Weekly Photo Contest October 19-26

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AlexH, Oct 18, 2011.

1. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
    (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

This week's topic: The city is alive.

I look forward to your interpretation!

2. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Times Square, during last Saturday's protest. A bit obvious, but hey.

3. JAWJr macrumors member

Minuit à Paris-

Attached Files:

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

[​IMG]

Times Square cabs still "alive" and running despite Hurricane Irene.

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Taken at 39,000 feet....

Attached Files:

6. epb87 macrumors member

Some cities are bright and full of movement, and others you can barely tell are alive at night.

[​IMG]
    Whitehall, MI Dusk by epb87, on Flickr

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

8. mhami macrumors newbie

Grand Central

Taken on a recent trip to NYC

Attached Files:

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Technically not the best shot, but I quite like it. Taken while I was on holiday.

[​IMG]

10. UltimaMC macrumors member

11. AlexH thread starter macrumors 68000

AlexH

Just a reminder, the contest will be closed tonight. I will have a late night, but I will do my best to fulfill my judging duties tonight! So far there have been some great images!

12. AlexH thread starter macrumors 68000

AlexH

There were some really good shots in this week's contest. Well done! I'll jump right into the judging:

El Cabong - I love the setting, the shot, the action, the activity, and the definite feel of the city being "alive." I think you captured a great photograph here, and it tells a story. Well done.

JAWJr - It feels like the city is a living organism in this shot. The streets teaming with life, the moon above, the glow of light. Very nice.

fitshaced - Very creative shot, and at the same time one that I keep gazing at. It's interesting and optically challenging for me to look at it. But I can't stop looking! I like your creativity.

fcortese - Great shot. The feel of the motion blur screams that this is a city moving at a face pace. I like the color flooding in, the subject being the cabs, very nice shot, especially for this contest.

baypharm - I guess the city is down there somewhere?

epb87 - This shot is sort of the opposite of fcortese's shot. His felt almost frantic in the movement of the subject, but your's feels very laid back, and serene. Almost like an alternative to his shot. Instead of living in a hurry, you slowed it down a bit. I like it.

Keleko - I like the shot. Good composition. It feels like there a hustle and bustle to this town. Good shot.

Nicolasdec - Beautiful shot! What's left to say?

mhami - This one is a classic. It's interesting how the people feel almost like ghosts or shadows in this picture. I like it.

cambookpro - Interesting shot. Where was this shot taken? It feels like a very down to earth place.

UltimaMC - I was wondering when a solid black and white photograph would enter the contest. Well done. I like the contrast. I've been on a street photography and a black and white kick lately, so I appreciate this shot.

ipos - This shot feels like it's teeming with life. I love it. Not only does it capture the essence of the theme, but it's also a visually striking photograph. I love it. Well done.

So, without further delay, here are the first, second, and third place entries:

Third place: Nicolasdec
    Second place: El Cabong
    First place: ipos

Congrats guys. Really great shots. Alright ipos, you're up!

13. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Well done ipos, a worthy winner.

Cheers AlexH for the judging.

14. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Congrats ipos and everyone who participated. Nice job judging AlexH. Thanks for the comments. Ipos, your up!

15. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Congratulations ipos nice shot.

Great judging from AlexH.

16. ipos macrumors 6502a

17. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Thanks, AlexH.

Nice shot, ipos.

Nice submissions from everyone.