Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lharvest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

This week's topic (in preparation for Halloween): eerie or uncanny

Don't let the Halloween reference restrict your imagination.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
You have to work at it a little bit, but there is an otherworldly entity somewhere in this photograph. Try to find it and at the end of the contest, tell me what you think it is!

Moon Bridge by DigitAl3x, on Flickr

Oberhammer

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
ScaryBridge_03.jpg

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
My definition of uncanny. Old town, Bratislava Slovak Republic.

Attachments

• OddBratislava.jpg
    OddBratislava.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 151

lharvest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Contest Closed

Contest is officially closed. I'll post back soon. Thanks to all who entered.

lharvest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
And the winner is...

Alexh – Great contrast, great composition, great use of the rule of thirds, nice use of vignetting – and above all else, it fits the theme perfectly. The location appears desolate and your treatment only adds to that sense. The eye is drawn to the bottom left hand corner of the picture, where what appears to be a small child dresses in a white robe. But, one can’t quite make out what the object actually is. ‘Errie’ doesn’t begin to describe this picture.

Melizard – I like the way you capture the light without letting it overwhelm the picture. The fence and other objects in the foreground create a great sense of separation between the viewer and the light. The fog or haze contributes to this sense, leaving me with an overwhelming feeling of isolation. Nice work.

Oberhammer – The first few times I looked at this photo I didn’t notice the ‘Scream’ character on the back wall of the building. It is subtle enough to be overlooked. The vignette effect adds a nice touch and the blurred foreground pushes the eyes toward the wooden structure (a bridge?). It’s almost devoid of color, yet vivid at the same time. I certainly would not be crossing this bridge if I came upon it in the woods.

Damiantmc – The expression on the cat’s face encapsulates the contempt I think almost every cat has for mankind – nice job there. However; the rest of the body seems a bit awkward in its positioning. It also looks a little blown out on the right side of the cat. Perhaps if the cat were in a less vulnerable position, the photo would have more tension and work within the theme better.

macAllen – Can’t help but think of the movie ‘Big’ when I see this. That being said, it is a great ‘portrait’ of a rather mysterious person in what appears to be deep contemplation. It is unfortunately that there is some glare right near the nose of Zoltar. It truly is uncanny how lifelike this looks. Great subject and capture.

SonicChronicler - The old hooded figure in the woods picture – nicely done. The gnarly trees and twigs that surround the figure make a great backdrop. The graininess and slightly out of focus treatment add to the eeriness. It certainly makes for great lead in to Halloween.

Keleko – Nicely done! I can picture myself walking up to this house as a kid during trick or treat. Chances are, there was someone or something waiting on the porch to scare the crap out of me. In any event, nice depth of focus between the pumpkin in the foreground and the one behind it. The added grain and vignette make it more menacing, but I can’t help but smile every time I look at the first pumpkin.

Deep Diver – The treatment certainly makes it more ‘eerie.’ but the subject is a bit lacking for me. I spent a long time trying to see the ‘forest through the trees,’ but it didn’t happen. The treatment fit the theme, but the subject was lacking.

Chappers – The forming storm clouds create a tension that works well here. I get the sense I’m deep in the forest without much of a chance to get out before the storm breaks and the sun sets. Well done.
MACUSER360 – What can be more eerie than the ‘Eerie Acres Cemetery?’ Perhaps a cemetery with a blurry, mysterious figure in the background. Nice treatment of the photo to try and make the sign appear more authentic. It may have been more effective if the figure in the background was more subtle or obscured by the trees – or maybe reflected in the window of the building at the rear of the photo.

JAWJr – Great find! I agree – it is very uncanny. With regard to the photo, I’m struggling a bit. I can’t put my finger on anything technically wrong, but I’m also not drawn to the photo much beyond its unusual subject. I think the perspective you chose was appropriate, it’s evenly lit, and there is nice contrast. Maybe the subject is so different from the others that it is influencing my judgment.

Thanks to all who entered. It’s never easy to open yourself up to review by others, especially with something as personal as photography. The impressions above are those of someone who is far from a professional. I tried to relay the feelings I had while viewing the photo and, when noticed, provided some the technical details I believe influenced those feeling. It was a great group of photos, but someone must be declared the winner:

Third Place – Oberhammer

Second Place – Keleko

First Place – AlexH

Good luck with next week’s contest!

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Thank you, lharvest! This is my first time in first place in these weekly contests! There were some really good photographs posted.

New thread coming soon.

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
JAWJr – Great find! I agree – it is very uncanny. With regard to the photo, I’m struggling a bit. I can’t put my finger on anything technically wrong, but I’m also not drawn to the photo much beyond its unusual subject. I think the perspective you chose was appropriate, it’s evenly lit, and there is nice contrast. Maybe the subject is so different from the others that it is influencing my judgment.

Thank you for the comment, lharvest. I agree my subject was very different than others posted this week. Like every week, my photos have been natural and unedited. I try to capture the moment in the lens. This one I shot while walking the streets of Bratislava with my point-and-shoot Cannon. I had heard there were bronze sculptures hiding around the city in odd places. So there you go. I may need to work on the impact of my shots.

I enjoy following this forum and the talent within- You are all an inspiration to me.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Nice job, everyone! And a tip of the hat to the judge for a job well done.

For anyone that cares, my pumpkins picture was shot and edited with Camera+ on my iPhone 4. I used Pinhole and Redscale FX for the look.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
AlexH - Good job - well done.

Great judging - mine was a city shot on my mountain where the cloud effects and weather can be very very strange.

candyshell

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
uk
well done alex

cant make out the bright light ghostly figure, but i can see a little white heart under the bridge right of the picture :)

----------

Nice job, everyone! And a tip of the hat to the judge for a job well done.

For anyone that cares, my pumpkins picture was shot and edited with Camera+ on my iPhone 4. I used Pinhole and Redscale FX for the look.

:) its good keleko

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
You know the crazy part? I never saw the heart until just now! All I've seen is the ghostly image of what I always thought was a woman wearing a cloak... Nice find!

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
You know the crazy part? I never saw the heart until just now! All I've seen is the ghostly image of what I always thought was a woman wearing a cloak... Nice find!

Is that just the reflection in the water? If so, it's incredible that it looks so much like a person

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.