Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Flip Flop Flotsam Found

Unclaimed footware
Long Beach, Cayman Brac, BWI.

Attachments

• brac_flops.jpg
    brac_flops.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 138

Subaquaman

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
norcal
This is my first post. I hope to make it a habit. All of the great pictures are inspirational.

Attachments

• IMG_5005.jpg
    IMG_5005.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 93

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Tradition says, we allow a judge 48 hours to come back at the end of one week - we are all busy sometimes.

That means pigbat still has about 6.5 hours to come back and judge this week.

We then turn to Nicolasdec and then joepunk to judge the contest.

pigbat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
My apologies, I thought the contest actually ran through the end of the 19th. Results will be posted soon.

pigbat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
This is my first chance to judge the Weekly Photo Contest. I was concerned I had picked too broad a category but had high hopes. The group did not disappoint and it has made my judging a difficult job.

panoz7 This looks like a great place to shoot. I love the composition but feel like the person in the capture takes away from some of the abandoned feeling.

luminosity Nice DOF and composition.

emorydunn Great lighting. I'm certain the gears made an interesting subject to study.

mhami I like the feel of this shot. I find myself asking a lot of questions as I look at the picture. It makes me wonder about the girl, the location, the building.

Mr Ski 73 Definitely abandoned... and a little abused. :)

mtbdudex Abandoned by their mother. Definitely leaves you wondering what you could do to help and you did all you could. Document it for the rest of us to experience.

Patriks7 Beautiful shot. Great color and DOF.

Chappers Another amazing photo. The sharpness, color and DOF are right on.

oblomow This looks like an interesting subject to shoot. I agree there is some sense of abandonment but something makes me want to change the crop or the composition a bit.

SuperSteve I really like this one with the faded colors against the pale blue sky. I definitely feel the abandonment. I wonder what happened to Roy.

turugara This is another quality picture. I love the DOF and get a couple different abandoned feelings from the picture. Nice work.

jake.f I like this shot. I read your comments after viewing the picture. I don't think you needed to direct viewers, the photo did a great job of speaking for itself.

Deep diver Great job with this photo. It wasn't until deeper examination of the scene that I realized it wasn't in the wild.

SLC Flyfishing Looks like an interesting place to shoot. I get a little lost with the skeleton in front and the bones in the background intersecting the skeleton.

ManhattanPrjct This definitely feels abandoned to me. I can't help but wonder what used to be and how it used to look.

someoldguy Great subject. I find myself a little distracted by the background and it tends to pull me away from the abandoned feel.

DC BAss An entry with a sense of humor. Did you decide to take to post it note and give it an appropriate home?

JDDavis Not a place I'd like to be abandoned.

NathanCH Great subject, great framing. I definitely feel like the old truck has been left to rot.

loss507 Great idea. I think a BW conversion would have given it a better feeling of abandonment.

pdxflint I have a soft spot for the little guy. I would like to have seen a shot that better explained his/her story.

nomad01 Another entry with a touch of humor. Great shot, great photo with nice DOF.

Angelo95210 Great location to shoot. I keep getting drawn to the pipe in the ceiling that intersects both lights. Other than that, a great photo.

-hh This was a great idea. It brings another sense of fun to the abandoned theme.

SelfMadeCelo Your just for fun entry is an excellent picture. I'm making an assumption that this is HDR. I'm not a huge fan of HDR but I can appreciate a well done one and this is well done and definitely fits the theme.

pyth Your subject had a lot of potential. I don't know that your capture did it justice but keep shooting. I have many abandoned gas pump pictures and I feel the same about the ones I've taken.

NintendoChick I love this one. The truck gets to live out the rest of its days with a great view.

Subaquaman Nice picture with interesting colors. Another abandoned man made marvel that has a beautiful resting place.

There are more than a handful of pictures here that reached out to me with a strong sense of abandon so narrowing the field was quite a challenge for me. In the end, one clearly had me coming back for more. Great job everyone and keep up the great work.

Third : Nomad01 This is a great photo. I tend to look for humor in everything and you captured abandon with a little humor to boot.

Second : ManhattanPrjct Great shot with no doubt of the abandonment.

FIRST - NathanCH : The old Dodge really calls out to me as abandoned. You did a great job of capturing the final resting place for the old work horse. Well done.

NathanCH - its over to you to chose a winner and judge for next week.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Thanks for the great job judging pigbat

And well done NathanCH it was a tough week with many great shots. The tough part starts now with judging the next competition.

SelfMadeCelo

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Tulare, CA
SelfMadeCelo Your just for fun entry is an excellent picture. I'm making an assumption that this is HDR. I'm not a huge fan of HDR but I can appreciate a well done one and this is well done and definitely fits the theme.

Thanks for the comments! I went with HDR because the tractor was mostly in the dark and so I was able to bring up more of the front of the house and the tractor as well. Thanks again!

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Let's do it!

You let us know when time is up!

Then I can remove my photo and post a poll so we can each vote on the winner or something, whatever people think should be done. I never thought of this issue when I created the weekly contest.

SLC

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Let's do it!

You let us know when time is up!

Then I can remove my photo and post a poll so we can each vote on the winner or something, whatever people think should be done. I never thought of this issue when I created the weekly contest.

SLC

I've also PM'd Nomad01 but if we don't hear anything then I vote that you do the next contest - and judge it. A poll may work, you the "Creator" - I think you should have the final say.

Cheers

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed. I'd hate for these guys to miss a chance to judge but I think it's more important to keep the weekly contest going.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Nobody's PM'd me - but NathanCH should get a crack at sitting in the big chair.

And to answer the "what is that?" question: before air-travel was as popular and efficient as it is now, much of the coastline of Manhattan was lined by piers for passenger ships and for cargo. You can see the rotting pilings off in the distance, and the machinery for dry-docking (I think?) is pretty much rusted beyond belief. This pier probably hasn't been in operation in probably 40+ years.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Nobody's PM'd me - but NathanCH should get a crack at sitting in the big chair.

I must apologise - I haven't PM'd anyone except Nomad01 - I did write messages and pushed the "send" button but I think I forgot to add a title to the messages - surprise surprise no sent message.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Hi everyone, I'd love to have the opportunity to judge next weeks contest. Thank you PigBat for selecting me as the winner, it means a lot! This is my first time winning anything related to photography. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.