Weigh in on my purchasing decision..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iprashant.menon, Jun 3, 2010.

1. iprashant.menon macrumors newbie

This is what I have:

2006 Macbook Pro 15.4"
    • 2.33ghz C2D
    • 3gb ram (probably 3.5 actual)
    • 320gb 7200rpm HDD
    • ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 card with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM (shared?)
    Cost: $0

Am I going to gain much by buying a new 13.3" Macbook Pro? (Don't care about battery life)

2010 Macbook Pro 13.3"
    • 2.4ghz C2D
    • 4gb ram (+ability to upgrade to 8gb in future)
    • 320gb 7200rpm HDD
    • NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM
      (shared with main memory)
    • FREE IPOD TOUCH 8GB
    Cost: ~ $700.00 after selling old MBP

Couple Questions
    • Does the ATI card have 256mb of dedicated memory?
    • Would that offset any performance advantage the new Nvidia card has?
    • Is the new MBP's processor better than the old MBP's? (Even though both are C2D's? & obviously ignoring the negligible .07ghz in clock speed)
    • Am I going to regret only having ~3.5gb RAM in the future?
    • I might be able to buy a new 32gb 3rd gen ipod touch for $200, should I just buy one and stick with the old MBP?

2. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Having upgraded from a 13" to a 15", I would never go back. The increased resolution is so worth it. If I had a reason to upgrade, I would do so just to get the new "hi-res" screen available in them.

Why not consider the bottom line 15" model? You could sell the old computer AND the new iPod to subsidize the cost... I guess unless you really need the iPod.

3. iprashant.menon thread starter macrumors newbie

`

I'd like to see how it is to have an extension of my Mac in my pocket, I can see the touch being pretty useful. I think the new Macbooks/Pros are all the same resolution as the MBP I have, except the 17" which has an HD 1900x1200. They use to sell 1900x1200 HD for my old MBP but as far as I know, it's all sold out.

Anyone have any info on the dedicated VRAM / processor differences and how the 667mhz RAM on the old MBP would compare to the 1066mhz RAM on the new?

Worth the cost?