Weekly Photo Contest (May 10 - May 17) Topic - Small World

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Juanbond, May 10, 2011.

1. Juanbond macrumors member

Juanbond

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
    (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Topic : Small World

I have noticed that pictures are posted to this contest from all over the world. Since many of us will not have the chance to travel all over the world post pictures from where you live or interesting places you have visited. Pictures can be cityscapes, land scapes, a specific item that represents a certain location...whatever you want.

Contest will end on May 17th at 2:00 P.M. Seattle, Washington time.

2. Chappers, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Jesus Green, Cambridge, England. very early one winter morning on my way to work. You have to get out early to avoid having people in your photo.;)

[​IMG]

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

4. hltjr, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

hltjr macrumors newbie

5. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

6. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia (Canada)

I lived in Halifax for a few years and during my last week there finally got a chance to drive out and see the area:

[​IMG]

7. Waybo macrumors regular

Canterbury NH

I found this lovely setting off a back road just north of Concord NH. This is a typical scene found in southern and central New Hampshire in early spring.

[​IMG]

ISO 200, 21mm, f/8, 1/640

8. Trub, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

Trub macrumors newbie

Dog Canyon, Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Texas

[​IMG]

ISO-400, 23mm, f/5.6, 150 seconds

subscribing

9. SB123, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  10. Chappers, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I've PM'd SB123 to ask for comment to be removed

Which was kindly done.

11. Juanbond thread starter macrumors member

Juanbond

Ok my friends. The contest is now closed. I will post the results when I get home from work in a couple of hours. Thank you for the entries.

12. Juanbond thread starter macrumors member

Juanbond

Results

Hello everyone. I am sorry for getting to this a little bit late I had something come up last night. I wanted to thank everyone for their entries I feel the contest was successful since we had entries from around the world. The following are my simple opinions and in no way am I a professional, I just call it how I see it.

Chappers: I really liked this picture. The way the lights contrast with the early morning really make the picture pop.

Jodelli: This is a pretty good cityscape, I like the elevated view. The only recommendation I have is the parking lot seems a LITTLE bit distracting.

hltjr: The yellow of the car against the back ground really draws your attention to the car. The only thing I can recommend is perhaps a different view of the car. I have seen those cars and they are pretty cool, not just the front.

stradale33: This is what I was looking for in the contest. I have never had a chance to go to Jordan and I probably never will. I like how you captured a regular day in Amman, the gentleman's face in the foreground says a lot. I feel the picture could have improved a little bit simply by waiting for the two men in the street to clear the frame. However, very good capture.

rebby: Another good shot. You focused on a landmark that represents a certain area. The lit bridge against the black sky is very effective.

Nuks: This is a very dramatic picture. I love the way the light house sits against the dramatic sky. Very effective.

razeus: I think black and white was a great choice for this picture. The girl passing by on her bike in the back ground was a good touch. The power lines did seem a little bit distracting, however, you could easily photoshop them out.

waybo: I really enjoyed the colors of this picture. The scene looks so peaceful. The only recommendation I would have for this one is a different point of view, there seems to be a strip of dead trees that would look better with thick vegetation.

acearchie: This is a great picture and very well matched to the theme. I love how the sunset lights the scene. Very peaceful.

Trub: Great shot. I think the long exposure at night was a great touch. The lit tree is very interesting. Wonderful job.

Thanks again for the entries. Again I don't have any formal training so the following results are just the pictures that appealed to me the most.

3rd Place: Chappers
    2nd Place: Trub

1st Place: Nuks

Congratulations NUKS and I look forward to seeing what theme you can come up with for the following week!

13. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Well done Nuks a worthy winner. Thanks to Juanbond for great judging.

Trub - very interesting shot and I know I wasn't the only one who liked it.

Also liked Rebby's shot.

Cracking week of very varied and great shots.

Im pleased to come third.

14. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

15. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

Chappers, loved your photo, it made me feel home sick. i'm from Christchurch, New Zealand and your shot looked like it could have been Hagley Park on a winter morning. (Christchurch is often referred to as the most English of New Zealand cities.)

16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Thank you for the compliment - my neighbor who has family on your side of the planet said exactly the same thing about Christchurch

17. Waybo macrumors regular

Thank you, Juanbond. There were some really good shots here. It must have been hard to pick the winner.

Congratulations to Nuks for a truly magnificent photo, and to the runners up as well.

I also really like rebby's shot of the golden bridge. rebby provided an interesting link to the bridge, which included a night shot. rebby's shot was FAR superior to the one on that website.

18. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Wow, just checked in on this.. there were some really great shots in here, so thanks everyone!

will make a new topic now