Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Welcome to this week's photo contest!

Theme: Harvest

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

In keeping with the season here in the northern hemisphere, I chose "Harvest" as the theme. Harvesting means gathering, hunting, trapping or fishing in relation to plants, trees or wildlife, etc. It can involve gathering or cutting. But it also can refer to harvesting energy, resources, etc. So I hope this can be expanded to both sides of the equator and not just the autumnal season where I reside.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Harvest

bjm5363.jpg

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
The contest will close in about 5 hours. I will be traveling during the day tomorrow so I'll try to post the winners by tonight. If not, then certainly by tomorrow evening.:)

----------

First time posting, hopefully I did this correctly.

Your picture didn't post. Try re-posting and attaching the photo using the paper clip icon (attachments).

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Thanks to all who submitted photos for the contest. It was very difficult to try to select only the top 3. I struggled with 3 or 4 for the number 3 position. I tried to give everyone some input from my perspective after really trying to examine the picture from various objectives. I imagined that I took the photo myself and, being the hyper-critical creatures that we photographer's are, began to think about ways I could have tried to make the picture even better. So with that in mind, here goes:

ijohn Your picture got me reading about wicking bed gardens and how they are set up. Your main plant drew my eye immediately by it’s position in the composition. It would have been nice to have some contrasting colors, but hey, it’s a wicking garden. Not sure how to improve the picture. Maybe shot from a lower perspective?

Barryj My eyes immediately went to the fishnet full of fish then the trail of washed up fish along the waterline. This got my eyes to follow them off to the distant shoreline. You might try cropping the picture and removing the two white buckets on the right side of the photo. This would move the fisherman more towards the lower right intersection lines of the rule of thirds and draw more attention to him.

Zaphotheprez I just love this picture. I love the colors of the tomatoes and the leading lines of the composition drawing your eyes up to the basket. Only then did my eyes wander and discover the slightly out of focus female shopper and finally the nice touch of the hand reaching into the scene to grab a tomato from the lower left side of the frame. Nicely done.

milbournopshere I liked the way you created the diagonal lines by the layout of the boxes by the positioning your camera. It creates a flow to the composition. That coupled with the variety of berries contained within the boxes adds color and texture to the picture and makes for an interesting picture out of something so simple as a fruit stand.

keleko A great example here of both DOF and leading lines, with the two hands reaching in from opposite ends of the top of the frame, just driving your eyes towards the lower right intersection in the rule of thirds (sorry, I’ll try not to get too hung up on that rule). Really nice composition and zoning in on the main “subject” with a really narrow DOF. 70-200 f/2.8 IS (not the IS II) at 140mm makes for a great shot. Handheld at 1/30s???

GT41 A really nice capture of a beautiful rainbow against a dark sky. And a nice interpretation of the theme. Maybe next time (ha, like we get moments like this one often) maybe take a step or two to the left or angle your camera more towards the left so that the bottom of the rainbow falls more closely towards the right hand side of the composition. That way we get to see more of that beautiful rainbow and it would dominate the scene even more (my opinion).

cambookpro Very nice capture of the birds (? crows) over what looks like a recently harvested field. It took me a while to notice the car with the 3 people in it . There is a nice layering effect to the composition.

genshi I like the B&W treatment to this cornucopia-like presentation. Some of the basket contents are cut off on the left-hand side of the picture. I would have liked to see them in the photo, but overall an appealing composition.

Chesse&Apple I love the colors in this picture. The blue-purple of the grapes offset by the green bokeh. I also like the composition with the positioning of the grapes in the frame. Nicely done.

Ipos This is a very simple yet effective photo with the backlit presentation of the shoots of grass (wheat maybe ?). I like how the sun does not over power the photo.

NeGrit0 The layering combined with the DOF in the middle third of the frame is very well done. I love the coloring in this photo.

fireman32 I like your interpretation of the theme. Indeed, busy little bees do a whole lot of harvesting. Honey goes so well with so many things! I like your close up here. You can see the bee’s proboscis (“tongue”) in position to “harvest” the nectar of the flower. In an ideal world the bottom petal would not be cut off, but then you may not have been able to capture this shot at all or be as close. The tail end of the bee is a little out of focus, but with this shallow DOF and a relatively short window of opportunity, short of focus stacking, I don’t know if that could have been overcome.

h1r0ll3r Nice capture of the butterfly on the purple flowers. I’d think maybe cropping down on the butterfly more would highlight it better and make it stand out more. It seems to be lost in a sea of purple flowers.

Dhelsdon Minimalistic picture with an orange against a white background. The color contrast draws your eye straight to the subject. I am assuming that the slight amount of darkening to the corners is a deliberate treatment and to me acts like a frame or a vignette-like effect.

The results:

3rd place: fireman32
2nd place: keleko
1st place: zaphodtheprez

Congrats to all! Z, you're up!

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Thanks fcortese for the great judging. I am quite happy to take third place on this one. Congrats to Zaphotheprez on the excellent picture and well deserved of the win.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Well done all and congrats zaphodtheprez. Great job judging fcortese...thank you. I really liked the "Harvest" theme and all that came to my mind with this subject.

Cheers! :)

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Indeed, thanks for doing a good job with the judging. Congrats to zaphodtheprez!

Yes, my shot was handheld at 1/30s (and I wish I could afford the IS II...). Lighting at church is pretty poor, so I have to rely on that IS fairly often.

zaphodtheprez

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2005
Toronto
Thanks

This was a group of great shots and I loved the harvest theme. I tend to love each season for specific reasons and the last two themes are the top reasons I love autumn.

I'll have the next contest up in a few minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.