Weekly Photo Contest (May 13 - 20)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mickbab, May 13, 2009.

1. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Weekly Photo Contest (May 13 - 20)

Rules:

1. You may submit only one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamp on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which again will run for exactly one week.

This week's theme is: Illusion

A list of previous contests and their winners can be found here.

Good Luck to all!

2. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

3. 3paulx macrumors member

4. biggiej42 macrumors newbie

5. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

This was an early, rainy morning in downtown Dallas, TX. My son had commented that the clouds gave the illusion that some of the buildings were on fire and smoking (most notably the one on the right).

[​IMG]

6. techie4life macrumors 6502

7. runlsd macrumors 6502

runlsd

8. LittleCanonKid macrumors 6502

9. hector macrumors regular

10. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

When is a cedar frond not a cedar frond??????

[​IMG]

The "fronds" in this image are not leaves. They are mineral crystals that naturally grew this way as this specimen of agate formed.
    (Other than cropping the original image, I did no post-processing so that the natural colors would show).

Attached Files:

11. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

[​IMG]

The Hotel du Pantheon, Paris, a few years back.

12. CK Williams macrumors regular

A nice day to fly

Attached Files:

13. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

14. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Reflection in a church.

Attached Files:

15. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Festung Marienberg at night, Würzburg, Germany

Attached Files:

16. mickbab thread starter macrumors 65816

mickbab

Just letting everyone know that the contest will end in approximately 1 day.
    Australian EST 5:12pm 20/5/2009 is the official time. I will post as close as possible to that time.

Thanks to all the entrants so far!

17. hltjr macrumors newbie

The Gate at the Grand Prix

Attached Files:

18. mickbab thread starter macrumors 65816

mickbab

The contest is now over! I will judge when I get home later tonight.
    Congratulations to everyone!

19. mickbab thread starter macrumors 65816

mickbab

Okay here goes. I don't feel quite up to judging everyone so will just give some quick comments on my favourites (all in my amateur opinion). In order of appearance:

biggiej42's 'Doc': although I don't see the illusion here, I love this picture. very intriguing and the black and white gives it a very unique creative appearance.

epyfa's 'broken?' light bulb: simple yet effective. The sepia (I assume it's sepia) adds to the effect of the image and seems to reassure the light's status as 'broken' and old. a very creative image.

hector's 'Electricity': another creative picture. I really have no idea how you did this but it looks cool!

AxisOfBeagles's Hotel du Pantheon: yet another effective image - simple at first glance but quite interesting on inspection (perhaps the other way around?).

JDDavis's 'Reflection in a church': This is what I was imagining when I set this theme. Reflections, having to look twice, image upon image. Very well done on this one.

And now your winners!

3rd place - biggiej42 for his/her fascinating picture of his 'old buddy'. You have done very well this picture in my opinion. The dark areas covering most of the picture make this very interesting to me.

2nd place - epyfa for his/her confusing yet great light bulb image. As said above the little colour here if very effective but i think whatever colour it was in would look interesting. Again, very creative.

And finally, 1st place goes to.... JDDavis!. The contest goes back to you JD. As I said before, when I decided on the theme Illusions, this was exactly the kind of picture I had in mind. You captured the theme perfectly and so you get to set another contest. Congratulations!

Again well done to all entrants this week, and sorry about the limited evaluation, I'm not an expert. Looking forward to the next contest!

20. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

Thanks for hosting this week, mick. Congratulations to the 'winners' and to everyone.

It seemed to me that there were fewer entries this week - although I thought this was a great theme.

runlsd - loved the reflection in the ring photo. great lighting, DOF, and focus. I particularly like that the word 'shadow' was just visible - seemed consistent with the theme of the photo. well done.