Weekly Photo Contest - Sept 27 - Oct 4 (Theme: A day at the races)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by imac wannabe, Sep 27, 2012.

1. imac wannabe macrumors regular

Welcome to this week's photo contest!

Theme: A Day At The Races

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

I'm a huge NHRA (Drag Racing) fan and its on my mind lately due to the countdown. This can be soap box racing, horse racing anything! Have fun!!

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

4. georgeinnj macrumors regular

georgeinnj

watching the race

Attached Files:

5. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

6. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

7. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

Gentlemen, start your engines ...

[​IMG]

Canon 40D, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L @ 170mm, f/8, 1/350, -0.5 ev, manual exposure, autofocus

8. Bartlindon macrumors newbie

Bartlindon

9. imac wannabe thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, the contest is closed. I will have the results by the end of the day. Thanks everyone!:)

10. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

11. imac wannabe thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry everyone that I'm so late. I am vacationing at the moment and its hard to peel away the time to get to this...I'll be short and sweet:eek:

milbournosphere - Nice shot with the cones to convey speed. Looks like a day at the races!

acearchie - Beautifully panned with the slow shutter, this is an excellent shot!

fireman32 - This is a great shot on many levels. The execution of it is perfect. The horse is in exactly the right spot and is in perfect form! That horse is so symmetrical, I love it! I chuckle at the fans faces, they look so bored:)

ijohn.8.80 - Great day at the races shot! I'm sure the zoom lens makes the crowd look closer but I can't believe with all that mud flying no one is ducking:) Nice colors and very sharp.

jodelli - You've got lots of different angles in this photo which can be cool! I would however use the buildings to straighten the shot which will give the airplane an even more dramatic look to it.

georgeinnj - This photo made me laugh! It's a great Idea and I applaud you for recognizing it. The horse looks just as interested! Nicely done.

zagato27 - Cool shot. I like how they are both looking over to see if they are winning. I'm gonna give it to the one on the right:)

Cheese&Apple - Great idea to show the sea of people and sea of pink.

AxisOfBeagles - Ah yes. Anyone who has been to the races has seen this scene. You captured it very well. This is a hard exposure to get right with all the bright concrete. Very nice and the looks by the spectators are priceless;)

Bartlindon - Cutest shot of the bunch! You can feel the excitement in the children and the cheering moms on the sideline. I think anyone with kids will smile at this.

Thanks to everyone and sorry again for the late response, it was fun as usual!

3rd Place - zagato27

2nd Place - acearchie

1st Place - fireman32

12. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

WOW! I was expecting just a 1,2,3. Very nice of you to comment on each photo. You really put some effort into your critiques. Thanks. My fave, Barlindon....yeah I have kids. Love that everyone at the line is in motion EXCEPT one girl who is stock still, there's always the "one". Can't wait for the next contest:) Cheers

13. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Well done to all. Something for everyone this week! Some humour, some classics and even some style!

Re. the flying mud, we're Aussies, we don't move unless it's to knock off work or someone mentions beer! (Joking, I don't touch beer, espresso coffee is another thing though...)

14. Cheese&Apple, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Great job imac wannabe and thanks for the feedback! Have to say though that my fav is acearchie's shot.

Enjoy your vacation...cheers! :)

15. Bartlindon macrumors newbie

Bartlindon

Congratulations to the winners and to all!
    Difficult task suggesting the spirit of a race with a photograph...

Waiting for the new contest from Fireman32!

p.s. zagato27: thanks for your kind words; well, the one girl is my second daughter, 2 years old. I am proud of both: the first one, running away like the wind, and the second one, simply a rebel against any kind of rule ("3, 2, 1, go! is among them!) !

16. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for the kind words!

17. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

Thanks so much for choosing my photo. I am truly honored that I won. I will have a new contest chosen by the end of the day today. I think all the photos were winners.