Weekly Photo Contest November 8 - 15

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nicolasdec, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
    (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

This week's topic: Cityscape

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

3. JAWJr macrumors member

Sydneyscape-

Attached Files:

4. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

5. Rich-212 macrumors member

Birmingham - UK

Snow Hill Plaza - click through for larger image

Attached Files:

6. Keleko macrumors 68000

I got this shot of Atlanta just tonight from the top of Stone Mountain during one of the best sunsets I have witnessed.

[​IMG]

7. hansolo669 macrumors regular

8. UltimaMC macrumors member

9. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

The contest is now closed, Winner will be announced as soon as I finish work.

10. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Results

Some truly amazing work here! Its been really hard picking a winner.

Master-D: Lovely Shot, its the city I see every day and it never ceases to amaze me how beautiful she is. I like that you essentially got all the important tourists attractions in london, Big Ben, Houses of parliament, Battersea Power station, London Eye, Etc... Where was this picture taken from? If I could have made one change I would have tried to get a bit more of london, maybe a small panorama?

Fcortese: A stunning classic, love the purple sky and the reflection it creates on the water. I would maybe have had a bit quicker exposure time to reduce some of the blur.. Was it tripod mounted?

AlexH: Great crisp image full of detail, some great colours and like Fcortese's image love that the sky is illuminated. Good use of the panorama format. On a side note, had a look at your Flickr and you have some truly spectacular pictures. Especially liked the ones of the Rehab centre.

Ravaroo: Great composition, Would have maybe have tried it in B&W as their are some really nice shades in the picture. The metallic structure gives it a really interesting perspective because it makes it look like your in a bubble staring into the city.

mackmgg: For a iPhone! Simply Amazing. Love they way it handled the exposure. Great outline of the city and the sky looks stunning. I also like the sun peaking in from the side.

JAWJr: Not bad, I like that the opera house is the centre of the pic, Good use of the rules of third. Maybe I would have included a bit more of the city.

fitshaced: Stunning, Not a lot more to be said than that.

stradale33: I like this interpretation of the contest topic. When we think of Cityscape i think most of us think of tall skyscrapers, This is the only picture where the buildings are relatively small (in comparison to some of the pictures posted here). I think the B&W compliment the older buildings very well. Great shot. How many pictures did you take to stitch it together?

Rich-212: I can see Birmingham already has their Christmas decorations up. Like London. The reflection on the glass is very nice.

Keleko: Wow! What a stunning sunset. The colours mixed with the clouds are truly superb. Really like the composition and I like how it goes from light (at the top) to dark. The buildings lighting also give it a nice touch.

hansolo669: Another stunning sunset! Like that its got life to it, the birds and the ducks in the pond... The cloud almost looks like its got some HDR effect applied to it. perfectly exposed with great vivid tones.

AppLCII: And another stunning sunset. Great composition, Great colours. Like the silhouette of the buildings with the Washington monument lit up.

oblomow: Jaw-dropping colours. Very simple and minimalistic. Good framing, would have been interesting if there was a nice sun set behind. But overall very nice.

UltimaMC: Nice light trails, I think there is a bit too much light flare (was it added later or did you use a filter??). It would have been nice if you managed to capture the ad without anything in front of it.

Results:

Forth: mackmgg
    Third: stradale33
    Second: Ravaroo
    First: fitshaced

11. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

fitshaced - good job - well done on the win.

On a side note - can we go back to putting the theme of the contest in the title. For some reason we stopped doing it a few weeks back.

PS Great judging Nicolasdec

12. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

13. stradale33, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

Thanks for judging Nicolasdec, 3rd place wow, thats the first time I've ever got a place in a photo contest! :D

Anyway, it was 4 shots stitched together.

Cheers
    Joel

14. JAWJr macrumors member

Congrats fitshaced- and thank you to Nicolasdec for the judging and comments.

15. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Cool, cheers Nicholasdec. Some really nice pictures this week.

I'll have a new thread up soon (with the topic in the title)

16. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

congrats ftishaced and all runners up. Nicholasdec, my entry was tripod mounted and long exposure to capture moving boat lights on the river. None were passing at the time of this shot, but you can see some car traffic lights on FDR Drive across the river. Nice job, appreciate the C&C.

17. hansolo669 macrumors regular

congrats to fitshaced for the win!
    only thing now is to step up my game for next time ;)