Weekly Photo Contest - Oct 8 - Oct 15 (Theme: Fall Colors)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fireman32, Oct 8, 2012.

1. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

Welcome to this week's photo contest!

Theme: Fall Colors

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Since this is my favorite season and the leaves are changing colors lets see your best pics for Fall Colors

2. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

[​IMG]

Canon 40D, EF 24-70 f/2.8 L, ISO 200, manual exposure, f/2.8, 1/2000. Aperture.

3. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

[​IMG]

Canon AE-1 Program, 28mm lens, Velvia 50 slide film. Dug the old film body out of the closet for a hike this weekend. :)

4. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Where I live (Adelaide, South Australia) the climate is too dry and hot for Fall colour trees, except in the hills areas, and we're currently in Spring. So here's my token entry, taken last week.

[​IMG]

West Terrace Cemetery 12 by iJohn.8.80 on Flickr

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Took this shot this past weekend and posted on POD. Forgive the double posting.

[​IMG]

6. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Fall is the time for gathering berries here.

Attached Files:

7. Bartlindon macrumors newbie

Bartlindon

8. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Fall Colors in Ohio! 60D, ISO 400, f5.6, 1/250 at 70mm with 70-200 2.8 II.

Attached Files:

9. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

10. GT41 macrumors regular

Not quite peak in the parks of Toronto. :mad:

Attached Files:

11. zaphodtheprez, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

zaphodtheprez macrumors member

zaphodtheprez

12. fireman32 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Last chance for entries. Contest closes at noon.

13. Cindy24 macrumors newbie

I have no idea how to submit a photo

Hello,
    I have a photo that I would like to enter but I have no idea how to submit it.
    Please advise.
    Thank you,
    Cindy

14. fireman32 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cindy you can just attach a photo by clicking on the paperclip when you are typing a reply and just browse to the photo. I will hold off on judging for a bit longer.

15. fireman32 thread starter macrumors 6502a

First let me say that I really enjoyed everyone's entries and it is hard to choose a winner. Also please go easy on me as this is my first time judging so here it goes.

AxisOfBeagles- Great shot the colors are really popping out and I love the red house in the background.

Keleko- Beautiful! I always enjoy looking at your pictures and this is just superb. Were you standing on top of the mountain taking this?

milbournosphere- Great shot. A very interesting angle and the curve of the tree leads your eye all the way through the picture. Nicely done.

AlexH- Wonderful shot. I really like this one.

ijohn.8.80- Too bad you do not get the fall colors but this does fit nicely into the theme.

fcortese- Beautiful shot. Very well done.

Elbert C- Nice shot but it was a little to distracting for me. I still like it though.

Bartlindon- I love this picture very nicely done. Can you tell me how you shot and processed this?

100Teraflops- I love all the different colors in this one.

Cheese&Apple- Nice macro shot. That was going to be my 2nd choice of a theme if I did not go with fall colors. Very well done.

someoldguy- Nice shot but I feel its missing something. Maybe if it was shot at a different angle.

GT41- I like this shot great color but the bridge in the background is a little distracting.

mikeschmeee- Beautiful shot. Another great closeup shot. I love the water droplets on the leaves.

zaphodtheprez- Nice shot I just get distracted by the 2 people sitting on the bench in the right of the picture. Maybe if you cropped in just a bit on that shot it would make it much better

Again thanks for all the entries and I hope you all like my critiques. This not not something that I am very good at but I gave it my best shot. Here are the winners.

3rd place- mikeschmeee
    2nd place - Keleko
    1st place - fcortese

Congrats fcortese I look forward to your theme for the next contest.

16. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

applause to everyone, and congrats to fcortese on a well-deserved recognition.

Mikeschmeee - I love that photo; the simplicity, great clarity, and lovely color. It was hard not commenting during the "contest".

17. fcortese, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I've never won one of these challenges/contests and based upon the talent of those who frequent this site, I am humbled. There were many great entries. To my co-winners: mikeschmee, I love the water droplets and colors of your macro shot; and Keleko, I love the layering of colors in your photo.

Fireman, thanks for hosting and judging this contest.

I'll get something up on the site by tonight after I get off from work.

18. Keleko macrumors 68000

It was a well deserved win. I loved your shot when I saw it in the POTD, and I fully expected it to at least place in this contest.

As for my shot, yes, I was on top of Stone Mountain looking out at the fall colors when I took that shot. It was from last year since the color isn't out in Atlanta yet this year. I'd known for months I wanted to get a shot of that church with the fall colors around it, and I was really happy to get it.

19. someoldguy macrumors 68000

Fcortese ... Congrats ,Nice job !!!Your Fall colors must have peaked real early. Over here near NYC , maybe we'll get peak color this week , but I don't think the colors will approach those in your pic.

20. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Congrats! I did my best, but down here in SoCal we just don't really get much in the way of fall colors.

21. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Fcortese you got an amazing shot there, congratulations! Well done to all else who entered.

Milbournosphere your tree shows me where not to build a house! When I was working as a Feng Shui consultant, I had the great fortune some years ago to be shown how to read trees for signals by some Australian Aboriginals. Trees that exhibit this corkscrew pattern to the trunk are an indicator of quite noxious earth energies. If houses are built there, they become cancer causing houses for the occupants, and I got to see a few of these over my years of consulting.