Weighing up external storage options - MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Edswr, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Edswr macrumors newbie

I currently have a 1TB USB 2.0 Buffalo external HDD which is almost full. It's great, but I need more space. Also, I transfer back and forth quite a bit so sometimes that can be a bit slow.

I've been thinking about getting a 64GB SDXC card as a kind of permanent resident in my MBPr (2.3/8/256 model), to boost the storage. I would keep files I wouldn't cry over should I ever lose it. My question is is this a viable option? Do any of you also do this? The benefit I would see is that it is always "part" of my laptop, as opposed to an external drive which means moving it around with my laptop.

I think I will end up getting a 1TB USB 3.0 Buffalo anyway as I think they're great and I could do with some extra storage. I wonder if I should just skip the SDXC (if not viable) as they are similar prices.

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

My problem with SD cards is that they stick out from the body too much, which means you can't leave it in permanently, and have to eject and take it out every time you move the laptop.

I'd just go for the USB3 drive and skip the SD plan.