Weekly Photo Contest - Nov 27 - Dec 2 - 'Tis The Season

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JDDavis, Nov 27, 2010.

1. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Weekly Photo Contest - Nov 27 - Dec 2 - 'Tis The Season

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: 'Tis The Season

This is one of my favorite times of the year for several reasons. It's the high point of the college football season. It's the last few weeks of fall in the south (my favorite time) and the beginning of winter up north and in the mountains. In California I usually got my first turns on snow in about now. It's the season for visiting family and eating too much as well as giving and getting gifts. It's the beginning of a special time of year for several faiths and perhaps the "feats of strength" or "airing of grievances" if you enjoy Festivus. Regardless, for this weeks contest lets see pictures that invoke this meaningful time of the year for whatever it means to you. Family snapshots are great but I'll be looking for shots that tell a story, show me what you find meaningful or powerful about this time of year, or perhaps convey a lot emotion.

2. AxelMonkey macrumors regular

Somewhere between Heaven and Hell, Oregon
    n00bs?

this is the most recent contest, thank you!

3. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Two days and no responses. Where's the holiday spirit? I'll start.

A very happy holiday season to all.

Attached Files:

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I don't mean to offend anyone, but to me- He's the reason for the season.

[​IMG]

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

I'm having trouble focusing on the season right now. ;)

[​IMG]

6. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

No offense intended, no offense taken, and no apology necessary. Our images have to reflect what we hold important. Jeff challenged us to post images "that invoke this meaningful time of the year for whatever it means to you." That is what you did.

7. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Thank you. I just wanted to acknowledge that I respect others views of the holiday season.

8. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

9. liljohnny51 macrumors regular

10. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

11. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Here's my entry of my Dad enjoying his birthday!

It falls within the christmas period and it seems to have a festive feel to it! More of these parties to come!

[​IMG]

12. JDDavis thread starter macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I apologize. For some reason I had Dec 5 stuck in my head as the end of this contest. I'm at work and if I can't get the judging done in the next hour then I will get it posted tonight. Thanks for being patient:(

13. JDDavis thread starter macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Designer Dale – Interesting and works with the theme though in an abstract way. It’s incomplete for me in some sense though. Maybe it’s the crop and that there is nothing else to frame the light blobs in some context in the rest of the image. Also the lights seem to be on the same plane. I think it might be more interesting to me if they had a different perspective like if they traveled (and diminished) back into the photo. Good creative idea though.

Fcortese - Nicely done and conveys what is emotional and important to you. Though there is no bold color in the figurines I think you exposed very well for the color. I am no strobist at all and I’m not sure how you set up the light for this one but there is probably a method for bringing out even more detail in the figurines without getting the shiny parts. I think the backdrop isolating the figurines is interesting but I also think the manger scene are more parts of the nativity as background would be interesting as well.

Schtumple – Not much to say about this one. Very nicely done. I think it represents the season just fine and even the meeting of fall and winter which is where a lot of us are right now. I like the slightly desaturated feel the photo and the tone. Very nice.

Keleko – Nice and creative and it does of course match your feeling of lack of focus on the season well. I think you had a great idea here but if you hadn’t typed the tiny bit of info at the top I might have just seen it as a totally out of focus Christmas tree. For me it’s a bit like Dale’s photo. There’s nothing that really grounds it for me. Maybe the crop is too tight on the tree and there is no where really for my eye to settle. I really like the idea of a shot that says “having trouble focusing on the season”. I think it would need more in the photo to say it without your text. Something else (or someone) as a subject and then a seriously out of focus part as well. I’m not sure but I like where you are going with it.

Indydenny – Kids and Christmas are where it’s really at. That whole Christmas morning anticipation thing (as you captured here) makes for some wonderful shots. My only comments on your shot is that I think the boy could be a little more in focus and I’m guessing this was with the camera flash or with a camera mounted flash? I wish I was better at lightening. I struggle fiercely with indoor shots like these. The shot could use some more dynamic light.

liljohnny51 - Like the shot, like the idea, like the colors. I like that you didn’t orientate the image straight on. Having taken a shot just like this last year I know it’s actually not that easy to pull off. No flash and hand held like you did here. Well done.

Mtbdudex – I’ve always like the shots of your house. Makes me jealous and dislike our crappy townhouse inside the beltway here even more. Very warm and festive and makes me think of the “season” for sure. My only complaint (and it’s not a fair one) is that I’ve seen this shot several times on the forum (or at least some very similar).

Acearchie – Nice shot. Well exposed and great light. It absolutely has a party feel to it and expresses that both subjects are having a great time. The shirt is great. Wish the lady was a little more in focus because the subject feels like it’s both of them and not just your Dad. My only other comment would be that it’s a bit more of a candid snapshot but it’s still a great photo.

OK. I guess in a way I was saved by there not being too many photos in this contest and was able to sluff off work (tis the season) and get this up. Thanks to everyone that submitted. I always enjoy seeing shots that show up on this forum. It will probably be a bit thin for the next month of so on submissions but hopefully more folks will contribute to these contests. Anyway, without further ado….

Winner: Schtumple
    Runner up: liljohnny51

Great shot Schtumple, I really enjoyed it. It’s over to you to get the next contest going.

14. Keleko macrumors 68000

Thanks for the comments. "no where really for my eye to settle" kind of reinforces the "can't focus on the season" theme. :) But, I get what you are saying. I've seen other out of focus tree shots with something in focus in the foreground, and it really changes how you view it.

Nice job, guys!

15. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Congrats Schtumple and liljohnny51, thanks to JD and Season's Greetings to all!

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Wow thank you, honestly didn't think I'd win this, at first I didn't really see much significance in the shot, I just found it interesting that the leaf was pinned down, almost buried by the snow, but there is definitely a lot of meaning to it, guess I got lucky!

mtbdudex definitely got some lovely warm reds in their shot, I really like it.

Just posted up a new contest:
    Weekly Photo Contest - Dec 3 - Dec 10 - The Fibonacci Spiral

Look forward to your submissions!

17. liljohnny51 macrumors regular

Congrats to Schtumple I really loved your picture! As much as I love this time of the year, I found this pretty hard. :)