Weekly Photo Contest - Nov 19 - Nov 25 - Black and White With a Hint of Color

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Juanbond, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Juanbond macrumors member

Juanbond

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Black and White With a Hint of Color

The following is a simple example that I did a while back. The theme, however, can be interpreted however you like. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

I think this qualifies.

Edit: I submitted the wrong one first time. I hope fixing that is okay.

[​IMG]

3. Indydenny, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Spinnaker

[​IMG]

Canon EOS 1000D
    13s
    f/3.5
    18 mm
    ISO100

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

6. Nuks, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  7. mellowdave macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Ducati in the Hill Country

I wish I had shot this with a wide angle, but c'est la vie.

8. pukifloyd, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Clicked this a while back in India...it was my first time using photoshop seriously :) (I know i didn't do a great job..but its the best i could manage at that time)
    ps- this child was not posing...clicked this at the end of the day...its my ex-school...
    [​IMG]

9. erickg macrumors 6502

10. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

11. mtbdudex, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  12. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sadly my powerbook doesn't have any of the programs I would need for selective desaturation so I will have to go with this which has a lot of black!

[​IMG]

13. Juanbond thread starter macrumors member

Juanbond

End

I will end the contest here. Yesterday was Thanksgiving in the United States so I was with family all day and didn't have a chance to do the judging. I will try and declare a winner in the next few hours from my office or as soon as I get home tonight. I want to devote enough time to thoroughly review each picture.

Have a great Friday!

14. Juanbond thread starter macrumors member

Juanbond

I like the way this tunnel looks, the way the the light shoots up and to the side. The way it is shot minimizes the subject, I don't know if this was intentional. The only thing you may consider is cropping the top portion of the bridge since it pulls the attention away from the center.

I kind of like the faded color look in the plants and the whole picture. I also like how the moss and the rocks look. The only critique that I have is the subject doesn't appear ready, like the shot was taken a split second before she was ready.

I think this is a great presentation idea for jewelry, especially with the red stone. Maybe you could shoot a little bit closer and avoid the harsh flash.

This is a very interesting structure. I don't know much about architecture but maybe a shot more to the right would be more symmetrical? Very good shot.

When I decided on this weeks theme this is exactly what I had in mind. This is fantastic. The only suggestion that I have is going into photoshop and fixing some of the blemishes on the petals and increased the saturation. This is something that should be hanging on a wall.

This is another good example of the theme. The colors in the plants seem to contrast the age and wear of the house. Great work.

This was another great fit for the theme. I really liked the faint sepia look in place of the black and white. I also like the dramatic look of the vignetting around the edges and the shadows on the face. Well done.

This is another picture that works well with the theme. I agree that shooting wide angle would have been helpful, but the way it is works just fine. I think the image would be a little more dramatic if the motorcycle was the only thing in color, excluding the green grass in the background.

Not only does the color draw the viewers attention to the subject the darker background also helps. Upon closer review the background almost looks like a painting/watercolor, the bricks look very cool.

This is an interesting picture. It took me some time to figure out exactly what is going on. I like the mysterious feel to it, you wonder what is going on off the image. Perhaps if you showed more detail of the persons face it would add some support. On second thought not seeing the persons face adds to the mystery...

This is a gorgeous picture. I really like how the there is a hint of faded color in the background and when you get to the butterfly it is sharp and vibrant. Stunning.

I love aspens. I grew up in near the Rocky Mountains and this reminds me of home. This might look good in in solid black and white with a more contrast. I would suggest cropping out the dead tree on the right, I kept veering to the right when I looked at the picture.

I like the warn look of the substation and the contrast. The different color caps and the rusty cylinder in the foreground make the construction look primitive. Had you not said the image was from Tajikistan, I would have guessed it was taken in a very rural part of the US.

This is a good idea. The cleanliness of the vegetables make me kind of hungry! I think the cutting board or tray on the right is a little distracting and I think a higher resolution picture would make the picture more appealing. Good work with the coloring though.

I love the simplicity of this picture. The person wearing a heavy coat and the fog in the background makes the scene feel cold and quiet. The open space in the upper left corner would make this a perfect picture in an advertisement for an outdoors company. This is another picture that should be framed and displayed.

The darkness of the image fits the theme quite well. Having the floating heads in different sizes and different positions makes the picture look like something out of the twilight zone. Did you use a tripod and cut and paste the different images into a fixed image. Definitely and interesting picture.

Thank you for submitting your pictures this week. I really enjoyed seeing everyone's interpretation of the theme and also seeing some fantastic pictures. I don't have any formal training and I only do photography as a hobby on the side so my comments are simply my opinions and how I see things. Great job everyone.

Here are my choices:

Third Place: liljohnny51
    Second Place: Nuks
    Winner: JDDavis

15. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Congratulations JDDavis. Upon seeing your post and stunning photo, I knew the rest of us were doomed. :)

16. AxelMonkey macrumors regular

Somewhere between Heaven and Hell, Oregon
    Agreed.

17. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Thanks Juanbond for the nod and for the great job judging. I should have a new contest up sometime today. Stay tuned:)

18. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Congrats JD. I agree with Virtual and Axel. Stunning photo. Thanks Juanbond for a challenging subject and your C&C.

19. liljohnny51 macrumors regular