Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Expression(s)

I love taking pictures of people and whilst there have been a couple of competitions to do with people or portraits I would like one on expressions. I'm looking for maybe something a little whacky or out of the norm. A fun time with friends, good synergy between model and photographer or just a photo showing someone's feeling!

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
OK, I'll be the first for this very challenging challenge. I just love this picture of my grandson:

img6700.jpg

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
A quick snapshot of my Daughter in thoughtful mood

Attachments

• Thinking.jpg
    Thinking.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 159

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I'll be closing the contest this evening, so get your last minute entries in!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Right that’s it! Give me some time and I’ll be back with the results!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Thank you very much for all the entries. I have really enjoyed seeing these all come in. If your interested I’m an 18 year old from the UK with a keen interest in photography. Whilst I’m no pro I hope you can take something from my comments!

Thanks

OK, I'll be the first for this very challenging challenge. I just love this picture of my grandson:

img6700.jpg

Lovely shot showing the curiosity of the boy. Pity that the mirror isn’t clean. You could say that this adds to the natural feeling of the photo but it can also be seen as being a little distracting. I realise that it wasn’t a set up but the slight cloudiness and lack of sharpness of the face is slightly distracting. Apart from that great shot to “capture the moment"

Great, great, great shot. I love the colours, backlight and expression. Framing is great leaving the top 1/3 for space really allows you to focus in on the character. I would love to know the EXIF details as the shot is clear and without noise but I get the impression that there wasn’t that much light available. The red/pink backlight with the yellow for the mid body is great as well!

A uniquely candid photo! However, I would say that the highlights are slightly blown out. As I have said before with this topic it is more of a shoot and hope than set up photo but I feel that too much detail is lost in the forehead and left side of the face. The framing is nice though! The dark background also provides a nice contrast to the bright pink top. I am not sure of the shutter speed but I feel like the photo is slightly blurry/unsharp. Great expression though!

The pain and determination is rea...118/4953761534_a0d469555e_b.jpg[/img][/quote]

All the colours complement each other. The blues, blacks, greys, whites and sort of browns! She looks very connected with the music as though she is feeling it. Was she singing original tracks or covers? She is a really good find as most other users have taken pictures of close friends or families (I think!). Are there any other pictures in this set as I’m wondering if the shape of her hand was a bit different I would prefer the photo more!

Interesting take and brilliant sky! Because of the composition I am drawn to you as the photographer before the other persons reflection. It’s only because it looks like they are looking at you in the ball! There might have been a different angle which would have more light on the reflected face without getting the suns reflection. Did you try any other angles? Nice shot and colours, looked like a good day for shooting.

IMG_0976.jpg

The look of consternation.

I am curious as to what caused the fear although to me it also looks a little like the start of a strop! I’m surprised that the camera was not intimidating at that distance and the shot is still completely natural. The exposure is nice on the face although the background maybe a little busy. In some pictures the hand near the mouth can be distracting but in this it just adds to the uncomfortableness which is great!

From my old school...New Delhi, India
5119938284_30aa481ab3_b.jpg

Nice to go back to your old school. This reminds me of a typical journalistic style of shooting without posing. Why did you feel that it needed to be B&W? I don’t know what it is but the faces look quite smooth to me, it maybe the way the skin tones have been converted to B&W or something else. I like the weighted vignette though that guides you towards the main content.

Love the sharpness of this picture and the contrast on the face. I assume it’s digital and therefore it is a really good B&W convert! Pity that the right hand side is completely blown out. The hair covering the right eye is also distracting but apart from that a loverly shot. A nice setting for portraits too.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
My son while visiting an apple orchard in Blue Ridge, GA.
5065719433_2a78838db1_b.jpg

Nice to show the craziness of kids. The first thing that jumps out at me is the horizon line. It’s quite a bit so it may mean that the crop is too severe. The car isn’t quite central in the frame as well. Great expression though and the low down shot really feels like the car is moving!

Really great shot. The B&W "just works" as well. Although my eyes are pulled towards the old guy first you can see the slight annoyance in the face of the woman too! The cause of the fingers in the ear is also evident in the background. It’s really nice to see that although there are plenty of people in the shot none of them are looking at the camera making it look like your invisible.

Natural Beauty

Nice shot and an interesting take on the theme. However, being inanimate objects I cannot really connect with the visuals as there is no real life emotion. The square format is interesting as it is used less and less yet it frames the image nicely. I would have used something smaller for the nose :D

and after dad rakes em the kids get to....
IMG_5513%20-%20Version%202.jpg

Great kids. I can remember being this age and used to love playing in the garden getting my clothes as messy as I could! Possibly intended but the height order from low to high really works as well. The leaves provide a nice foreground image and the trees a background. The hair really suits the autumnal feel too! My only nag would be sharpness would could be a little improved but apart from that I see this as the definition of fun!

Right that’s me done! Please take every comment with a pinch of salt and excuse any grammatical or spelling errors! It’s been much harder and longer than I thought it would be.

I have several favourites so whilst there is an overall winner I have split 2nd & 3rd place into two categories (Adults & Kids) so I could cram more winners in!

3rd Place: (Kids) paulg (Adults) Patriks7

2nd Place: (Kids) mtbdudex (Adults) DAM-Photography

1st Place: MSUSpartan

5088000698_6e8c619f6a_b.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.