; I love photos taken in trains, and this posture is one that I know well.

Also, @anotherscotsman very well done and @someoldguy - that was a powerful, arresting image - the sort of thing that could feature on the cover of an Amnesty International or Transparency International country report - two excellent and well deserved placings.

Ah, loved that show as a very small kid; clever, funny and anarchic.

Reactions: Ish

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Thanks Kenoh for the placement. I'm honoured! Thanks too for the congratulations, and well done too to @someoldguy and @anotherscotsman. Lots of good pictures this week.

I hadn't really thought out the dates properly when I entered. If I get another competition up tomorrow it'll run from 8–15 April and I'll be in the air when the competition ends. I can close it on the 16th and have the results up by the 17th. Do you want to run with that or shall I ask anotherscotsman to take over?

Thanks again!

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Congrats to ISH and ANOTHERSCOTSMAN for their !st and 3rd respectively . And thanks for the second , and for taking the time to individually comment on each entry .
My entry was taken on the last trip I shot with film ,in 2005 . Scanned from the negatives at the time of processing by the local Fujifilm place . It's among my favorite shots that I've ever taken .The guy in the picture is a Masai who we encountered when traveling between Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti Park , in Tanzania . He was truly in the middle of nowhere , apparently coming from no place and going , well who knows where , but I hope he's arrived by now . Our driver offered him a lift ,but he wouldn't take it , and kept going .

INKMICH … Think I've driven that road , looks like Utah 191 near the Arizona border . I , sadly , had to drive it in a rented Chevy Cruze .

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks Kenoh for the placement. I'm honoured! Thanks too for the congratulations, and well done too to @someoldguy and @anotherscotsman. Lots of good pictures this week.

I hadn't really thought out the dates properly when I entered. If I get another competition up tomorrow it'll run from 8–15 April and I'll be in the air when the competition ends. I can close it on the 16th and have the results up by the 17th. Do you want to run with that or shall I ask anotherscotsman to take over?

Thanks again!
You go for it...

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

Thanks again!

Go with it. That kind of thing happens regularly.

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
INKMICH … Think I've driven that road , looks like Utah 191 near the Arizona border . I , sadly , had to drive it in a rented Chevy Cruze .

It truly was a great trip, I'll post more pictures from it in time. That highway in the picture is actually I-70. I did drive on Utah 191 two days later and would recommend that road to anyone, it is truly iconic when heading into the Navajo Nation on the Arizona/Utah border. The landscapes in that part of the world are spectacular (and one of the primary reasons I went there).

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
It truly was a great trip, I'll post more pictures from it in time. That highway in the picture is actually I-70. I did drive on Utah 191 two days later and would recommend that road to anyone, it is truly iconic when heading into the Navajo Nation on the Arizona/Utah border. The landscapes in that part of the world are spectacular (and one of the primary reasons I went there).

A trans USA road trip is on my bucket list. Obviously I think of it in a rag top Mustang (or Shelby) context but yeah, a Porsche would be nice... if I ever get approval from my boss at home to get one! :)

Reactions: inkmich

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A trans USA road trip is on my bucket list. Obviously I think of it in a rag top Mustang (or Shelby) context but yeah, a Porsche would be nice... if I ever get approval from my boss at home to get one! :)

What about a very good quality used - or second hand - Porsche? Those (German) cars are incredibly well built, and some of them can be found at an affordable price if you were to buy them second hand.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
What about a very good quality used - or second hand - Porsche? Those (German) cars are incredibly well built, and some of them can be found at an affordable price if you were to buy them second hand.

Lol... please dont tempt me. :)

but no, a used, good condition 1995/1996 993 can go for the same money today used, as buying a new one.

996s are usually easy to get but they are not air cooled. If you are going for a used 911, you want air cooled for the purists... :)

No, I havent looked into it honest.... ;-)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

but no, a used, good condition 1995/1996 993 can go for the same money today used, as buying a new one.

996s are usually easy to get but they are not air cooled. If you are going for a used 911, you want air cooled for the purists... :)

Yes, but are you a purist? Or, rather, are you a purist in every area of your life?

Anyway, I'll try not to tempt you.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa

NONONO … You're a family man and , seeing that this is a big deal trip, they should accompany you on the journey . Taking that into consideration , what you need for the trip is a 60's or early 70's Cadillac(preferably Eldorado) convertible . Nice soft ride for the wife , big trunk for the kids to play in if they get bored , nobody will get in your way , what could be better (except leaving them home and doing the trip in a drop-top 'Vette' )?

Last edited:
Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
NONONO … You're a family man and , seeing that this is a big deal trip, they should accompany you on the journey . Taking that into consideration , what you need for the trip is a 60's or early 70's Cadillac(preferably Eldorado) convertible . Nice soft ride for the wife , big trunk for the kids to play in if they get bored , nobody will get in your way , what could be better (except leaving them home and doing the trip in a drop-top 'Vette' )?

lol... I am a family man... but oh my god! I will never drive another Cadillac again! I had the horror of a few V8 Northstar DeVilles (devils) as rentals when working over there and you should have a skipper license not a drivers license for those boats! :(
[doublepost=1460123833][/doublepost]
Yes, but are you a purist? Or, rather, are you a purist in every area of your life?

Anyway, I'll try not to tempt you.

I write with a fountain pen, I wear a mechanical watch, I shoot with a rangefinder....

I refuse to comment on being a purist on the grounds it will damage my credibility at a later date.... :)

When it comes to Porsches my brother in law has me programmed to prefer air cooled...

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
lol... I am a family man... but oh my god! I will never drive another Cadillac again! I had the horror of a few V8 Northstar DeVilles (devils) as rentals when working over there and you should have a skipper license not a drivers license for those boats! :(
[doublepost=1460123833][/doublepost]

I write with a fountain pen, I wear a mechanical watch, I shoot with a rangefinder....

I refuse to comment on being a purist on the grounds it will damage my credibility at a later date.... :)

When it comes to Porsches my brother in law has me programmed to prefer air cooled...
Yeah , they're land yachts . Never owned one myself ( I've got my pride) but drove a friend's several times (63 Deville IIRC) convertible years back . It just kinda wallowed down the road …you didn't really drive it , just more or less aimed the thing . Probably one of the few vehicles I can think of that could be legitimately pulled over by the Coast Guard .

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yeah , they're land yachts . Never owned one myself ( I've got my pride) but drove a friend's several times (63 Deville IIRC) convertible years back . It just kinda wallowed down the road …you didn't really drive it , just more or less aimed the thing . Probably one of the few vehicles I can think of that could be legitimately pulled over by the Coast Guard .
ha ha ha...

You have your pride!?!? but you suggested I lower myself!?!? :) thanks mate! :)

Reactions: someoldguy

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

I write with a fountain pen as well. We call it classic and sophisticated. It is impossible to have your credibility damaged by embracing old-school.

My teenage kids are amazed at how much more effective old-school can be vs. new-school. I do miss library card catalogs.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.