Weekly Photo Contest - Oct 30 - Nov 7 - Decisive Moment

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MSUSpartan, Oct 30, 2010.

1. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Decisive Moment

Continuing last week's theme, and going with what I know, this week's theme is what Henri Cartier-Bresson called the decisive moment. To paraphrase, there is nothing in the world that doesn't have a decisive moment. It could be two strangers making eye contact passing each other by, or your mom and dad watching television in perfect contentment on the couch, or it could be your dog jumping for excitement when you return home from work. However, once you miss that moment, it is gone forever.

I'm very excited to see what you guys come up with. Note that this doesn't have to be street photography, perfect little moments are everywhere for the photographer to capture all the time. So bring your camera with you, and snap away!

2. erickg macrumors 6502

3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Sorry for another bullfight scene, but I just thought it fits the theme well :D
    [​IMG]

4. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Shooting fellow photographers when something catches their eyes...

Attached Files:

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Not as artistic or dramatic as some already posted, but this shot taken from this past weekend's Montana High School Soccer Championships:

[​IMG]

7. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

This little guy got stuck in a critter proof cage this past spring....he can't read the manual :rolleyes:
    That old tune by "The Clash" went thru my mind as I freed him....
    [​IMG]

8. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

I apparently don't know how to count and put an extra day in the title. Note that the contest will end tomorrow Nov 6 at 9:55am EST. Please get your entries in, I hope to see more before morning tomorrow!

Thanks everyone!

9. CK Williams macrumors regular

10. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats all folks... Thanks everyone for participating. Out shooting now, will have results and judging in tonight... Thanks for being patient!!

11. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

erickg:
    [​IMG]

I really love the tones in this shot. You've got excellent post processing skills, and very tastefully done. The kicked up dirt, the anticipation of the man reaching for the ball (though out of frame we know exactly where it is with 3 pairs of eyes looking at it), and the back peddling body of the girl in the gray dress spells one decisive moment. Nice work! Only criticism is that the shot might be cropped a bit much.

Patriks7:
    [​IMG]

Nice saturation here, the colors really pop. The blood coming out of the bull is gruesome but realistic, and brings an emotive nature to the photo. As for the decisive moment, I think that while the matador is doing something here, the bull is stationary. A better example would be something along this line: Bullfighting

genshi:
    [​IMG]

One of the only non-sport shots and I applaud you for that. There's certainly something interesting happening off the frame here and the mystery leaves the viewer engaged. A great effort! For street I suggest shooting a shorter prime and getting closer to the subject to bring us in the middle of it.

firestarter:
    [​IMG]

She is absolutely gorgeous and you certainly captured her beauty and grace in this frame. However, as a posed shot I don't see a decisive moment here... but it is truly a beautiful photograph.

fcortese:
    [​IMG]

Sports shots are tough unless you have a telephoto lens so you can capture the expressions on the athletes' faces. The best part of this photo from me is the parent videotaping/photographing from behind the goal. I have a feeling that he might have a better shot here for this particular moment, but a better decisive moment might be the proud expression of the scorer's face after the goal.

mtbdudex:
    [​IMG]

It's hard to make out the details on this shot, I'd go for a lower angle and closer to the critter.

acearchie:
    [​IMG]

A well taken action shot. You've really captured the focus and passion on his face. The black on the left third of the image is a bit distracting however. I don't see anything else happening so it's hard to call this a decisive moment. Perhaps seeing him neck to neck with his competitor, along with this expression would better suit the theme. Technically well taken though, I like the exposure and the shutter speed to capture the water in motion.

digitalfrog:
    [​IMG]

Gritty processing, I really feel the pain he is going through and it is an emotive shot. We want to root for her here. Well timed on the ball hitting the racket, good shot.

JDDavis:
    [​IMG]

Awesome shot. Love the perspective here and your use of DOF. It is important here because you captured the joy in the child, you know exactly what she's jumping into, and the concerned mom in the back. Really a good shot. Only thing that can enhance it is maybe some post processing to take the snapshot feel out of it.

CK Williams:
    [​IMG]

I have never seen a flight show but know someone who went to one who wouldn't stop talking about it for a month. I'm pretty sure it is very awesome to be there in person, but I don't feel it in this frame. It is not my expertise here with non-human subjects but I don't feel the motion here. Do you have any shots with a slower shutter speed to capture some motion blur? This is a very tough shot to get though as they pass each other so fast, so great job!

tekmoe:
    [​IMG]

Wonderful composition, I love the diagonal line formed by the participants on both ends and the line of balls in the middle. I feel that this is a strong twilight shot, but it is just a couple seconds before the decisive moment. Perhaps a clash between the competitors would be more decisive.

luminosity:
    [​IMG]
    I like the human emotion captured in this shot. Obviously a couple in love and the crowd looking on in adoration. It's a good moment. Technically the strong backlight and flares are a bit distracting and the emotion so strong between the couple is almost lost. The noise is also too high. You probably did the best you could without a lens that has a wider aperture.

I want to thank everyone for participating. It was a pleasure to have had the chance to judge and offer my thoughts for each photo.

This week's winner is: erickg!

Congratulations!

12. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Congrats erickg! And thanks MSUSpartan for your comments and perspective.

13. erickg macrumors 6502

Wow! Thanks MSUSpartan! What a great surprise! :) I just got back from a 6 hour drive from Baghlan (north of Kabul) to Kabul. I would've responded sooner, but was without internet for the past two days.

I'm dead tired, but I'll try to post a new competition in the next few hours or by tomorrow at the latest.

14. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Thanks for the comment! I was hoping to catch something similar as in the photo you posted, but I think I just wasn't lucky enough :p hopefully next time.

Congratulations to the winner, and now onto the next contest!