Weekly Photo Contest - Nov 8 - Nov 14 - Creative Solutions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by erickg, Nov 8, 2010.

1. erickg, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

erickg macrumors 6502

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Creative Solutions/Human Ingenuity

Last night the power cut out in our field office just as the sun was going down. Rather typically (for Afghanistan), we couldn't get either of our two backup generators working!

In order to get electricity for the night, our neighbor's guard drew a line from a plug in his house (their generator was working) and they plugged the wires into our power socket with matches to keep the wires in place! I was sure the guy would electrocute himself in the process (he didn't), but the solution was simple and it just worked. Almost no day goes by out here where I'm not taken aback by human inventiveness. It got me thinking... what other creative solutions do people use to solve everyday problems.

I've attached a (very poor) picture to show you their simple, yet ingenious, solution for inspiration (and possibly to show how crazy their solution really was!).

The title of this week's theme is "Creative Solutions/Human Ingenuity" and any interpretation of that theme goes. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

Attached Files:

2. EvilMatty macrumors newbie

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Probably not quite the creative solution but something us men have adapted to do over the years on long trips!

Attached Files:

4. Juanbond macrumors member

Juanbond

Creative Solutions/Human Ingenuity

I am going with Human Ingenuity on this one. Although, I am sure at one point a very long time ago bridges were thought of as "creative solutions."

[​IMG]

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The Chambers Creek Foundation and Pierce County Parks department turned a gravel pit into a public park and world class golf course - Chambers Bay - while retaining the areas history as an industrial site.

[​IMG]

Chambers Creek Foundation

Dale

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

A tribute to man's ingenuity-this is a photo of the oculus and dome of the Pantheon in Rome. It was built in 126AD. The dome is the worlds largest unreinforced concrete dome. the Romans after putting up all of the walls filled the building with sand and shaped the dome, then poured the concrete. After it was set, they slowly the room of all of the sand. Scientist are still trying to figure out the Roman's mixture formula for their concrete!

[​IMG]

7. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Dangerous..as well as creative.. Turkey 2008...
    and yes, we watched the man attach a huge banner by driving the truck back and forward to adjust the ladder's position...

Attached Files:

8. erickg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all of your contributions guys!

I'm in Tajikistan at the moment and will not be able to judge until Wednesday evening at the earliest (may be morning for those on the west coast, USA) and Thursday morning at the latest. If this is not soon enough, perhaps another impartial judge can step in. I have an idea of my preference, but don't think I'd be doing you justice judging from my iPhone.

9. erickg thread starter macrumors 6502

Great photo capturing true human ingenuity! Doesn't look completely sharp, although I know how difficult it can be to capture a fleeting moment like this. I've never been to China, but my father mentioned their building techniques using bamboo for scaffolding... the Chinese definitely "think different".

Hahaha... brilliant! I had to zoom in to see what was going on. Obviously, the photo was taken in quite a low-light environment leading to a lot of noise. Not quite sure what bars are to the right of our main subject... reflection perhaps?

Beautiful composition and amazing reflections in the water. The photo is a bit small to judge, but looks perfectly sharp as well. Bridges definitely fall both under "human ingenuity" and "creative solutions to everyday problems" in my book.

Great photo capturing the integration of the golf course with the old industrial site. I like the fact that there are so many people in the photo going about their golfing/jogging/etc. I think there is a bit too much sky in the photo (better would be about 1/3 sky and 2/3 golf course) and it would be nice to bring us a bit closer to the subject to see more detail.

The Pantheon is definitely one of the greatest tributes to human ingenuity. I like that this photo is completely zoomed in on the subject. However, I think you would need a tripod to get a sharper picture and to shoot at ISO 100 to remove the noise. Also, the sky is a bit blown out.

Wow! That's quite a feat and indeed very creative. The subject matter is excellent, but it's not that sharp and the high ISO level has again led to a bit too much noise for my taste.

And the winner is... Juanbond

10. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

great choice. Beautiful picture- congrats juanbond. BTW, the dome shot of the pantheon was taken with a P&S camera several years ago. Don't think I would have been allowed a tripod in there even if I had one and I appreciate the feedback.

11. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

This weeks topic was a tough one so I decided to dip into my more laid back pictures.

It wasn't in fact low light just incorrectly exposed. I was using a film camera and sort of guessed the exposure and got it for the sky!

The line of light is most probably a light leak although it could have something to do with my home development.

The noise is in fact grain (I much prefer calling it that!) and comes with rubbish (but cheap) Fujifilm!

Thanks for the feedback!

12. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Nice shot for the winner. Looking forward to a new Contest topic soon.

re: My Photo: I have been working to improve in-camera framing, so all my cropping has been proportional to the original. Here's a crop along the line of the suggested changes. I like the original better...Don't we all? The golf course is beyond the green of the park and the industrial structures. It's a Scottish links type course.

Dale

Attached Files:

13. Juanbond macrumors member

Juanbond

Photo Contest

Thank you for the comments. I will get something new going right away. Have a great weekend.