Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Welcome to this week's photo contest!

Theme: Timeless

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

I've been really impressed by you guys in the past, and I look foward to seeing what you can do with the theme of Timeless. I'm open to some creative interpretations of this week's theme. Anything you can see a clear or dominant element of timelessness in is fair game. So, have at it!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Thought of this as being timeless. I have been hiking by this for close to 30 years and it never amazes me how it never really changes except for the odd new fallen tree. I have many years of photos of this rock and when I compare them to the first time I saw this, they are virtually identical looking. It is located in Jasper National Park in Alberta which I only live a couple of hours from. Thanks!

Attachments

• Timeless.jpg
    Timeless.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 252

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Timeless values: bravery, service, & honor
(re-edited)

Attachments

• Bravery and honor resize vignette.jpg
    Bravery and honor resize vignette.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 308
Last edited:

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
The contest is now closed. Winner will be announced tomorrow. Great shots, guys! ;)

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Awesome photographs this week, everyone! It was really hard to pick a winner. It wasn’t the easiest theme either.

Melizard - I LOVE this shot. You can feel the history of this place. Black and white was a great choice here. Adds to the weight of the history and timeless quality.

Firedept - I love the concept of your shot. There are certain places I love to hike too that have timeless features.

BarryJ - The wide aspect of your shot, coupled with the wintery scene feels timeless, like the March of the seasons is unstopable and timeless. I like the composition.

Milbournosphere - Along the same lines as firedept, I like this shot. That tree and landscape has undoubtedly scene many years and feels timeless.

Greenkitty2000 - I'm not seeing an image. Next....

Sideonecincy - Baseball does seem timeless, doesn’t it? It’s been our pastime, our escape, and it’s been woven into our culture for approximately a century. Seeing the baseballs reminds me of afternoons with my dad as a kid at the ballpark or playing with my cousins and neighbors in the backyard. It’s something I want my kids to remember too, and therein lies the timeless quality of your shot. Well done.

Deep diver - The objects themselves aren’t timeless, but they’re symbolic of timeless virtues: bravery, service, and honor. I like the concept.

iMac wannabe - You and sideonecincy found a few of my weaknesses, baseball and Ansel Adams! This isn’t a cheap remake, this is a fantastic landscape with lots of emotion and timeless quality. Well done!

Ijohn.8.80 - I have a sense of the timelessness of seasons, nature, and change when I see your shot. It represents cycles that are bigger than me, that endure far after I’m gone. Nice macro, too!

Someoldguy - The first thing I wanted to know was where this was taken. It’s a very intersting landscape/environmental portrait.

Elbert C - I really love this shot. I have a pocket watch my grandfather gave me that oozes with history. I like the themes of time, keeping time, history, and a very obvious tip of the hat to the ravages of time in your shot. I might have toned down the saturation a bit, but heck, it (and the # of likes) speaks for the quality of your photograph. Well done.

Mousemd - This is an interesting interpretation. I’m a little confused by it, to be honest, but it certainly did make me stop and stare for a while.

Chappers - Lovely landscape. I appreciate the timeless character of that place, and the photograph itself was well executed.

Fujiko7 - This is probably the best abstract interpretation of this week’s theme of the group. I am a huge fan of minimalist photography, and this one speaks to my soul. It’s got a certain timeless quality to it the other shots dont. It makes me feel small as I stand in the stream of time.

Fireman32 - I like your cityscape, though I don’t have an overwhelming sense of timelessness when I see it. Maybe because the architecture feels relatively modern to me. Still, a nice photograph.

Honorable mention - Melizard’s Venice

3rd place - Sideonecincy’s baseballs

2nd place - Elbert C’s rusty watch

1st place - imac wannabe’s Ansel Remake

Excellent job everyone! It was REALLY close.

Your turn, imac wannabe. ;)

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
The image is from my last trip to Tanzania , in 2005 . This guy ( he's a Masai ) was walking along truly in the middle of nowhere . Saw him on our way to , or from, Ngorongoro Crater. Shot with an Eos Elan7 and ( I think) my new , used 100-400 on Fujifilm ISO 400 print film . High (for then) res scan onto CD by the processor .
Probably one of my favorite pix as it , for me at least , just conveys the whole feel of that area. Was also my last trip with film , the 5D came out when we were there and , a few months later , I had one.

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Nice job in judging. I knew that my photo wasn't timeless so to speak but I threw it out there anyway. iMac Wannabe I love your photo and is well deserving of the win. Congrats! I look forward to your theme.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Great week - congrats iMac wannabe.

Mine was shot through a car window as we were driving home one day. I only cropped it to remove the road/highway.
No other editing - just loved the colours from the iron rich soil during the golden hour.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
Hey, thanks for your kind assessment of my photo. I'm glad you liked it! There were a lot of good pictures this time around, and the Ansell remake would have been my pick as well.

imac wannabe

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Appleton, WI
Thank you for the kind words and the win. There were some really nice shots in here this week, all should be proud and several could easily have won. I live near Green Bay so after last Monday night this takes a little of the edge off;)

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.