Weekly Photo Contest (Sep 14th - Sept 21th): Railway / Railroad

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by freigeist, Sep 15, 2010.

1. freigeist macrumors newbie

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

Steam engines, modern engines, railroad warehouses, -bridges or just tracks and signs. Every photo is welcome if it has something to do with this weeks theme:

Railroad / Railway

I'm looking forward to see all of your great photos. Have fun!

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Here's a picture I just took while on vacation in northern Oregon. I was attracted by the rusted out frame of the locomotive which appeared to be pushing the train in front of it.

[​IMG]

3. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

4. otter macrumors 6502

5. Shymcfly macrumors member

First contribution here. Sorry about being sideways using my iPad and photo bucket uses flash so I can't rotate. This is a shoot I did for a local sax player.[​IMG]

6. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Sonora, Mexico
    Clicked this with Sony Cybershot DSC-S500 in 2008, when I was only 15 :)
    [​IMG]

8. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

9. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

10. klm0929 macrumors newbie

mini vs. the train

Attached Files:

11. paulg macrumors member

London to 'Code breaking' Bletchley

the wife...

Attached Files:

12. CK Williams macrumors regular

13. freigeist thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, thank you to everyone for contributing to this contest. I can assure you that this was a tough choice for me. Secondly please excuse any grammar or spelling mistakes, I'm no native speaker.

I will start with a few words to each of the pictures:

fcortese: This is really an interesting locomotive with its bellied smoke pipe. Never seen something like this before. There are two things that annoy me, first the little part of the orange locomotive to the right, second I believe that this picture would make more impact if you would choose b&w. Interesting and well made photo anyway. Maybe if you had changed the angle a bit, the clouds would look like steam out of the pipe…that would have been nice.

koobcamuk: Interesting perspective, nice toning and really good sharpness. Well captured emptiness. Minor thing that annoys me is the almost bright sky and the over-exposure near the trees. Good photo.

rkmac: This could have been a really interesting photo, but what I'am personally interested in when looking at this picture are the people standing and walking on the platform but they are to small or cropped (e.g. the person on the right). My eyes keep wandering around without finding anything to focus on.

mtbdudex: This is a classic motive, an endless track framed by trees. This photo would be nothing special if the boy would not be standing there and looking into the distance. His bearing looks cautious maybe a bit awestruck and reluctant. Unfortunately the picture looks a little bit over-exposed.

otter: Well this is a technical perfect one. Great colors, incredible sharpness, nice lightning and motive, interesting perspective. But it looks a bit too aseptic, too clean and artificial for me.

oblomow: The most interesting part of this picture is the black old bridge which leads over a long river or sea with beautiful water. I really like this picture with its natural colors, unfortunately in this low resolution the pillars quickly become undistinguishable and blur into a black area. I'm pretty sure, that this picture would be even more impressive if it would just focus on the lower right quarter. However we would loose the great landscape in the back.

Shymcfly: This is technically good photo, maybe a little over-exposure at the back of the chemise. Nice field of depth. Unfortunately (for this contest) this photo focuses on the sax player and not the train in the back. I'm wondering what the arc above the train is…is it a watermark?

rusty2192: A classic motive, a little overexposure near the bush to the left. I'm wanting to see a bit more above. Little suspense created.

pukifloyd: This a crazy motive, I'm wondering about the blue/purple colors around the track. I'm missing a bit suspense and I think the vignette effect is to strong.

jdavtz: Beautiful b&w shot of a train station with a complex track structure. I really like the lightning on the polished part of the tracks. There is a freight train and two twin locomotives on the right which show some life on the otherwise slack scene.

sleepypanda: This is a interesting shot, great motion blur, very nice colors and lightning, the skyline in the back and the luminous advertising add some suspense. At first I thought that the horizon should be straightened but now Im pretty sure that the picture would loose some of its speed and freshness.

jambobowron: The most interesting part of this picture is on the left, the men who is reading a newspaper or map and the men sitting on the track. Therefore I would have focused more on the left part of the picture, maybe with the water-pump as a kind of right border. Nice picture anyway only vignetting is to much in my opinion.

kim0929: I really like the wagon with its graffiti and the details of the ground. Nice color contrast with the red car, the graffiti and the almost b&w of the rest. Technically I don't like that border (too much shadows and different colors in my opinion) and I think that the upper part of the picture around the wires is over-sharped and has too much contrast, therefore some of the wires are only dotted lines. Crop the sky part up to the top of the wagon and replace the rest with a solid white. Otherwise very interesting concept!

paulg: This picture focuses on the women sitting in a train and looking outside the window. She seems to be absent and thinking about something. She looks contemplative and self-absorbed. I like this picture, it's interesting, concrete and plain.

CK Williams: The abandoned bridge coming from far away leading into nothing creates suspense, the great landscape to the left and right work as a nice frame. Technically well made, great contrast and details. Good shot.

Now my (very own and personally) conclusion:

Third place: otter, it would be a shame to not let this one into the top three only because it is too perfect ;)

Second place: jdavtz, This is what I had in mind when thinking about the topic, tracks leading through the landscape like veins. Well made!

First place: sleepypanda, I love the colors and the speed impression of this picture. Unusual, technically well made, I love that you didn't crop the parts of the locomotive away, straightened the horizon or fixed the reflections. This picture really flashed me!

Congratulations sleepypanda - please start a new challenge.

14. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Nice challenge and a nice summary, many thanks.

Congrats to sleepypanda- a great shot. Where in Tokyo was that? I am moving there in January.

15. paulg macrumors member

thanks for the comments. Great winning picture.
    One question, how did you get into the drivers cabin?
    They wouldn't allow such things in the UK.

16. CK Williams macrumors regular

Nice topic and commentary freigeist.

Congratulations sleepypanda, looking forward to the next topic.

17. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

No crime in Japan :)

18. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

thanks for the comments. congrats, sleepypanda.

19. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

congrats sleepypanda, what's the next contest?

20. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

It looks like sleepypanda is very sleepy. Under the rules, the job of choosing and judging the next topic falls to jdavtz.

21. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Bruce beat me to it...

Contest closed ~ 44 hrs ago and still no post of any kind from the winner.
    Sleepypanda was last on-line this morning. As a newbie, maybe he doesn't realize he is responsible for the next one. May not even know he won.

Dale